Reflector gunsight use

Hornetjock

I see a switch that turns on the reflector gunsight, which also moves the pilot to a "centralised" position in the cockpit - the better to align him with the target. How did it work IRL? Did the pilot simply "lean" across? Seems very awkward in the most stressful moment of the mission. Must have made dogfighting a nightmare...Anyone know?

Good question. I really don't know, but there are plenty of photos on the internet showing Mosquitos with off-center gun-sights (i.e. aligned with the pilot), instead of the aircraft-centered like the one we got in this sim version.

Also, in VR it doesn't currently move the pilot when you turn on the gun sight. So I have to lean way over. It's do-able, but feels very odd.

Of course, I do assume ED did their research correctly for this model. So I'm wondering why would it be this way IRL? There's no advantage I can think of, just unnecessary awkwardness. Lots of other WW2 aircraft have non-aircraft-centered gun sights, and they all worked just fine.

Idea: I'm going to make a VA macro to slide my VR head position over and back again.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Setup: Vive Pro 2, RTX 3090, I7-11700K, VKB Gladiator II/K conversion, TWCS, TPR pedals, PlaySeat, SimShaker, VoiceAttack

1 minute ago, Darrylx444 said:

Good question. I really don't know, but there are plenty of photos on the internet showing Mosquitos with off-center gun-sights (i.e. aligned with the pilot), instead of the aircraft-centered like the one we got in this sim version.

Also, in VR it doesn't currently move the pilot when you turn on the gun sight. So I have to lean way over. It's do-able, but feels very odd.

Of course, I do assume ED did their research correctly for this model. So I'm wondering why would it be this way IRL? There's no advantage I can think of, just unnecessary awkwardness. Lots of other WW2 aircraft have non-aircraft-centered gun sights, and they all worked just fine.

Idea: I'm going to make a VA macro to slide my VR head position over and back again.

I was looking to see if I had missed something for us VR-heads.  Guess not.

I'll be insterested to see if you can get VS(? voice Attack) to do this.

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Win 10 Pro, Intel i7 8700k @4.6 GHz, EVGA RTX 3080  FTW, Ultra 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Acer 27" flat screen, Oculus Rift S, HP Reverb G2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Rudder Pedals HOTAS, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5 Pro w/Vector Expansion, PointCTRL.

2 minutes ago, Doc3908 said:

I just move my head to the left and recenter the VR view... 

Yeah, I do that as well but would love a cleaner solution

• Like 1

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Win 10 Pro, Intel i7 8700k @4.6 GHz, EVGA RTX 3080  FTW, Ultra 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Acer 27" flat screen, Oculus Rift S, HP Reverb G2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Rudder Pedals HOTAS, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5 Pro w/Vector Expansion, PointCTRL.

13 hours ago, Darrylx444 said:

This pretty much, it's an odd one - but have you found a pic of a FB version with a piloc-centred sight? I've found a FB cockpit with a sight that looks like it's a) inline with the stick and b) higher ( or perhaps a smaller sight ) so it's not in the way of the VSI, but no idea which FB version it's from. The cockpit is actually fairly nice given how small it is - aside from the boost dials being a bit small and the sight getting in the way, there's some stuff hidden away but usually not things you need to use a lot or in a hurry - who really cares if the starter buttons are where they are? does make the sight a bit strange.

Edited by Richard Dastardly

Most Wanted: the angry Naval Lynx | Seafire | Buccaneer | Hawker Hunter | Hawker Tempest/Sea Fury | Su-17/22 | rough strip rearming / construction

16 hours ago, AKA_Clutter said:

I was looking to see if I had missed something for us VR-heads.  Guess not.

I'll be insterested to see if you can get VS(? voice Attack) to do this.

Yes, I just made some quick voice commands in VA (Voice Attack) that move your virtual head up,down, left, right, forward, and back. And another one to save the final position as the new default, so I don't have to ever do it again for the Mossie.

