Preferred level of turbulence

Same here, setting it to 30. This makes it feel similar to flying small airplanes in real world on most of the days in moderate climate zones. Not as brutal as around real world desert airports though, for that you would have to set it higher, maybe 60 - but then it also depends on the time of day, in the morning there is usually less turbulence while at noon and in the afternoon there is more.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have this question for long too.

I set to 18 for my carrier ops. Going to try 30 as mentioned above.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

On 9/22/2021 at 9:39 PM, andyw248 said:

Same here, setting it to 30. This makes it feel similar to flying small airplanes in real world on most of the days in moderate climate zones. Not as brutal as around real world desert airports though, for that you would have to set it higher, maybe 60 - but then it also depends on the time of day, in the morning there is usually less turbulence while at noon and in the afternoon there is more.

Interesting, is turbulence around desert airports (tropical zone) due to heated air rising from the ground?

First become an aviator, then become a terminator

50 minutes ago, Nealius said:

I followed this advice from Reflected, just bumped the values down by 5~10 or so.

Nice! Thanks!

@Reflected use those values in relation to a 10 knots wind?

Since the strength of the turbulence increases with the strenght of the wind, if you increase the wind to 20-25 knots, could the turbulence-values listed by Reflected cause unrealistic/overly exaggerated turbulence?

Edited by TimRobertsen

First become an aviator, then become a terminator

For those asking, turbulence can come in many forms. The common ones are thermal or convective turbulence, caused by rising air (can be from t-storms, uneven heating of the ground, etc), wind shears (a change in wind direction over a short distance or altitude window), mechanical turbulence (caused by wind over the ground or obstructions), and frontal turbulence (as the name implies, experienced when flying across a front). 

The new clouds in DCS are great, but as a pilot, one place that most flight sims do a really poor job of simulating is weather. In real world flying, there is a tremendous amount of time spent understanding and preparing for the weather before heading up, and in combat flight sims it is almost a non-factor.

Edited by davidrbarnette
corrected spelling
  • Like 2