Search light not working in mission editor

Devil 505

I have followed the two video below but they are either out of date or something has been removed form the editor.  I can no longer find "Unit AD Searchlight on", "Third Reich" does not show in the editor list anymore as a country, and when loaded from a template, it is white, not red or blue power.  Flak Search Light 32 is not in the unit search anymore, I saw SL******32 but I cannot get it to activate with a trigger when being used as a red country.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Trying to add spotlights to a mission on the channel map.  I have posted the two videos below to show how they were setting up triggers but cannot find any updated info on how to use them in the editor.  I know the videos below are a little older.

1) When creating a new mission, make sure 3rd Reich is assigned to a coalition. If you already have a mission, press swap/change coalitions and add it.

2) Make sure the date is set properly or disable historical filter

3) When setting up searchlights, make sure to create a group consisting of:

Searchlight

Maschinensatz 3X

Place the Maschinensatz close to the searchlight.

When it's night and an enemy airplane is flying close enough, the searchlight should come alive. The Trigger "AD Searchlight on/off" has been removed and is not needed anymore.

Edited by razo+r
  • Thanks 1

Thank you both for the help.  I have got the search lights working great now.  The only thing I hope to see in future updates is better lighting effect in the cockpit when lit up by the search lights.  After being painted by 3 or 4 of them in the Mosquito, I cannot see anything on my console.  The entire screen is almost white, and considering I only play in VR, it really kills the immersion.  Theoretically I should be able to use my instruments even if the canopy is lit up and I cannot see anything outside, but when the console and all instruments are completely white, you cannot tell up from down ect.....  I should be able to see my console without it being whited out.  Any threads on this or are the devs aware?  I will post a video on here later with what I am experiencing.  

• 3 months later...
On 9/26/2021 at 3:27 PM, razo+r said:

1) When creating a new mission, make sure 3rd Reich is assigned to a coalition. If you already have a mission, press swap/change coalitions and add it.

2) Make sure the date is set properly or disable historical filter

3) When setting up searchlights, make sure to create a group consisting of:

Searchlight

Maschinensatz 3X

Place the Maschinensatz close to the searchlight.

When it's night and an enemy airplane is flying close enough, the searchlight should come alive. The Trigger "AD Searchlight on/off" has been removed and is not needed anymore.

I'm struggling with this too, I had been placing generators near the Searchlights, but only one of each. I will try again with three gens. 

To create a group, do I need to do anything special? Or just place the units close to each other? Neither the Searchlight nor the generator seems to have the "link unit" option. 

Thanks! 

"...I just wanna fly; put your arms around me baby, put your arms around me baby" - Sugar Ray

RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG B550 Gaming mobo, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB game install drive, Oculus Quest Pro via link cable, Standalone DCS beta.

17 hours ago, FupDuck said:

I'm struggling with this too, I had been placing generators near the Searchlights, but only one of each. I will try again with three gens. 

To create a group, do I need to do anything special? Or just place the units close to each other? Neither the Searchlight nor the generator seems to have the "link unit" option. 

Thanks! 

Make sure you add them in the same group and not an induvidual unit/group. And then just place them close enough and it will work.

1 hour ago, razo+r said:

Make sure you add them in the same group and not an induvidual unit/group. And then just place them close enough and it will work.

Thanks for the reply. Can you please tell me how I add different unit types to create a group? I created a Searchlight and a generator and put them right beside each other, but this didn't work. How do I make them into a group? 

Thanks.

"...I just wanna fly; put your arms around me baby, put your arms around me baby" - Sugar Ray

RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG B550 Gaming mobo, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB game install drive, Oculus Quest Pro via link cable, Standalone DCS beta.

10 minutes ago, FupDuck said:

Thanks for the reply. Can you please tell me how I add different unit types to create a group? I created a Searchlight and a generator and put them right beside each other, but this didn't work. How do I make them into a group? 

Thanks.

You press either of the circles symbols to make a group with multiple units

image.png

3 hours ago, razo+r said:

You press either of the circles symbols to make a group with multiple units

image.png

I did this, but it only created more of the same unit. 

I think I've figured it out now though. After creating units as described above, it is possible to change the unit category and type (KATEGORIE & TYP in the above image). I was not aware of this until watching an unrelated YouTube video. So the proper way to create working Searchlights:

1. Add a new ground unit and place it on the map. Under category, choose air defence, and under type choose Scheinwerfer.

2. Click the plus or right arrow as circled in the above image. There will now be two Scheinwerfer units. 

3. For this second Scheinwerfer unit, leave category as air defence, but change the type to Maschinensatz.

4. Make sure the two units are close to each other by zooming way in on them in the map. I keep them almost touching, but this may not be necessary.

This produces a functioning Searchlight consisting of two different units within the same group.

• 2 weeks later...