Mobile ICLS Beacon?

WytchCrypt

Now that we have the mobile Tacan Beacon TTS 3030, I'd love to see a mobile ICLS beacon as well.  Someone in a recent thread mentioned there is an actual unit called an AN/TPN-22 that was used in Iraq circa 2005 that supports ICLS.  Could we get that modeled and available in the mission editor?

AN_TPN-22 Automatic Carrier Landing System.jpg

Thanks!

• Like 3

Alienware Area-51M: i7-9700K, 165Hz 27" ASUS Swift PG279 IPS with G-SYNC, 32GB DDR4 Ram, 1TB M.2 PCie x4 SSD, 1TB SSHD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6, Windows 10, CH Eclipse...

Check out my fictional F/A 18-C Hornet and Su33 Flanker skins at: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=WytchCrypt&set_filter=Y

+1

Though I'm unsure what the AN/TPN-22 can do with regard to ICLS, radartutorial mentions the following modes:

1. Automatic Landing (I guess like ACLS, but unsure if it is actually capable of supporting ACLS, which I believe use Link 4A), I imagine this depends on whether or not the aircraft it's guiding is compatible or not.
  2. ILS (unsure if this includes ICLS functionality)
  3. PAR (Precision Approach RADAR)

In any case, we have an eastern PAR (RSP-7 ["Two Spot"], and it's associated DRL-7 ASR) but both are wholly non-functional (though animated) eye-candy, this would be a good BLUFOR equivalent, suitable for the late 90s and onwards.

The same can be said for field IFLOLS, RSBN, PRMG and other transportable NAVAIDS.

Edited by Northstar98
formatting

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

3 hours ago, Furiz said:

Just to clarify

ILS = Instrument Landing System

ICLS = Instrument Carrier Landing System

If you mean land based than its ILS.

He probably means ICLS since those can be used on land as well.

To clarify further: ICLS is not just “ILS, but on a carrier” — it's a separate system, with separate transmitters and receivers. A mobile ICLS (and ACLS) is needed to provide precision electronic approach guidance to aircraft who have that system rather than regular ILS hardware onboard (e.g the Hornet), but still want to land on a regular air field.

e: And also, yes, obviously — we need all the mobile and semi-permanent (and preferably some permanent) nav aids as placeable, scriptable, and user-defined objects: not just the ones Northstar listed, but regular VOR/DME, ARC-whatever, and even good old ILS. The funny thing is that the basic interfaces are all there, but none of the scripting is really in place and active.

Edited by Tippis
  • Like 2

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

OP I think the system you're after in the AN/TPN-30 MRAALS (Marine Remote Aproach And Landing System).

This (well, again I think - take with a heap of salt) is a combined TACAN/ICLS unit used by the USMC.

It can be seen in this video, where it's being used with USMC Superhornets:

EDIT: Found the thread OP was referring to, here it is.

Ramsay says that the AN/TPN-30 wasn't designed to support precision approaches (seems odd, given its name) and that the AN/TPS-22 supports ICLS and ACLS, with this being given as a citation.

Edited by Northstar98
formatting

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

On 9/22/2021 at 10:24 AM, Tippis said:

He probably means ICLS since those can be used on land as well.

To clarify further: ICLS is not just “ILS, but on a carrier” — it's a separate system, with separate transmitters and receivers. A mobile ICLS (and ACLS) is needed to provide precision electronic approach guidance to aircraft who don't have regular ILS hardware onboard, but still want to land on a regular air field.

AFAIK only the USMC has a land-based ICLS system (see above), whereas I think the Navy uses PAR and TACAN approaches, we obviously don't have PAR, though hopefully the long overdue ATC update will include it (we already have a PAR unit, but it's non-functional eye-candy that gets placed automatically on the Caucasus map).

On 9/22/2021 at 10:24 AM, Tippis said:

e: And also, yes, obviously — we need all the mobile and semi-permanent (and preferably some permanent) nav aids as placeable, scriptable, and user-defined objects: not just the ones Northstar listed, but regular VOR/DME, ARC-whatever, and even good old ILS. The funny thing is that the basic interfaces are all there, but none of the scripting is really in place and active.

Absolutely agreed, though I'd personally give higher priority to the transportable systems over permanent systems (as usually ED and 3rd parties get the permanent bit right, apart from Magnitude 3's MiG-21bis - which should be unified, instead of using it's own RSBN/PRMG and ARK system with its own completely seperate database, it just needs a way to assign frequencies to presets).

Edited by Northstar98
formatting

System:

6 hours ago, Tippis said:

And also, yes, obviously — we need all the mobile and semi-permanent (and preferably some permanent) nav aids as placeable, scriptable, and user-defined objects: not just the ones Northstar listed, but regular VOR/DME, ARC-whatever, and even good old ILS. The funny thing is that the basic interfaces are all there, but none of the scripting is really in place and active.

That sounds great, as long as we start with a functional mobile ICLS for field carrier landing practice first 🙂

• Like 1

Alienware Area-51M: i7-9700K, 165Hz 27" ASUS Swift PG279 IPS with G-SYNC, 32GB DDR4 Ram, 1TB M.2 PCie x4 SSD, 1TB SSHD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6, Windows 10, CH Eclipse...

Check out my fictional F/A 18-C Hornet and Su33 Flanker skins at: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=WytchCrypt&set_filter=Y