So is petrovich going to get some form of tooltips?

sandcat

I was able to test the mi24 in the trial, it is great, in every way, except that the petrovich feels like another system on the aircraft, instead of a real pilot you interact with. Because one has to memorize different hotkeys to give commands. However the F-14 showed that a more realistic and intuitive command system is possible.

So why is the Mi-24 AI command interface so primitive for lack fo a better term? A player should not have to memorize keyboard commands to tell petrovich what to do.

Could ED clarify on what the plans for this are and whether they will add something to it. The AI code shown off by Belsimtek is probably great however the interface feels like the dark ages of flight sims, where everything was hotkeys to memorize.

• Like 2

I was able to test the mi24 in the trial, it is great, in every way, except that the petrovich feels like another system on the aircraft, instead of a real pilot you interact with. Because one has to memorize different hotkeys to give commands. However the F-14 showed that a more realistic and intuitive command system is possible.

So why is the Mi-24 AI command interface so primitive for lack fo a better term? A player should not have to memorize keyboard commands to tell petrovich what to do.

Could ED clarify on what the plans for this are and whether they will add something to it. The AI code shown off by Belsimtek is probably great however the interface feels like the dark ages of flight sims, where everything was hotkeys to memorize.
Well, for the F-14 I'm using VAICOM, so I cannot comment on the Jester wheel as I've never used it.
But for the Hind. What commands are you referring to? The setup of the weapons etc? I also use VoiceAttack for that, but for the quick commands I use my joystick hat as intended, and I find that it is a
great solution in the heat of the moment.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

I'd argue that Petrovich is better than Jester for a single player. I get that the scope of what they're doing is vastly different. An F14 RIO is obviously super different and dealing with intercepts, bvr combat, etc yada yada I know. 

But what I prefer about Petrovich is the design philosophy of using the co-pilot in a way to allow you to directly control things. Look here, target that, shoot now, etc. I know Heatblur is going for something else trying to simulate the complex relationship between pilot and rio, but as a single player I would 100% prefer just being able to click a button and push up and down left right on a switch in the F14 to move my radar up and down and stuff like that. Hook this target, etc. The wheel interface is so slow it really sucks for things that in real life the RIO would either do himself or you could just say over the intercom in three words. 

Also Petrovich's interface is very well documented in the quick start guide and it's really not much to remember. Especially as the pilot 

• Like 1

4 часа назад, gnomechild сказал:

I'd argue that Petrovich is better than Jester for a single player. I get that the scope of what they're doing is vastly different. An F14 RIO is obviously super different and dealing with intercepts, bvr combat, etc yada yada I know. 

But what I prefer about Petrovich is the design philosophy of using the co-pilot in a way to allow you to directly control things. Look here, target that, shoot now, etc. I know Heatblur is going for something else trying to simulate the complex relationship between pilot and rio, but as a single player I would 100% prefer just being able to click a button and push up and down left right on a switch in the F14 to move my radar up and down and stuff like that. Hook this target, etc. The wheel interface is so slow it really sucks for things that in real life the RIO would either do himself or you could just say over the intercom in three words. 

Also Petrovich's interface is very well documented in the quick start guide and it's really not much to remember. Especially as the pilot 

Well, except for calling out targets that's what they all are - interfaces to do things that you cannot do from where you're sitting, which is essential if we will ever get a full-fidelity T-72 module (ah, the dreams :rolleyes:). The Jester command wheel is so complex only because he needs to do so many things. Compare that to the Iceman command wheel, it's much more simple, though I think ED approach to the pilot control interface is a bit more intuitive than what Iceman currently has. Although I do appreciate the nav-point navigation, exact course/speed/altitude input and the ability to orbit, I could really use the Petrovich interactive command wheel when I do BVR from the back seat. Perhaps if ED introduces the Petrovich code to the core codebase other devs (HB included) could use that in their own modules, that would be great.

• Like 1

I put my entire Petrovich command set into a VoiceAttack profile, so he is literally doing my bidding. “Search there”, “Targets spotted”, “Target selected”, etc. In SP mode, with P flying, and me in the front seat, I can tell him “Turn left 15 degrees”, “Come to this heading”, “Climb 50 metres”, etc.

which leaves my hat switch free for more important actions too. 

SCAN Intel Core i9 10850K "Comet Lake", 32GB DDR4, 10GB NVIDIA RTX 3080, HP Reverb G2

Custom Mi-24 pit with magnetic braked cyclic and collective. See it here: Molevitch Mi-24 Pit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] www.blacksharkden.com

bsd sig 2021.jpg

17 hours ago, Rhinozherous said:

I really like the way ED implemented Petrovich. It is way faster than Jester and there is really not that much to remember. 

It's much simpler because there is very little that Petrovich has to do. I don't mind the interface, it works okay, but I would really, really like for Petrovich to give us some audio responses. "Yes, comrade" or "No, can't do that" or whatever really. It's taking them ages to record a few lines of dialogue. 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

On 9/22/2021 at 11:33 AM, sandcat said:

For me it's quitethe opposite. I find the Petrovich interface too much and annoying. Why do I need to have this artifical crosshair, that also shows heading and speed, to show up in my face and destroying my immersion? I can tell Petrovich just find "scan here", "launch missile", "stop scanning" without this interface. I can see what he's doing in my pilot sight, which is true to real life, so I really don't see the need for the artifical interface. It's really annoying me when I fly the Hind and have to open the interface just to tell Petrovich to "scan there" or to "shut the sights". The only exception, where the interface is really helpful imho, is the target selection if there are multiple targets next to each other.

• Like 2

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

On 9/24/2021 at 5:31 PM, admiki said:

How do you tell him to scan 30 right off the nose, 7 clicks away?

I don't know, you look right 30 degrees and put the cross at a distance you think is 7 clicks and a short press petro management-forward? After that he will put targeting cross there and if there are any targets a menu will appear. I think it works quite well.

I don't know, you look right 30 degrees and put the cross at a distance you think is 7 clicks and a short press petro management-forward? After that he will put targeting cross there and if there are any targets a menu will appear. I think it works quite well.
He was asking how to do it in VoiceAttack.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk