RAF Manston - Runway orientation and markings

450Devil
Go to solution Solved by gabuzomeu,

This is interesting, because last I flew the Mossie low and turned onto runway "292" my gyrocompas was indicating 290. After a lot of testing I've found that most of the warbirds are indicating headings 10~20 degrees off. They seem to be matching the runway markings, but they are not matching actual magnetic or true headings. If you put an A-10 on Manston "112" your true heading is 102 just as you say, and the jet's compass/HUD will show about 101 or 102 as well. 

I wonder if this is related to DCS' flat Earth model.

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

18 hours ago, gabuzomeu said:

There is a historical map for declination , covery 1580 to today’ and the whole world here.https://maps.ngdc.noaa.gov/viewers/historical_declination/

The variations are amazing, 
Let us know how you find dcs is dealing with this, 

Using the A-10 on other maps, this historical variation is taken into account. I haven’t specifically tested Channel and I’m usually too lazy to change the default mission date. 

Channel map is supposed to reflect 1944, and apparently declination for Kent in 44 was -10 degrees. Modern declination is less than 1 degree. That would explain why then runway markings are -10 degrees off. The in-game ruler should be showing true heading not magnetic. 

Edited by Nealius
  • Like 1

• Solution

hello

I did some tests and indeed the declination varies correctly on the map. and markings are 1944 on the map.
However, in testing, it seems the compass repeater is very wrong indicating 126? In Mosquito and P51

Also, interesting points in this discussion, 

with different behaviors of old and new maps and modules…

Details:

Asus Z-170E, Intel i5-6600K @ 4.2GHz, 16GB RAM

MSI GTX970 Gaming 4G

Win 10 Home