joojoo

Pretty sure ED have already said they'd be expanding out the Supercarrier, including the hangar bay and a briefing room.

But for moving aircraft between the hangar bay and flight deck I guess they'd also need to include a driveable AS32-32A spotting dolly (tractor).  Because you do realise that pilots don't taxi their aircraft to and from the hangar deck don't you?

I do think non-flying flight deck roles could be appealing to many players though.

Edited by epoch
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/28/2021 at 10:50 AM, joojoo said:

is there possibility of going in the hangar after landing or to begin from the hangar deck?

IRL, pilots are not allowed on the elevators. 

Shortly before the pilot is ready to fly, the tug will

push his plane on to the elevator and bring it up to the

flight deck where he can then board his plane and take off.

On landing, the pilot exits his plane on the flight deck and

then the tug takes it back to the elevator and down to the hangar.

I too thought that it would be cool to ride up and down, only to find out that I can't.  Bummer.

When I heard that ED was going to improve elevator function, that's what I thought would happen.

What I would like to see is a pushback mechanism for parking on deck.

If even just a KB binding to park your aircraft correctly.

Animated tugs and marshals directing traffic would be icing on the cake.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

On 9/28/2021 at 7:10 PM, epoch said:

Pretty sure ED have already said they'd be expanding out the Supercarrier, including the hangar bay and a briefing room.

Yep, and if you open up ModelViewer2.exe, go into your main DCS folder -> Mods -> tech -> Supercarrier -> Shapes, you can find the .edm for the hangar (as well as the briefing room, LSO position, and a handset).

The current model of the Nimitz-Roosevelt class, and the new Kuznetsov, have the elevators and hangar doors animated, with a fairly high quality hangar model already.

The hangar model in the Mods folder is even higher in quality.

But for moving aircraft between the hangar bay and flight deck I guess they'd also need to include a driveable AS32-32A spotting dolly (tractor).

The static one that's already included is actually fully animated for driving around and handling aircraft, it just isn't implemented yet (same goes for all of the deck equipment used in the supercarrier).

Because you do realise that pilots don't taxi their aircraft to and from the hangar deck don't you?

Exactly right, but who says DCS players can only be pilots?

I do think non-flying flight deck roles could be appealing to many players though.

Well, it doesn't have to necessarily be a played position, though AI push-back tugs have been requested from a long time ago, and the functionality is basically identical.

Edited by Northstar98
formatting
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

On 9/28/2021 at 12:50 PM, joojoo said:

Hey to all

Are the elevators workable or not yet? I mean is there possibility of going in the hangar after landing or to begin from the hangar deck?

Thanx! 

I spent 4 years on a carrier and never once saw a flight crew come up with the plane.  Pretty much most planes in the hanger are down there for maintenance and are brought up to the deck based on maintenance schedules.  Pilots would walk to the plane on deck.  After the flight it would have it's load out changed for the following cycle according to that days strike plan.  This was true for training days as well as full up days.  Unless maintenance dictated otherwise the same planes went every other launch.  The spare assignment may have changed on different cycles, but for the most part the planes on the roof were the go planes for that day.  Often at night planes would come up and be swapped so others could go down.  Obviously if a plane went down for something broken, they would bring up a change out if one was available, but that is mostly why each squadron had a spare assigned.  Often a spare would be from a different squadron of the same type.

But it would be cool in DCS to be able to be able to get down to the hanger to be able to check it out.  At sea though the hanger is full of planes, and not the vast open space you see in the game.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What measure to stop trolls in MP driving them off the deck or creating traffic jams or wrecking planes?  

Then there will be newbs making mistakes... and the guy with a janky connection that lags.

There's a limit to realism.  Few players are going to line up at the start of a mission to look for FOD. 

• Like 1

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

At the moment, Ai uses a combination of the invisible pushback functionality as well as engine power to taxi into the hangar, it would be nice when ED implements plane director deck crew they could also add tractors to do this instead of Ai having their engine on below deck. 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 9/30/2021 at 12:18 PM, Northstar98 said:

Yep, and if you open up ModelViewer2.exe, go into your main DCS folder -> Mods -> tech -> Supercarrier -> Shapes, you can find the .edm for the hangar (as well as the briefing room, LSO position, and a handset).

I've flown through the CVN hangar...
I was trying to place an A-10 on the deck and set the height wrong.  It ended up in the hangar at 130kn... 🤣

• Like 1

Any news on the pushback mechanism for parking on deck?

• Like 2

BiBa...............BigBang

WIN 11-64 Pro. MoBo: ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING. SSD: LEXAR 790 4TB. CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K. GPU: MANLI RTX 2080 Ti. RAM: HyperX 3200 MHz 64 GB. Monitor: ASUS 4K 28"/VR: Pimax 4K/TrackIR-5/SAITEK X55-Yoke-Rudder-Trim Wheel.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/29/2021 at 5:23 PM, rayrayblues said:

IRL, pilots are not allowed on the elevators. 

Shortly before the pilot is ready to fly, the tug will

push his plane on to the elevator and bring it up to the

flight deck where he can then board his plane and take off.

On landing, the pilot exits his plane on the flight deck and

then the tug takes it back to the elevator and down to the hangar.

I too thought that it would be cool to ride up and down, only to find out that I can't.  Bummer.

When I heard that ED was going to improve elevator function, that's what I thought would happen.

What I would like to see is a pushback mechanism for parking on deck.

If even just a KB binding to park your aircraft correctly.

Animated tugs and marshals directing traffic would be icing on the cake.

Partially correct! IRL, no one is allowed to ride the elevators without express permission. There is a very small percentage of birds kept in the hangar and they are all down bad for maintenance. "Up" birds are kept on deck at all times. The aircraft are on deck long before the launch anyway. I'm not sure where the idea comes from about starting and ending in the hangar bay comes from...maybe Top Gun the movie!?
After aircraft recover, if they are "up" status, they will be re-armed and refueled as needed. Not too long after that, another crew comes to take the bird up again. Also, when aircraft recover, most aircraft are already parked in those places anyway, so it's not like valet parking out there. Recovering aircraft either go to the Fantail or the bow and the fighter line AKA safe parking line. If an aircraft is down, it will be diagnosed for what maintenance is needed. If it is determined that the bird is down, it will get put into a spot until the next elevator run can be coordinated. Running elevators is a big deal on a ship and involves almost everyone but God. You cannot just run those at will! 

Sorry to burst anyone's fantasy, just wanted to give a clear picture of the actual evolution that is CV flight operations.

I get the want for working elevators as eye popping cool animations and all, but it really is kind of useless! 

This is what we need...oh well, one can dream!

dc47216c86d0c2f8414b13bfb5367a89.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Stearmandriver said:

All I want: this, and the ability to actually get aircraft off the deck in some sort of reliable manner. And yet multiple bug reports with dirt simple tracks of the launch bugs are being ignored...

https://images.app.goo.gl/dcxM5Sg85QLFzGTa7

YESSS! That is the biggest thing FOR ME that is missing and killing my CASE III immersion...the lack of wands! 

• Like 2

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!