Track issues valve index - USB related - MOBO advice

witwas

I am having constant tracking issues with my index, at first I tought it was the cable but then it stopped working all together and valve sent me a new one. After a lot of testing and back and forth mailing with valve tec support we came to the conclusion it’s my motherboard (specifically) USB chipset that is causing issues, apparently there isn’t enough bandwidth or the chip is bad.

If I have no other usb device plugged in (just the valve index usb in a 3.1 usb slot), I have 0 to no tracking issues, if I plug in more usb devices (like joystick, throttle….) the issues get worse to unplayable, so I tend to believe valve tec support. Also it gets way worse if I use the controllers.

My motherboard is a Asus Z390-A (1151 socket), any advice on a new motberoard would be appreciated, especially fellow flight simmers who use a lot of usb devices and have no issues with the index.

Edited by witwas

You might also consider an add in powered USB 3 card if you have a slot for it.

Unless you are just hoping to use this as an excuse for a new build... 

:smilewink:

Edit: Also have you tried a powered USB 3 Hub?
I have two of those I use on my EVGA Z390 board and they work great for me. Each port also has individual on/off switches. I would note I have also run an Index on it with no issues. By powered I mean each Hub has it's own A/C power connector. Running a Vive Pro 2 with the Index tracking and controllers now.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Probably coming up short on USB bus power.  I had that problem too until I installed one of these in my machine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FPIMJEW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I already have such kind of device, and it doesn't seem te work, maybe i need to buy another one, but a new setup sounds tempting 😀

I am also thinking its could be my power supply (it is the oldest piece in my setup), i am gonna swap out motberboard and powersupply

Edited by witwas