Undercarriage warning horn at +7 psi boost - early onset when throttle moved back

CalypteAviation

Currently the undercarriage warning horn engages at +7 lb/sq.in. boost. That is the Max Continuous power setting according to the manual (DCS) and Pilot Notes (real-world).

Pilot Notes provide various cruise power settings for the Mosquito - including -4 lb/sq.in. for long range cruise. This is currently unobtainable without the Gear Horn.

EDITED:

Mosquito Horn.trk

Edited by CalypteAviation
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, CalypteAviation said:

Currently the undercarriage warning horn engages at +7 lb/sq.in. boost. That is the Max Continuous power setting according to the manual (DCS) and Pilot Notes (real-world).

Pilot Notes provide various cruise power settings for the Mosquito - including -4 lb/sq.in. for long range cruise. This is currently unobtainable without the Gear Horn.

What was your RPM? I found out it's the warning goes on on higher boost if your RPM is lowered.

• Like 1
G6XLe1V.png

33 minutes ago, iFoxRomeo said:

Pilot Manual - De Havilland Mosquito FB 6 - undercarriage.png

This assumes, that ED exactly matched the real Merlin 25 engine throttle in game. Which means that it produces the right amount of boost at the right amount of throttle angle. These things are hardly linear.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

38 minutes ago, Davee said:

Even with throttles pulled fully back is this real?  For example, descending from altitude at idle is impossible because of the warning sound. 

The A10C has exactly the same alarm. There’s a nice gear horn mute button you can press on the WH throttle though…

5 hours ago, some1 said:

This assumes, that ED exactly matched the real Merlin 25 engine throttle in game. Which means that it produces the right amount of boost at the right amount of throttle angle. These things are hardly linear.

As I said, quoting the Pilot Notes, +7 boost is max continuous power. It is hardly believable that Mosquito pilots would spend all their flights with gear horn buzzing.

• Like 1

I'd like to pull the circuit breaker for this annoying horn, but where is it....

At sealevel standatd wx the throttles give 7 inches just above the horn threshold. No way to decelerate this way. Looking at the video I posted, it seems "working as intended", but I hope not.

Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

• 4 weeks later...

Same issue here. Very odd indeed that there is no switch or other means to

silence this annoying horn. There is one in the P-51, and on many other planes...

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

Perhaps maintenance crews back in the day unofficially snipped the wires? Little “life hacks” like that aren’t often documented and only come from first-hand oral accounts, much like some of the janky stuff Tomcat crews did with screwdrivers. 

Edited by Nealius

On 9/19/2021 at 12:15 PM, Davee said:

Even with throttles pulled fully back is this real?  For example, descending from altitude at idle is impossible because of the warning sound. 

How is the sound stopping you from descending? 😉

On 9/19/2021 at 1:08 PM, some1 said:

Ofc boost level vs throttle position is not linear, climb to 10k ft and you will have less then 7lbs at throttle wide open.

1 hour ago, SMH said:

How is the sound stopping you from descending? 😉

Wonder my self as well 🙂

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

58 minutes ago, grafspee said:

Ofc boost level vs throttle position is not linear, climb to 10k ft and you will have less then 7lbs at throttle wide open.

That's not what I meant. The horn starts at 1/4 throttle angle, it's a simple contact switch after all, but how much boost the real engine produces at that throttle lever position at sea level? That's the real question here. 

• Thanks 1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

42 minutes ago, some1 said:

That's not what I meant. The horn starts at 1/4 throttle angle, it's a simple contact switch after all, but how much boost the real engine produces at that throttle lever position at sea level? That's the real question here. 

ED model and calculate that things, so it is accurate as can be.

ZvilCM1.png

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

15 minutes ago, some1 said:

And that quote proves what, actually?

Travel of the throttle levers is very short for power obtained, this mean that you just touch the throttle and you have a lot of power.

If you have something like this mentioned in pilot notes then it means that throttle behavior is abnormal and warns pilot to expect different then other planes behavior. 

Throttle maxed out, everyone expect that you get max power, throttle 1/4 no one expect half power.

It is better then nothing.

Edited by grafspee
  • Like 2

First of all, the specific quote relates to ground behavior. You don't need a lot of power to start rolling. Doesn't say anything about flying and how much throttle angle you need to obtain cruise setting.

Second, the throttles in Mosquito had indeed a short travel. Like they were literally a short, highly geared levers, which don't move very much, and that could caught pilots used to other types by surprise. Hence the extra warning. It's not about having a lot of power at small throttle angle, but rather the whole throttle having a short throw between closed and fully open position. 

EDIT:

- To obtain +7 boost in Mosquito's Merlins on the ground in DCS you need roughly 26% of joystick input.

- To obtain 44 inHg in Mustang's Packard Merlin on the ground in DCS you need roughly 37% of joystick input. (44 inHg is equivalent to +7 boost)

That alone raises an eyebrow. 

Edited by some1
  • Like 1