Probe Heat question

Furiz
Go to solution Solved by Furiz,

IRL, probe heat is only used during icing conditions while aircraft is on the ground. As soon as your are in the air, probe heat comes on regardless of the switch position. Not sure in DCS

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Warm and moist are often the worst conditions for icing.  SALR is about 2degC per 1000ft, so on an ISA day you are in sub-zero air at only 7,500ft.  Add in some cloud (i.e moisture) and you have ice.

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

4 hours ago, Furiz said:

Hey,

how important is the Probe Heat switch during flight in warm temperatures?

Should that be on all the time or just in cold temperatures, or when there are iceing conditions?

Turn on the probe heat 2 minutes prior to takeoff if icing is possible, if not delay selecting probeheat as long as possible prior to takeoff. The probe heat activates regardless when the aircraft is airborne. It is crutial to activate probe heating with icing conditions because, for example, if the AOA probes freeze into a high-AOA condition the FLCS will think the aircraft is about to stall once you get weight off wheels, it will take control and force the aircraft's nose down in order to prevent the stall. This will, of course, slam our aircraft into the ground and you will not have such a good day afterwards. This happend to two F-16s taking off in formation where both aircraft slammed into the ground just after takeoff.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Furiz said:

Thnx, gonna gave to test it out I guess.

Please let us know how it goes. I'm interested as well :smile:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

1 hour ago, Furiz said:

I have set up a mission in Caucasus with -6C temp, winter, snow and clouds, and took it up to 30k without probe heat in "probe heat" position, and I didn't get the probe frozen, flew around for 5 mins maybe more.

Flying in clouds is the way to go if you want iceing, so make sure to fly around in them if you want to test it. Note: I have no idea if this is actually modelled or not.

2 hours ago, Furiz said:

I have set up a mission in Caucasus with -6C temp, winter, snow and clouds, and took it up to 30k without probe heat in "probe heat" position, and I didn't get the probe frozen, flew around for 5 mins maybe more.

It takes longer than 5min. The Tactical DCS Community Training Server used to be very cold. At around 28K, the probe would freeze within 30 minutes, but I don't recall the exact amount of time. It definitely happens though, you'll get very wrong airspeed readings etc.

You get clear air pitot freezing in DCS. The F-16 absolutely runs the pitot heat with the switch in off but in certain weather it needs a head start getting hot before the takeoff roll. If you get different freezing results by turning on the switch at AOA and not then that's a bug.