FLIR display quality

Beirut

I'm not one of the really hardcore techno-flyers so there are things I miss, but is the Horner FLIR display really that much blurrier than the Harrier display? The Harrier display, at night, is razor sharp and the Hornet is fuzzy.

Would/should they not be comparable?

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

I'm not one of the really hardcore techno-flyers so there are things I miss, but is the Horner FLIR display really that much blurrier than the Harrier display? The Harrier display, at night, is razor sharp and the Hornet is fuzzy.

When comparing the LITENINGs the Harrier pod is significantly better than everything but the A-10s

FLIR is in the process of a rework, looks like it will come with the Apache.

Mobius708

• Like 2

vor 7 Minuten schrieb Beirut:

Depends, if the Hornet uses a Gen 4 Litening, or an older one. There is a lot of upgrading optimization that took place over the last decades since the Litening was introduced. 

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

10 minutes ago, shagrat said:

Depends, if the Hornet uses a Gen 4 Litening, or an older one. There is a lot of upgrading optimization that took place over the last decades since the Litening was introduced. 

Hornet if its 05 should be using 2nd gen Litening pod, while the harrier which is now like 2018 time frame gets the Gen4 (ish) litening, the Gen4 is significant upgrade in terms of clarity, and the Raz one is missing SWIR which adds some other interesting possibilities, though I doubt ED or whoever is gonna model that.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

1 hour ago, Beirut said:

I just figured that since the Hornet is the Space Shuttle of Death with all the high-tech bells and whistles that its FLIR would (at least) match the Harrier's.

Well back in 2005 it did. The harrier is just a more modern module at this point. 

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

2 hours ago, Beirut said:

I'm surprised. I figured with all the toys added to the Hornet, it was a more modern plane.

I mean the harrier started as some early 2000's franken harrier, then Razbam got better docs/access so now its the "most modern" plane they can make. At the end of the day all of this "might" change with the upcoming FLIR/IR model. But who knows how fast or how well. Frankly IMO people expect waay too much from flir or TGP's.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Beirut said:

Every FLIR we have in the game right now is overperforming. I hope they all get tuned down and get more realistic visuals with the upcoming FLIR rework.

• Like 2

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

50 minutes ago, Shimmergloom667 said:

Every FLIR we have in the game right now is overperforming. I hope they all get tuned down and get more realistic visuals with the upcoming FLIR rework.

If that statement is based on your subject matter expertise, it would be good if you could "prove" this with relevant documentation to the ED, so that perhaps DCS could benefit from it. 

• Like 1

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

Just now, Gierasimov said:

If that statement is based on your subject matter expertise, it would be good if you could "prove" this with relevant documentation to the ED, so that perhaps DCS could benefit from it. 

No, it is based on dozens of videos of LITENINGs, ATFLIRs, various civilian camera systems etc. performing in regular old athmospheric conditions.

Heatblur come close with their LANTIRN implementation that features quality loss in digital zoom (not present in either EDs LITENING or ATFLIR), sensor overexposure, DIS come close with thjeir implemenation of zoom and focus in the WMD7.

All that is lacking in EDs TGPs right now.

• Like 1

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

4 minutes ago, Shimmergloom667 said:

No, it is based on dozens of videos of LITENINGs, ATFLIRs, various civilian camera systems etc. performing in regular old athmospheric conditions.

Heatblur come close with their LANTIRN implementation that features quality loss in digital zoom (not present in either EDs LITENING or ATFLIR), sensor overexposure, DIS come close with thjeir implemenation of zoom and focus in the WMD7.

OK then, fingers crossed they will get it just right with the new tech.

• Like 1

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

1 hour ago, Shimmergloom667 said:

As long as I get to keep my cool green high-tech Paveway-going-KABOOM! tv show on the MFD.

I want the money shot payoff for fiddlin' them fifty switches. :smoke:

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

1 hour ago, Beirut said:

As long as I get to keep my cool green high-tech Paveway-going-KABOOM! tv show on the MFD.

I want the money shot payoff for fiddlin' them fifty switches. :smoke:

You certainly will, it should look like blurry green blobs more often than not, though, that suddenly go up in a bright green overexposure blob of fiery goodness.

Edited by Shimmergloom667
  • Like 2

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Shimmergloom667:

"Videos" with unknown resolution, contrast, brightness, filmed from screen or from the system, post processed or a capture from  direct feed... That's a lot of guesswork, to state "this is how it should look".

I prefer the ED approach instead of trying to imitate obscure videos we don't know what version, Software, upgrades etc. we are watching...

