Upgrade HP Reverb G1 to G2?

Beamscanner

Sorry if this was asked already, I searched for a previous thread about this and couldn't find one. 

Is it worth upgrading from the G1 to the G2? 

Is a G3 on the horizon?

My only issue with the G1 is a lack of clarity. The center is pretty clear if I place the headset in the perfect spot. But any minor head movement will throw it out of focus. 

• Like 1

Sweet spot is only a little bit better on the G2, it's still fairly small. But the G2 is significantly brighter, has better colors, and has no mura that the G1 suffers from. It's a worthy upgrade, particularly if you can get one discounted (I've seen them as low as $400).

No rumors about a G3 yet that I've seen.

• Like 1

In addition to the reasons FoxTwo gave, the G2 also has a longer, narrower cable that is much lighter than the one on the G1.  The G2 also doesn't have the random dimming of one or both eyes like a lot of the G1s (including mine) did.  Those two things made upgrading worth it for me.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I have a G1 and bought a G2 and sold it as I didn’t feel it was worth the upgrade.

My main issue is that the new lenses are designed to be optimised at much higher resolution settings in SteamVR to achieve any upgrade in quality. This was detrimental to performance so I had to run it at the same resolution as my G1 to regain the performance at which point the graphics were no better. I guess if you have a 3090 you might be able to reap the improvements.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Yesterday my Reverb (G1) broke (photo below). Good reason for me to upgrade to the G2 now, should be here by the end of the week. 

image.png

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com