Normandy or Channel map?

Spectrum48k

Normandy map is also bigger than the channel one. but the channel is one of the most detailed visually maps in DCS. Also the area they cover is different. The channel in the closet area of the straight between France and UK which produces less travel over water to fight, and the Normandy map is more to the south.

I think is a waste of energy to make very similar positions for 2 maps... and now with IL2 GB comming to Normandy is another one, plus the Cliffs of Dover one (still I think, the best of all by extension and very nice still with graphics), is too much for me. 

• Like 3

The Channel is newer and more detailed, Normandy covers a larger area. Both are nice., but to run the Channel you need a pretty good machine. I find that playing multiplayer on the Channel is a slightly better experience since the action is concentrated mostly over the Channel, so it's easy to find where everyone is. On the Storm of War server, I often end up flying up and down looking for action and never find anyone. The Storm of War is played on the Normandy map. The Growling Sidewinder WW2 server runs the Channel map. Lately, I find myself flying more frequently on the GS server, but that's just a personal preference. 

• Like 1

Channel map by a country mile. It's a much better looking map. It's not even close.

I can't speak to multiplayer issues, but the Channel map is head and shoulders above Normandy as far as eye candy goes. 

• Like 2

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

There's a lot of difference, so picking out which differencee you care more for is the technique to choose.
Chasing V1 sites in a Mosquito - Channel.
Falaise Pocket and Normandy breakout with big armour fights? That's Normandy.
Scrambling (Defending) against incoming Luftwaffe bombers along Dover's cliffs? Channel. Even if it doesn't actually fit the year well.
Strong love of the D-Day scenario, Normandy.
Site seeing? Channel.
Pure Size? Normandy.
Place to be when ED does a Bf 109 G-6? 😄 Channel.
Need targets/scenarios in Cherbourg or Le Havre? Normandy.

Like a winter map? Channel.

Very specific month, capacity for large scale ground warfare? Normandy.

PvP... I think this is set to change, but currently Normandy. The reason for this is because SOW and similar groups use Normandy as they have an existing campaign that can stick to accuracy.

Don't like ALG's 🙂 , Channel. (cmon, you know we exist, nothing beats those grass airfields of Lympne, Hawkinge etc)

Subjectively, I find both maps constraining, relying on modules out of time, never quite fitting. My passion is where The Channel map is set but in the years before it, with the pitched battles in the sky. But these maps are chosen to fit late war aircraft which is mostly air to ground after July 1944, when the war was a race to Berlin and moved pretty fast, not allowing for times of equality or balance which the PvP scene would benefit from.

Imo the period of the war where the contest in the skies was worth a good "game", was the German air campaign Summers 1940-1941 that includes the subset of time called the Battle of Britain. But sadly the best era for a knucklefight doesnt work for DCS because  we don't have early planes, we made the maps for the planes we had and by the time the complementary late planes were made and flying the fight was well east, 1945 in central Europe. Not to mention, the largest market for DCS is the US, who like their own planes over other countries planes (somwewhat obsessively so I might add) and there was only what, 9 pilots from America fighting before they officially joined in.  So we have to pause DCS until after the Americans joined. Meh. Can't have a war until they join, can't even have a simulation. 😞 And by this time Europe is over and Pacific will be more interesting.

• Like 4

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

4 hours ago, Pikey said:

There's a lot of difference, so picking out which differencee you care more for is the technique to choose.
Chasing V1 sites in a Mosquito - Channel.
Falaise Pocket and Normandy breakout with big armour fights? That's Normandy.
Scrambling (Defending) against incoming Luftwaffe bombers along Dover's cliffs? Channel. Even if it doesn't actually fit the year well.
Strong love of the D-Day scenario, Normandy.
Site seeing? Channel.
Pure Size? Normandy.
Place to be when ED does a Bf 109 G-6? 😄 Channel.
Need targets/scenarios in Cherbourg or Le Havre? Normandy.

Like a winter map? Channel.

Very specific month, capacity for large scale ground warfare? Normandy.

PvP... I think this is set to change, but currently Normandy. The reason for this is because SOW and similar groups use Normandy as they have an existing campaign that can stick to accuracy.

Don't like ALG's 🙂 , Channel. (cmon, you know we exist, nothing beats those grass airfields of Lympne, Hawkinge etc)

Subjectively, I find both maps constraining, relying on modules out of time, never quite fitting. My passion is where The Channel map is set but in the years before it, with the pitched battles in the sky. But these maps are chosen to fit late war aircraft which is mostly air to ground after July 1944, when the war was a race to Berlin and moved pretty fast, not allowing for times of equality or balance which the PvP scene would benefit from.

Imo the period of the war where the contest in the skies was worth a good "game", was the German air campaign Summers 1940-1941 that includes the subset of time called the Battle of Britain. But sadly the best era for a knucklefight doesnt work for DCS because  we don't have early planes, we made the maps for the planes we had and by the time the complementary late planes were made and flying the fight was well east, 1945 in central Europe. Not to mention, the largest market for DCS is the US, who like their own planes over other countries planes (somwewhat obsessively so I might add) and there was only what, 9 pilots from America fighting before they officially joined in.  So we have to pause DCS until after the Americans joined. Meh. Can't have a war until they join, can't even have a simulation. 😞 And by this time Europe is over and Pacific will be more interesting.

I think this post was well said, as the difference comes down really to what you want to do on the map. If you want strictly aerial combat, then the Channel map is great if your system can handle it. Remember, a slower system will put you at a disadvantage in multi-player game play. If you want aerial combat with more ground war involvement, then the Normandy map is obviously better historically speaking. Although the Channel map would allow you to create some interesting "what if" scenarios. 

• Like 2

I have both but fly almost exclusively the channel. It's probably the most beautiful map, sightseeing-wise. (excluding the marianas here, but they are much(!) smaller in landmass)

But everything else said here, is true also. It's quite small...

• Like 2

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

4 hours ago, Hiob said:

I have both but fly almost exclusively the channel. It's probably the most beautiful map, sightseeing-wise. (excluding the marianas here, but they are much(!) smaller in landmass)

But everything else said here, is true also. It's quite small...

It is a small(ish) map, but the eye candy is so delicious and there is so much to see, I find it much, much nicer than the Normandy map.

For down low warbird action and helicopters, it's fantastic. And sightseeing. I've spent more time flying over it just for the pleasure of flying than I have blowing stuff up.

• Like 1

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

On 10/2/2021 at 1:01 AM, Spectrum48k said:

This maps seem very similar,  what's the main difference, they both have the channel?

If size is a concern, it might pay to reference the image below:
Also, SoW wrote a comparison piece a while back. Note that this is comparing against the server's specific interests, which might be completely different from your own interests: https://stormofwar.net/2021/07/19/july-2021-dcs-map-comparison/

---//---

SoW-036-MapComparison_v01.jpg

Edited by philstyle
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

Thanks @philstyle for this handy overview.

@Spectrum48k Note though, that in many maps the vast majority of the area is very low detail in regards to settlements and "interesting stuff". You can see that pretty good from the comparision philstyle has posted. I would argue, that for helicopters and rel. slow flying warbirds, the area size is less important.

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

2 hours ago, gortex said:

They already added Cyprus, a while ago.

Japo meant that "Flight simulators map areas" map creator has to add it.

Edited by draconus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

• 1 year later...

decide on your module and then check the campaigns (I personally like Reflected and BalticDragon campaigns), base on campaigns you can decide on the map, but generally I would say Channel is the best map and I doubt even normandy 2 would be that great

• Like 1

oh, and 1 more thing, the support by Urga Media, the developer behind Normandy and Syria is the most terrible support Ive ever faced as end user compare to anything! after YEARS of released they dont bother to fix or even answer the users ! simple example: The Syria (and I guess Normandy too) cant support kneeboard yet, simply doesnt show the Map kneeboard and thats probably one line of code fix!  

Edited by Raviar