Mentioning the F-14 LANTIRN is a good basis, as it faithfully represents the oldest, low resolution analogue system with a low resolution IR sensor.

The Lightening pods and AT-FLIR are round about 10 to 20 years more advanced and upgraded from those first analogue systems developed in the 80ies and early 90ies.

My guess is EDs SMEs that actually looked at the real things are possibly a good source, that can provide better input than assumption.

Just my 2 cents. 

• Like 2

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

My eyes spend allot of time behind various pieces of glass, from first gen to modern as of 3 years ago.  Granted Groundstuff, and can say the picture that dcs provides right know is way way to good.  F14 Lantirn is certainly more inline to how the systems will look.  Here's hoping the new thermal engine will allow PID to be much more difficult just like it is in the Real....

What i always did since Blackshark days is set the mfd res to the lowest in settings and that would make it seem more of what i have seen on ground systems

• Like 2

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

Attached is two photos from just my cellphone looking out my balcony at the CN Tower in Toronto, 10 nmi distant. Of course, this is 2018 technology... But I remember back when Nikon put out a pretty good 35mm film camera in the early 1980's that could match my cellphone today in image magnification quality. Just wondering how realistic these DCS pods are.

IMG_20210929_094305.jpg

IMG_20210929_094352.jpg

• Like 2

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

4 minutes ago, shagrat said:

"Videos" with unknown resolution, contrast, brightness, filmed from screen or from the system, post processed or a capture from  direct feed... That's a lot of guesswork, to state "this is how it should look".

I prefer the ED approach instead of trying to imitate obscure videos we don't know what version, Software, upgrades etc. we are watching...

Mentioning the F-14 LANTIRN is a good basis, as it faithfully represents the oldest, low resolution analogue system with a low resolution IR sensor.

The Lightening pods and AT-FLIR are round about 10 to 20 years more advanced and upgraded from those first analogue systems developed in the 80ies and early 90ies.

My guess is EDs SMEs that actually looked at the real things are possibly a good source, that can provide better input than assumption.

Just my 2 cents. 

While true in that DDIs that in turned have been filmed with an old GoPro at 720i aren't 100% faithful to real life: there is such a PLETHORA of older TGP videos available (as in: mid 2000s) that all show our ingame ones to be of too high clarity, without focus issues, without sensor exposure, without digital zoom quality loss that I kindly disagree. You are very true in that in the end ED have to decide what to make of all possible sources, including SME opinions of course.

3 minutes ago, Enduro14 said:

My eyes spend allot of time behind various pieces of glass, from first gen to modern as of 3 years ago.  Granted Groundstuff, and can say the picture that dcs provides right know is way way to good.  F14 Lantirn is certainly more inline to how the systems will look.  Here's hoping the new thermal engine will allow PID to be much more difficult just like it is in the Real....

What i always did since Blackshark days is set the mfd res to the lowest in settings and that would make it seem more of what i have seen on ground systems

I, too, have some experience with hi quality civilian stuff, made very recently no less - and that again leads me to say: our ingame renditions of optical systems are way too overperforming.

• Thanks 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Shimmergloom667:

You certainly will, it should look like blurry green blobs more often than not, though, that suddenly go up in a bright green overexposure blob of fiery goodness.

Depends if it is a modern FLIR like the ones that you can buy on Amazon that have a digital circuit measuring the input and automatically adjusting/dimming/filtering the signal, before it reaches the sensor. Then postprocessing software may compensate to optimize the actual video you see on the screen... Just saying. Depends on a lot of factors.

Shagrat

1 minute ago, shagrat said:

Depends if it is a modern FLIR like the ones that you can buy on Amazon that have a digital circuit measuring the input and automatically adjusting/dimming/filtering the signal, before it reaches the sensor. Then postprocessing software may compensate to optimize the actual video you see on the screen... Just saying. Depends on a lot of factors.

It does depend on a lot of factors. But our ingame rendition suffers no quality loss at all. Literally none, as of yet. While we may disagree on the details, I kinda can't believe that doesnt strike you as odd.

• Like 1

yup Max zoom and no quality loss and no environmental effects on these systems is Hugely lacking.  Hope things get Sim'd better incorporation with the new Thermal engine.  Same thing with NVG's  hope its a core thing they are working to improve will add allot to the SIM

• Like 1

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

By the way, another big factor is the environmental conditions. That's currently not modeled,but a huge influence on the real life images/Video.

• Like 1

Shagrat