Unrealistic Lack of Engine power?

Mezsh

I know there's been a lot of controversy over the nerfing of the AV-8Bs engine power recently, but can someone explain to me why I can't take off vertically with an aircraft that's loaded to 19,000lbs and has an engine with 23,800lbs, with water on, just above sea level (70ft.). ambient temp of 25C and I can only get a few inches above the deck. Where's the ground effect?! Also, I've read many, many, many books on the various Harrier types, and every single pilot says that the Harrier has ridiculously fast acceleration at low level, but the Razbam Harrier is so sluggish, it's really spoilt my love for this jet, so I barely fly it any more (I used to fly it all the time). All the missions that I've made with Harriers taking off from Oil rigs are redundant now, because it just doesn't have the power, despite nearly having 5,000 in the bag. I have to take off with less than 2,000lbs of fuel, which just castrates the Harrier completely.

Just did VTO with 21000 lbs from 140 ft AGL, I was able to hover at 60-70 ft (50 ft with LIDS retracted) and transition to wingborne left me with 190 lbs of water.Screen_210924_115712.png

Screen_210924_115814.png

Screen_210924_115903.png

Vertical landing at this mass would be kinda difficult with water and probably impossible without it, but again, you have 3100 lbs of fuel to dump before VL.

Edit: at 25 deg. C, no wind

Edited by Aernov
  • Like 1

I worked with the Harriers that fought in the Falklands war... and when I serviced them, they had no problems at all taking off landing and goofin off... and never took on any water when they visited my airfield and going home over in Europe back then... these feel unstable and yes, different models... but it makes me wonder... of course I get the feeling some other aircraft besides these have been undermodeled too, but it is so hard to prove... and found even if you bring engineers and pilots to the modelers they stil dig in thier heels, as was the case with the engineers and combat pilots I knew a while back who tried to work with some flight sim modelers, and got no where. Not here, but other sims. I know a combat helo pilots who tells me things in some of the helos he taught and flew combat missions and they too are underpowered. So, I guess you can bring up charts, photos, affivits and swing dead chickens around... but it comes down to whomever makes the model. Good luck, we are rooting for them to be closer to the real thing.

Edited by Ramstein
mispells
  • Like 2

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR