In-game capability of the MAP/EXP/DBS1/DBS2 Radar modes

Floydii

Really good to see the AG radar modes implemented and functioning as expected.

Question for the Devs: is the radar supposed to be able to resolve tank sized targets (either by themselves or in groups) in DBS2 mode at all? The same question for static structures placed by the mission designer in the editor.

I've flown a few test missions on Syria and Caucuses in order to check that it isn't a map issue, but I cannot (at any range or gain setting) resolve either structures placed in the editor or static vehicles by themselves or in groups. You can pick out map objects (airfield buildings/revetments etc) but anything you place in the editor seems invisible. I recall issues previously where Ground radar wouldn't show placed objects, but I thought that had been fixed.

Runways show up in perfect detail and you can pick out towns and cities.. but anything you want to bomb is invisible on the radar in the AG mode. If the radar in-game is modelled so that it cannot resolved ground vehicles, fair enough, but the large structures I place should show up.

I looked at a video of grim Reaper about F-18 EXP modes and you can detect a static goup of vehicule, not possible With JF-17

Now in GMT mode, it's near to impossible to detect moving targets, it's seems that static objects are not filtered.

Edited by sylkhan

it works now after yesterday's patch, you can resolve ground vehicles (just). I dropped the Gain right down, but you're actually better off looking for the contact 'stutter' at >30NM as they just blend into the as you get closer.

image.png

Addendum:
- Buildings show up VERY well now, they even give strong returns on the regular 'MAP' mode.
- Caucuses provides far better contrast than Syria in regard to picking objects from terrain (the above image is Syria out in the eastern deserts).

Edited by Floydii
  • Like 1