All I want to be able to do is read the cockpit - what do I need?

tspesh

I have an OG HTC Vive and am starting to think about an upgrade.  VR issues aside, I think the graphics on this device are actually pretty good but not good enough. I've got the A-10, P-51D, and F16...all high fidelity models (though the A-10 is pretty old so...maybe a free pass here).  I can putz around in VR and have a good time but any "serious" gameplay is pretty much impossible as I can't really read the cockpit, MFD's, buttons etc.

What is the low-end of a newer VR headset that will fix this?  What is best? Are the current top of the line headsets good enough to solve this issue? 

It depends on your finances:

The Options for Oculus Rift S or Quest 2 are  pretty good for less money

Hp reverb good choice with more money

Last VR helmets from Vive are pretty good but too expensive

And so ,and so...

check out your Bank account😉 before all

Say it friendly

Edited by cromhunt

if you have the hardware to drive it the MFD's are perfectly readable in the G2, and I am told this is also true of the newer HTC as well, with the G2 you need to turn your head more... as the image is less clear in peripheral vision,  this is due to the Fresnel lens technology that is in use on most of these headsets

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I still use a CV-1.

Just map the two zoom levels to hotas buttons and you will have no issues reading the MFD's.

I kind of zoom automatically now without thinking about it.

It was a real pain before we got the zoom options.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

12 minutes ago, Caster said:

In my personal experience the Quest 2 just didn't cut it, even with VERY high settings, couldn't read the MFDs on the viper or hornet

I have no problems reading all symbols on Viper (on Hornet is way easier) MFD, even without having to get closer. I can even read without problem almost all lables on Tomcat cockpit 

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

I've recently upgraded from the Rift S to the G2. The result is a significant upgrade of the clarity of the headset in the middle or the so called "sweet" spot. I can now read pretty much every single instrument without resorting to zoom. It does need beefier hardware to run properly, or be prepared to lower detail settings. It's also a bit of a hassle to set up. 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

Most economical with best image clarity in the cockpit would be Reverb G2.

Quest 2 would be even cheaper, however it does require a Facebook account to use it.

The latest software version for it is getting reports of increasing the sharpness of the image.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

+1 for the G2.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I upgraded from the Rift S to the G2 this summer for the exactly the same reason as your post. I thought VR was a game changer but was frustrated because I couldn’t easily read the gauges and dials. So I kept shifting from flatscreen and Track IR when I was learning something and went back to VR when I had it down. Frustrating. The G2 made all the difference, I am 100% VR now. All the above caveats apply though. I had to significantly upgrade my CPU and GPU and I had to fiddle with the WMR and Steam VR software plus add a few shader mods before I was happy. But you are lucky, @speedofheat has made a guide about how to optimize performance with the G2 and he keeps it up to date. That should save you a lot of time and frustration. 

i9 11900KF, RTX 3090 24GB G DDR6X, 1TB SSD, 64GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3400MHz, Reverb G2.

I have a G1 and with the IPD set to 55 everything is readable. Now, for those who haven't experienced VR, you have to look at a specific spot to get it sharp. But for a glance it hasn't disappoint. 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"The nation which forgets its defenders will be itself forgotten"

I'd advise you to consider a 2nd hand Reverb G1 (version2) if you want to save some money

With the G1 everything's perfectly readable in the cockpit (well... in the end of course it all depends on your system specs, but the Reverb would definitely not be the limiting factor when it comes to crisp and clear readable cockpit gauges)

If you have a bit more to spend, I'd suggest a new or 2nd hand Reverb G2

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

On 9/21/2021 at 7:39 PM, 5ephir0th said:

I have no problems reading all symbols on Viper (on Hornet is way easier) MFD, even without having to get closer. I can even read without problem almost all lables on Tomcat cockpit 

with a Quest 2?

Fly fast and leave a pretty wreck

9 hours ago, Caster said:

with a Quest 2?

Yes

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

On 9/21/2021 at 11:39 AM, tspesh said:

I have an OG HTC Vive and am starting to think about an upgrade.  VR issues aside, I think the graphics on this device are actually pretty good but not good enough. I've got the A-10, P-51D, and F16...all high fidelity models (though the A-10 is pretty old so...maybe a free pass here).  I can putz around in VR and have a good time but any "serious" gameplay is pretty much impossible as I can't really read the cockpit, MFD's, buttons etc.

What is the low-end of a newer VR headset that will fix this?  What is best? Are the current top of the line headsets good enough to solve this issue? 

VR3 and XR3 by Varjo seems to have come out with a VR headset that gets near natural eye resolution quality experience, Reviewers are making it seem it nearly if not completely eliminates blurriness on cockpit reading.

It's just too bad it costs $7000 dollars, including oddly enough, some sort of yearly subscription. This is not counting the possibly $1000s of dollars necessary to upgrade your computer to power this headset. 

It also has a few issues and DCS doesn't support some of its features (but might in the future) and the FOV is the same as an index, so that's going to still be an unnatural limitation on your experience. 

Edited by WelshZeCorgi

lets not forget the annual servicing cost that the VR3 and XR3 requires as well ... 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I have the Rift, Rift S, Quest 2, and Reverb G2.

While the Quest 2 is an amazing value, it doesn't hold a candle to the G2 for clarity, both in and out of the cockpit.

If you want to read MFDs, gauges, and labels on switches without any zoom, the G2 is close to perfect.

But I find the G2 is only good for sims.

As a general VR headset for playing all kinds of games, the Quest 2 has far superior controller tracking.

But the Quest 2 has one big disadvantage for someone like me: battery life.

The built-in battery has a fairly short life for my purposes.

If you have a modern router, you can use the air link which allows you to plug in an external battery.

By the time you buy a deluxe head strap for comfort and an external battery, the Quest 2 gets pretty close to the price of the G2.

The G2 was on sale not too long ago for $400, which was a steal.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I had not tried the Quest 2 since the latest update that claimed to enhance clarity, so I just updated Oculus and flew DCS World with the Quest 2.

I flew two missions: one with the F-14A and one with the F/A-18A.

The image quality was better than I remembered, but I still have to lean closer to read the MFDs on the Hornet.

F-14A switch labels are still too fuzzy to read without leaning in or zooming.

There is one other problem I forgot about that has plagued all of my Oculus headsets: double-image/ghosting when motion reprojection is active.

The Reverb G2 sometimes has ghosting, but it is practically non-existent compared to the Oculus.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]