Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hey all,

 

I am trying to align the Mavericks but it doesn't work.

 

I am on the ground with a tank located on the other side of the runway. I have the F16 pointed at the tank and I am positioned at the opposite end of the runway. I set the Mavericks to PRE mode. I slew the TGP to the tank and TMS forward to lock the tank. I then slew the Maverick (which is not pointed towards the tank, it's off) and center it on the tank then TMS up. The Maverick locks the tank and BSGT appears and I click it. That should be it right?

 

If I TMS aft on the Maverick to unlock the target, the Maverick slews back to being off again.

 

Anyone have any luck with this? I have watch Wags video on aligning the Mavs but I can't get it to work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Lowlyslows said:

Hey all,

 

I am trying to align the Mavericks but it doesn't work.

 

I am on the ground with a tank located on the other side of the runway. I have the F16 pointed at the tank and I am positioned at the opposite end of the runway. I set the Mavericks to PRE mode. I slew the TGP to the tank and TMS forward to lock the tank. I then slew the Maverick (which is not pointed towards the tank, it's off) and center it on the tank then TMS up. The Maverick locks the tank and BSGT appears and I click it. That should be it right?

 

If I TMS aft on the Maverick to unlock the target, the Maverick slews back to being off again.

 

Anyone have any luck with this? I have watch Wags video on aligning the Mavs but I can't get it to work.


It venture it has to do with the parallax. The closer your boresight, the more parallax between the -65 sensor and the TGP there is. You should test, and preferably boresight, on targets further away. 

Any boresight, on or off target, will erase the error introduced at startup, this how it works at the moment (iirc). So even if you boresight close in it will erase the error and it will seem you did a perfect boresight on a far away target and theredore both TGP and seeker are aiming parallel. Because of that the TGP and seeker will seem to missalign close in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Lowlyslows said:

Hey all,

 

I am trying to align the Mavericks but it doesn't work.

 

I am on the ground with a tank located on the other side of the runway. I have the F16 pointed at the tank and I am positioned at the opposite end of the runway. I set the Mavericks to PRE mode. I slew the TGP to the tank and TMS forward to lock the tank. I then slew the Maverick (which is not pointed towards the tank, it's off) and center it on the tank then TMS up. The Maverick locks the tank and BSGT appears and I click it. That should be it right?

 

If I TMS aft on the Maverick to unlock the target, the Maverick slews back to being off again.

 

Anyone have any luck with this? I have watch Wags video on aligning the Mavs but I can't get it to work.

 

Yes, at least in DCS if you TMS down after boresight the maverick will look off but it will work, it happened to me several times. Don't forget to boresight both pylons.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Ignition said:

 

Yes, at least in DCS if you TMS down after boresight the maverick will look off but it will work, it happened to me several times. Don't forget to boresight both pylons.

Yep, realized this a few mins ago. Odd that it does this, should just recenter. I also noticed that sometimes I have to TMS aft with the Maverick SOI after auto handoff from TGP. The handoff makes it to a T for the selected Maverick. I have to TMS aft on the Maverick SOI and then TMS forward to make the shot. The Maverick crosshairs as where they should be but I can’t get it to auto handoff to a C after firing from a successful auto handoff. 
 

hope that makes sense

8 hours ago, Viciam1 said:

Did you set the hand off to Auto on the TGP screen from Man?

I have done it both ways. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You did it right. Do NOT do TMS aft after clicking boresight on the WPN screen. Just cycle to the next missile. Here's how I do it, and it works perfectly.

TGP on
WPN on
Slave TGP to target
MAN to AUTO
TMS up
Make WPN page SOI
slave Maverick 1 to target
TMS up
Push NWS button to select Maverick 2
Slave Maverick 2 to target
TMS up
Push NWS button to select Maverick 3
And so on.

Once you cycle back to Maverick 1, it will be off target again but once you lock a target in flight, it'll work. Just make sure you're in range or the handoff won't complete.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Dannyvandelft said:

You did it right. Do NOT do TMS aft after clicking boresight on the WPN screen. Just cycle to the next missile. Here's how I do it, and it works perfectly.

TGP on
WPN on
Slave TGP to target
MAN to AUTO
TMS up
Make WPN page SOI
slave Maverick 1 to target
TMS up
Push NWS button to select Maverick 2
Slave Maverick 2 to target
TMS up
Push NWS button to select Maverick 3
And so on.

Once you cycle back to Maverick 1, it will be off target again but once you lock a target in flight, it'll work. Just make sure you're in range or the handoff won't complete.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
 

Thanks!

 

Question: I thought you only had to align twice. If you have 3xDs on each wing then you would only need to align the weapon station. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks!
 
Question: I thought you only had to align twice. If you have 3xDs on each wing then you would only need to align the weapon station. 
I do every missile. Each missile has it's own "eye" in the nose so I'm assuming every missile needs calibrated.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You only need to align each station and not each missile.


Also, you might be getting T instead of C because you're trying to lock target out of range. Make sure you're within 7.5 - 8.5 miles from the target when you TMS UP to auto hand over. You should then get the C and be ready to fire.

Also, once you're done aligning the mavericks on the ground...they may act weird when you're still on the ground and seem as if they are not aligned properly. Take off and go ahead and engage some targets with auto handover using TGP at around 8 miles and you should be good.


Edited by Viciam1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The alignment on the ground should work perfectly on the ground for the same geometry and be slightly wrong for more distant targets when airborne. What DCS is doing is not an actual boresight calibration. Instead it's doing the same thing the Mirage 2000 INS update was doing before its patch. It's simply zeroizing the misalignment value that the airplane was initialized with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You only need to align each station and not each missile.

Also, you might be getting T instead of C because you're trying to lock target out of range. Make sure you're within 7.5 - 8.5 miles from the target when you TMS UP to auto hand over. You should then get the C and be ready to fire.

Also, once you're done aligning the mavericks on the ground...they may act weird when you're still on the ground and seem as if they are not aligned properly. Take off and go ahead and engage some targets with auto handover using TGP at around 8 miles and you should be good.
Hmmmm I'll try it today by just aligning one missile on each rack.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/19/2021 at 10:44 AM, Dannyvandelft said:

Hmmmm I'll try it today by just aligning one missile on each rack.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
 

Also, as long as you don't Jettison the rack, you can rearm mavs and shouldn't need to align again.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5900x | 3090 | HP Reverb G2 | 150% SS

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/25/2021 at 10:03 AM, Chaos_Out said:

Also, as long as you don't Jettison the rack, you can rearm mavs and shouldn't need to align again.

Whoa, I didn’t think about this… most excellent! Now if I can just stop getting shot down…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Does anybody know why Maverick's reticle is misaligned with HUD reticle cross when in BORESIGHT mode? On the screenshot below the HUD cross is pointing at the red roof building but Maverick is pointing at the road behind it. Click the picture to show it in a native 4K resolution.

 

BORE mode

WCPmer1.jpg

 

On the other hand in VIS mode both Maverick and HUD crosshairs are perfectly aligned. Is BORE mode bugged or this is how it works IRL?

 

VIS mode

8iOSFQZ.jpg


Edited by Marklar

i9 9700K @5.0GHz; 2080 Ti, 32GB RAM. Reverb G2; TM Warthog on VPC WarBRD Base, MFG Crosswind V3

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's not fixed, you can move it with Radar Cursor switch. You are probably talking about that small Boresight Cross in the upper section of the HUD. They are different crosshairs.


Edited by Marklar

i9 9700K @5.0GHz; 2080 Ti, 32GB RAM. Reverb G2; TM Warthog on VPC WarBRD Base, MFG Crosswind V3

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Marklar said:

It's not fixed, you can move it with Radar Cursor switch. You are probably talking about that small Boresight Cross in the upper section of the HUD. They are different crosshairs.

 

Nope, EO BORE cross. It doesn't move in real life.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Marklar said:

It's not fixed, you can move it with Radar Cursor switch. You are probably talking about that small Boresight Cross in the upper section of the HUD. They are different crosshairs.

 

Frederf is right. As per relevant RL manual, the EO bore cross is fixed and pilot maneuvers the plane to put that cross on target.

 

Best regards,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How is it fixed if I can move it with Radar Cursor? Also it does not matter whether it's fixed or not, it should point at the same location where Maverick is looking, so a pilot can use HUD to manoeuvre the plane and lock a target. At this moment it's not possible because they are not aligned. On my 1st picture you can see I am trying to lock a building but the Maverick is looking somewhere else.

 

 

i9 9700K @5.0GHz; 2080 Ti, 32GB RAM. Reverb G2; TM Warthog on VPC WarBRD Base, MFG Crosswind V3

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tholozor said:

Was that a cold start or hot start?

 

Both but you need to spawn hot on the ground and do rearming. If you spawn in the air already with Mavericks the crosshairs are aligned.

i9 9700K @5.0GHz; 2080 Ti, 32GB RAM. Reverb G2; TM Warthog on VPC WarBRD Base, MFG Crosswind V3

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Tholozor said:

Try the boresight procedure.

 

All the boresighting tutorials I've seen refer to PRE-planned mode and require a targeting pod. How do I do it without TGP? I only carry Mavs.

i9 9700K @5.0GHz; 2080 Ti, 32GB RAM. Reverb G2; TM Warthog on VPC WarBRD Base, MFG Crosswind V3

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Use VIS and adjust the SPI through the HUD, or PRE on a known object location. Then you can correlate the seeker and boresight, then TMS Down to reset to SPI.


Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor

VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/

Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...