I also made a different pair of commands to precisely slide my head over (in one step) to align with the gun sights, and then back to the seat again. Could also make it a button via VA, but I think it's fine by voice.

The DCS commands used are explained here:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Setup: Vive Pro 2, RTX 3090, I7-11700K, VKB Gladiator II/K conversion, TWCS, TPR pedals, PlaySeat, SimShaker, VoiceAttack

10 minutes ago, Morat said:

The default position in VR also seems to be high and left, making the gunsight even more awkward to use that it probably has to be.

Let's see how ED tweak it.

The default is wrong. You can move the position of the pilot with one of the camera positions in vr although i have to reset it every mission. This also means you can cheat by sliding the camera across to the middle. I actually prefer to lean over.   

Win 10 64//4.5g i7 Kaby Lake//gtx Titan x pascal//16gb 3200ram//Asus Maximux Hero IX//Oculus Rift//

On 9/19/2021 at 12:35 AM, Hornetjock said:

I see a switch that turns on the reflector gunsight, which also moves the pilot to a "centralised" position in the cockpit - the better to align him with the target. How did it work IRL? Did the pilot simply "lean" across? Seems very awkward in the most stressful moment of the mission. Must have made dogfighting a nightmare...Anyone know?

This is why I love flying in VR. I just lean my head over, probably in the same way the original pilots had to. It all adds to the realism 🙂

Kit: i9 10900k, Rog Strix RTX 4090, Asus Rog strix Z490 Mobo, 64 GB, Varjo Aero HMD running Open VR

Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, Thrustmaster Pendular rudder peddles

MODS: Pretty much all of them

I don't find it too difficult to use in VR, but I do find that it completely blocks my VVI and slip indicator, making level flight and coordinated maneuvers mostly impossible. 
I'm looking for a way to export those gauges to an external monitor like MFCDs so you can use all of them.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

On 9/20/2021 at 10:27 AM, bones1014 said:

I'm looking for a way to export those gauges to an external monitor like MFCDs so you can use all of them.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

It seems to me the most important gauge is the VSI. How the hell do you fly at night or in cloud without a horizon in the Mossie? I got into cloud and needed a chiropractor by the time I got out!

I can see the 9 o clock position of the VVI with my left eye in VR.  When I need to see more, I just lean in or left slightly.

Perhaps adding an overlay like the controls overlay for people who have trouble seeing the VVI could work.

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

49 minutes ago, Hornetjock said:

It seems to me the most important gauge is the VSI. How the hell do you fly at night or in cloud without a horizon in the Mossie? I got into cloud and needed a chiropractor by the time I got out!

Look at the altimeter. Easier to see and reacts quicker in real life. Also shows climb/descent rate, just indirect/not with a nice number. 

Edited by razo+r
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

What are the keys to move the head over in VR to get center sight  . Thanks new too the Mossy . Can i save the position .

Edited by KoN

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

On 5/19/2023 at 3:48 AM, KoN said:

What are the keys to move the head over in VR to get center sight  . Thanks new too the Mossy . Can i save the position .

In the View Cockpit category for the plane you'll want to map the Cockpit Camera Move xxxxx binds. Note that the Cockpit Camera Move Center bind just puts your point of view back in the original position, it doesn't recenter your headset. So you can use the Right binding to move over in front of the gunsite, then Center to get back to the normal position. I've never been able to figure out how to save positions in VR unfortunately.

7 hours ago, AGM2017 said:

In the View Cockpit category for the plane you'll want to map the Cockpit Camera Move xxxxx binds. Note that the Cockpit Camera Move Center bind just puts your point of view back in the original position, it doesn't recenter your headset. So you can use the Right binding to move over in front of the gunsite, then Center to get back to the normal position. I've never been able to figure out how to save positions in VR unfortunately.

There is a save custom snap view . I've managed too save my view looking straight on to gun sight . Needs some tweaking but it works .

I just moved my head into position and saved with key bind . Hold the keys for a few seconds. Next time you start DCS your saved view should be there. 

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .