Landing procedure

bell_rj

So there I am, in my Mossie with about 50% fuel and no bombs, trying to land at Manston. Went through the checklist so engines are at full RPM, and flaps are down full (because the checklist says so). Throttles at idle and I float over the threshold at about 135mph and boy, I just cannot get this thing to want to land. It's floating on a cushion of air. I certainly can't align the top of the wiper blade with the horizon either for a decent landing.

I'm looking to do a decent landing rather than pile it into the runway and I can't do that with the lift I have, so I go around, and this repeats several times until I give in and raise the flaps. This makes quite a difference and I lose enough lift and... smash it into the runway, oops. Are you landing with full flap?

PC specs:

1 minute ago, bell_rj said:

So there I am, in my Mossie with about 50% fuel and no bombs, trying to land at Manston. Went through the checklist so engines are at full RPM, and flaps are down full (because the checklist says so). Throttles at idle and I float over the threshold at about 135mph and boy, I just cannot get this thing to want to land. It's floating on a cushion of air. I certainly can't align the top of the wiper blade with the horizon either for a decent landing.

I'm looking to do a decent landing rather than pile it into the runway and I can't do that with the lift I have, so I go around, and this repeats several times until I give in and raise the flaps. This makes quite a difference and I lose enough lift and... smash it into the runway, oops. Are you landing with full flap?

Yeah loosing speed/hight isn't easy if going straight ahead. 

I like with most DCS landings,  I don't do it by the book. I try and get as low a speed I can and I cut the engine early landing it like a spit.

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

^ Indeed, too fast I'd suspect. With full flaps I use about 125-130'ish on approach, so probably less than 120 on treshold, cut the throttles, flare and the plane settles down quickly and nicely.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

135 mph is the speed for a fully loaded aircraft.

125 mph is correct for a plane in the OP condition.

Full flap gives high drag and is the way to go for a grease landing.

Edited by Holbeach

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

You're not landing the Space Shuttle.

125/ 135 is fine for final approach, but once the landing is in the bag, you can start slowing down. Try to come across the threshold at 110'ish or even slower, if grossweight allows.

You may want to aim a little (!) short of the runway for the approach and then level off slightly above the ground and have her bleed off the speed in ground effect at idle while continuously adding backpressure to the stick, setting her down in a tail-low two-pointer or three-pointer attitude. This takes a bit of getting used to.

Take note that on twins, pulling the power off, will also decrease lift by a bit. So don't chop the throttles around.

Try to do everything in a consistant, fluid motion. It takes a little while to get the muscle memory down.

For the correct attitude, I have found that putting the parked windscreen-wiper onto the horizon/ end of the runway will provide a good TLAR setting..

Edited by Bremspropeller

So ein Feuerball, JUNGE!

47 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

You're not landing the Space Shuttle.

This made me laugh!

I tend to be a bit too impatient in my flying - i.e. go for short finals. I think you are all correct and I was too fast on finals (also possibly too high) and at the threshold.

Thanks everyone for the input and I shall enjoy practicing tonight!

Edited by bell_rj

PC specs:

Soooo... this was an interesting result. razo+r was actually the closest to the truth when he suggested I might still have power to the engines. I loaded the take-off practice mission, ensured throttles were at idle but was still taxiing forward. After checking the Axis controls it turns out that I'd adjusted the throttle Saturation to 60 yesterday (in an effort to make the throttle response a bit slower) and this meant that I was unable to throttle back fully, so when I was trying to land yesterday both engines had too far much power.  So that's why I couldn't land! A bit embarassing but a lesson learnt!      

• Like 1

PC specs: