Kiowa 2021 ? or Next year

fapador

Educated guess based on all the other topics asking this same question, is that we can expect no news or updates in the foreseeable future. PC is still at it as shown in the recent updates to the Gazelle yesterday. As much as I would love to get my hands on the Kiowa I am not expecting anything for quite a while. I would love to be the scout element for the upcoming Apache finding and lasting targets but this seems to be something much farther down the road than originally hoped. I wish the folks at Polychop nothing but the best and look forward to a great future with them. 

• Like 10

i7-7700K @ 5.2Ghz

SLI 1080Ti

64GB GSkill Trident Z RGB 4133

Asus Maximus IX Extreme

Custom Water Cooling Loop

TM Warthog/ MFG Crosswind

I should point out, that the Longbow's release (whenever that will be) won't stop me from getting the Kiowa... sure, they are complimentary, but they also have been known to do well independently too, as uber-gunship and mini-me microgunship for LIC !  

Clearly for some uses, great agility, a Browning 50 and a few rockets, have an indispensible quality all their own, in much the same way that the MH-6 and AH-6 Littiebird variants still keep getting fielded and upgraded endlessly, in the same world of Longbows, Tigers, Guardians and Hinds!  

One reason I'm looking forward to the Kiowa, is that I'm starting to wonder just how complex the Longbow will be to learn, and to get enough controls for... have you seen the number of hat switches exist on the real Longbow?!?!  Kinda think a T.16000m just isnt' gonna cut it... might need some stout AI helpers to keep it all working smoothly!  On the other hand, the Kiowa seems like it might be more manageable, and still rain hellfire thanks to AI  Apaches.

Either way, more rotors can't hurt!

• Like 8

On 9/20/2021 at 9:09 AM, Nahen said:

But please, before retirement ... when I will still have the strength to hold the joystick in my paws ...

What!  We can fly after we retire.  Ut Oh, I am retired and still fly!  Question is will we hear ANYTHING before I die.

• Like 10

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Win 10 Pro, Intel i7 8700k @4.6 GHz, EVGA RTX 3080  FTW, Ultra 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Acer 27" flat screen, Oculus Rift S, HP Reverb G2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Rudder Pedals HOTAS, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5 Pro w/Vector Expansion, PointCTRL.

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly at this point, I’ve given up hope of seeing her this year.  In fact I’m just hoping that ED will decide to develop her themselves now that they can see the obvious interest in this airframe, as I am fully expecting Polychop so walk away as this point.

I hope I’m wrong, and I will fully support Polychop if they do get this module released, but the complete radio silence and lack of any visibly development is waving some huge red flags for me.

I know they have said they were dropping back on the comms to concentrate on the module rather than negative posts, BUT I think its fair to say they have gone too far in that respect. 

just some sign of life would put most of the concerns and fears to bed, but I’m not convinced that will happen.

• Like 3

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

1 hour ago, Cowboy10uk said:

Honestly at this point, I’ve given up hope of seeing her this year.  In fact I’m just hoping that ED will decide to develop her themselves now that they can see the obvious interest in this airframe, as I am fully expecting Polychop so walk away as this point.

Dafuq? Why would they just walk away just before releasing it, after pourring so much work into the module?! :huh:

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 3

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Polychop is a grand total of 3 guys. So yeah, they will need time to get their coding done. And even if the Kiowa was close to being done it makes financial sense to wait until after the apache release to release their product.

My thought is they want to release a completed module of high quality to assure its success, and the Kiowa has some stiff completion as we just had the hind and now apache. Honestly a staggered release makes sense as it gives us time to play with and get used to each module before another one drops in. So it makes more sense to see the Kiowa coming into DCS a few months after the apache. So an educated guess might be 1st or 2nd quarter 2022. 

• Like 4

"Now how do I land this thing?" *Sound of pages turning*

6 hours ago, Funkysak said:

My thought is they want to release a completed module of high quality to assure its success, 

I agree completely. And with a tiny team of 3 people, getting to a high quality for a release in a very demanding market (meaning DCS aviators) probably takes quite a bit of time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, huchanronaa said:

2021 is almost over, or there is no news about R&D progress?

This is the latest. 

On a general note: wait and see, when the team is ready they will share updates. There have been numerous topics discussing the current state and they all got closed by mods because it leads to nothing. 

• 3 weeks later...

It was probably a conflict of interests. They had the product in development while ED, which has the priority, had the Apache. Ed gave them a window of release and they failed to get the product up to a releasable level. Now, they were pushed over to a next available release window which I bet they were more than happy to take. In the end it's a win win for everybody.

To be honest, I wasn't very excited for the Kiowa myself. There are several missing core features in the DCS, that in my opinion make helos gameplay less than optimal. With the announcement of the Apache, everything has changed and it seems all now too promising and exciting; at least for the mid/long term and I'd be more than happy to play both modules.

Edited by stormridersp

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

With respect I don't quite agree... I doubt ED has "release windows", say the way Dizney and their MSeeU series does... I think for ED and DCS, once a dev submits their "release" item, they get it evaluated, then beta testers, and if it's good, they give it a greenlight and put it in the store. Bring in that revenue, it's good for ED, good for DCS, good for the dev team looking for a reward for the long days of effort over years of their spare time, good for the enthusiasts who are addicted to new content to crash...uh, I mean fly to victory! 

But I could be wrong, maybe there is a hardcore marketing schedule that is "hardcoded" into ED's plans? 

Going from a end of 2020 release date into complete radio silence even a year later sounds more like an unexpected implosion than actual plan.

But it doesn't really matter, the Apache looks like a far better choice in terms of complexity and fidelity, and I'd rather not buy another PC scout heli when the first one remains so painfully mediocre. Fool me once.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Sephyrius said:

Going from a end of 2020 release date into complete radio silence even a year later sounds more like an unexpected implosion than actual plan.

But it doesn't really matter, the Apache looks like a far better choice in terms of complexity and fidelity, and I'd rather not buy another PC scout heli when the first one remains so painfully mediocre. Fool me once.

Exactly my thoughts. They lost their window of opportunity at the first crack at sales. Now, they'll fall behind the Apache. There will be some hardcore Scouts who will buy the Kiowa, but nothing what they could have had. 

I am in, if they release something great. Because the apache will be great, but very easy to fly. These type of small helicopters are great for fun and help the apache a lot. BUT they have to do things right, and for now they only have a Gazelle, that don't fill the bar to everyone. We will see.

Forget about "helping" AH-64 ... The AH-64 will do just fine on its own - especially when it gets a working radar. Kiowa will only disturb him.

The Kiowa will be a great complement to the UH-1 during rescue missions. And only for this I will buy it.

On 9/27/2021 at 8:56 AM, Nahen said:

Apache will be a much easier helicopter to learn than the Hind - when it comes to the pilotage itself. As for the systems, it will be at the A-10, F-16 or F / A-18 level

Ehh, i would say it's 180° opposite to what i like - i like challenging pilotage part and relatively simple avionics and systems. Like an F-14, MiG-21 or Hind - easy to learn but hard to master. Maybe Kiowa as well?

I'm afraid that we will not see it soon, I think the Team has some endless problem, of course I'm guessing but sorry, I don't see the end here. I'm not optimistic, looking at what is happening with Gazelle. I hope Im wrong and we will see Kiowa in January for example but it takes too long till now.

• Like 1

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro