Possible to used a Stored heading alignment after a shutdown and repair?

Xeno 1-1 HuDz

Hi, i have just been attempting to use a stored heading alignment after a shutdown and repair, however it always seems to be off afterwards (the hud is off to the side etc). I was not rearming or refueling before or during the alignment. Is it possible or is a normal alignment required?

Cheers,

5 hours ago, FireManDan said:

have the ground crew connect ground electrical power before you shut down. Itll keep your systems running

Not in my recent experience.  I did a repair with ground power and it still reset the nav.

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

Officially you'd have to:

• Turn the INS off
  • Turn the INS on and do a normal alignment
  • Turn the INS off
  • Repair
  • Turn the INS on and do a stored heading alignment

I'm not sure if IRL it's possible to attempt a stored heading alignment on the next sortie without specific preparation but it's not permitted in real life and it is not physically possible in DCS. To "re-cock" a jet you have to do an alignment and shut down without flying. Obviously in your case trying to repair and refly that's no time savings at all.

Repair lifts you off the ground enough that it should count as no longer on the ground and you'll lose ground power anyway. A repair without a power cycle also sounds like a good way to find an odd bug too.

• Like 1

Ground power should work fine for maintaining power during repairs.  I pretty much solely do ground pounding (since all the other people in the server are too busy trying to pad their aerial K/D to bother with A/G), resulting in a multitude of surprise perforations from those sneaky AAA hiding amongst the enemy armor.  I’m something of an expert when it comes to requesting repairs, and ground power is a must.

But honestly, if it came to it, I would rather just get a new plane than suffer that 8 minute full alignment.  Life’s  too short to waste it on alignment.

22 minutes ago, Coole28 said:

Ground power should work fine for maintaining power during repairs

In my experience it maintains power, but the INS doesn't maintain its nav solution. 

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

20 hours ago, Xeno 1-1 HuDz said:

@Coole28 So are you are saying that you do ground power, but you still have to do the 8 minute align anyway after the repair? Even tho all systems are still powered?

No, I’m saying if, for whatever reason, connecting ground power doesn’t work for you (for some people in this thread that appears to be the case), you would have to do a full 8 min alignment after repairs.  Personally, I’ve never had issues with ground power effecting alignment in the F-16 during repairs.  This is what I do:

Land > connect ground power > shut down engine (leave power switch on) > request repairs > restart engine > disconnect ground power

Haven’t run into any issues with this procedure (yet).

This literally just happened to me. I'm typing this during my 8min full alignment.

• Landed
  • Requested ground power and confirmed ground power was on
  • Shut down and performed repairs
  • Restarted jet and nav was out of alignment. Required full alignment to restore proper nav

13 hours ago, lethal205 said:

This literally just happened to me. I'm typing this during my 8min full alignment.

• Landed
  • Requested ground power and confirmed ground power was on
  • Shut down and performed repairs
  • Restarted jet and nav was out of alignment. Required full alignment to restore proper nav

2 hours ago, darkman222 said:

You can just open up the list->Ins page on the DED.

No matter with external power connected or not. As soon as the throttle goes to "cut off" the INS is reset. At least for me.

I have no idea why it works for me then, tested it yesterday with no problem.  I’m guessing there is some INS bug, as ED said that alignment is still a work in progress.

2 hours ago, darkman222 said:

You can just open up the list->Ins page on the DED.

No matter with external power connected or not. As soon as the throttle goes to "cut off" the INS is reset. At least for me.

@darkman222 I finally got around to testing this and I get exactly the same as you. With ground power connected, the moment i move thorttle frrom idle to OFF the INS is reset back to 0.00/99.

3 minutes ago, Coole28 said:

I have no idea why it works for me then, tested it yesterday with no problem.  I’m guessing there is some INS bug, as ED said that alignment is still a work in progress.

@Coole28 are you on stable or beta? could be a difference. I just tried this on BETA on a 4YA MP server and as soon as throttle goes frrom idle to off the INS resets back to 0.00/99. Was previously a /6 from a hot spawn.

3 hours ago, Xeno 1-1 HuDz said:

@darkman222 I finally got around to testing this and I get exactly the same as you. With ground power connected, the moment i move thorttle frrom idle to OFF the INS is reset back to 0.00/99.

@Coole28 are you on stable or beta? could be a difference. I just tried this on BETA on a 4YA MP server and as soon as throttle goes frrom idle to off the INS resets back to 0.00/99. Was previously a /6 from a hot spawn.

I’m on Beta, did it in a single player mission cold start using a stored heading with /10 as my initial alignment.  Technically, a /6 alignment is only possible from a hot start, as ED changed the alignment process a couple months ago and /6 is no longer obtainable (unless you have a hot start).  I wonder if having a /6 alignment is causing the issue due to it being technically unobtainable at the moment?

I suppose it’s possible too that I am the one that is actually experiencing a bug, and losing alignment is what is supposed to happen.  I have chronic alignment bugs on several modules that happen off and on, mostly for the F-18, F-16, and AV-8.

• 3 months later...

+ 1 to losing alignment with gpu on for repairs. 

On 10/8/2021 at 11:41 AM, Coole28 said:

I wonder if having a /6 alignment is causing the issue due to it being technically unobtainable at the moment?

I had the ins reset on shutdown after doing a cold start with stored heading and getting a /10.