A year and still no VR optimization for The Channel??

DirtyMike0330

I played on The Channel for the first time today (because of the Mosquito of course) and found myself with 28-35 FPS in VR (specs in signature) and terrible stuttering. I have no issues with locked 45 on every other map and basically all high settings. Came into this forum and saw posts like this one 2020 with the exact same issues from almost a full year ago. 

How has this not been addressed at all in a year? Pretty annoyed that I bought TC specifically for the Mosquito release and it is essentially worthless at this point. 

Edited by DirtyMike0330
  • Like 1

PC: ASUS TUF 4090oc - Ryzen 7950X3D - 32gb DDR5 6000 - Quest Pro

Sims: DCS, IL2, MSFS

Pilot Skill: Drunk guy from Independence Day

RIO Skill: Goose (post neck-break) 

Hmm ok, I guess I’ll see if anyone else comments the same way, but most of the posts I’m seeing are all similar to the one I linked and my own experience today (which was terrible). I’m not sure if oculus vs wmr would have anything to do with it. 

What VR headset are you using? I would be interested to know your results in the Mossie; it’s the only module I’ve ever tried on The Channel so it would probably be a good idea for me to try more than one for comparison. 

I don't have the Mosquito, but I fly the Turkey. Over the Dover cliffs I get at least 32fps with no stuttering. I am using Quest2 native. The rig is just a MSI GP66 Leopard with 32GB RAM and a RTX3900 laptop with 8GB RAM. I guess it is something about setting.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

I get steady 60fps  except down low over large population centers, where I can drop into the mid 40's.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | Asus TUFF nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Dark Hero | 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 RAM | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Virpil MT-50 CM2 Throttle | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD base |  Virpil Ace 1 Rudder Pedals | Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant (x2) |Acer x34 P 3440 x 1440 | Valve Index VR | DCS on NVME

By lowering gfx settings/SS (70%) and a handful of mods I got to a good place with the Spitfire. And the map is my fav to fly around. But the Mossie seems to be a fair bit more demanding.

I can’t seem to get decent performance, doesn’t help that you kind of have to fly down low. Also doesn’t help that the vr shader mod doesn’t work on this map for me since the update.

I suppose what I’m saying is it’s probably not just the maps fault.

G2 and 3090/5900x

After further testing, this seems to also be an issue with the Mosquito module itself. 

When testing the Mosquito on Marianas and Persian Gulf, I was again getting 28-33 fps with GPU and CPU frame times way above 20. 

When I jumped into the Hornet and Tomcat, my performance immediately reverted back to an easily locked 45fps with frame times in the low-mid teens. 

11 hours ago, DirtyMike0330 said:

After further testing, this seems to also be an issue with the Mosquito module itself. 

When testing the Mosquito on Marianas and Persian Gulf, I was again getting 28-33 fps with GPU and CPU frame times way above 20. 

When I jumped into the Hornet and Tomcat, my performance immediately reverted back to an easily locked 45fps with frame times in the low-mid teens. 

It would probably be a good idea to report back on Mossie performance issues in the Mossie part of the forum. But it's a sadly a trend in DCS World, so I doubt they will scale it back. So much detail goes into the modules, that each successive module is more performance hungry than the previous one. It's getting way out of hand I think. 

Edited by Lurker

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

So much detail goes into the modules, that each successive module is more performance hungry than the previous one. It's getting way out of hand I think. 

This. It tempers my excitement for new modules, such as the AH64. I’m right on the edge of what I find acceptable in the performance/visual quality equation.

It’s all well and good saying lower your settings/expectations but some things drastically reduce enjoyment of the sim by making it an uncomfortable experience, such as unreadable instruments/mfds and/or eye strain brought on by too much shimmering.

I’m still confident ED has something up there sleeves to address this though.

2 hours ago, Digitalvole said:

This. It tempers my excitement for new modules, such as the AH64. I’m right on the edge of what I find acceptable in the performance/visual quality equation.

It’s all well and good saying lower your settings/expectations but some things drastically reduce enjoyment of the sim by making it an uncomfortable experience, such as unreadable instruments/mfds and/or eye strain brought on by too much shimmering.

I’m still confident ED has something up there sleeves to address this though.

I have posted the issue here as well. The response from ED on the matter is a joke: reduce resolution to 60%. Ignore the fact that my settings are great for every other module except this one lol 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DirtyMike0330 said:

The response from ED on the matter is a joke

It would seem that early access is not for you.

Performance always improves during early access. The Mossie has just been released so performance is not optimized yet. Some people are having good performance others not.

So you gave to wait until they address it, which is not liable to be immediately.

You have been given a work-around in the meantime but do not want to accept reality.

• Like 2

Just now, AdrianL said:

It would seem that early access is not for you.

Performance always improves during early access. The Mossie has just been released so performance is not optimized yet. Some people are having good performance others not.

So you gave to wait until they address it, which is not liable to be immediately.

You have been given a work-around in the meantime but do not want to accept reality.

1. They haven't even acknowledged that there is an optimization issue, their solution was to reduce to 60% resolution

2. The majority of responses on this post have indicated poor performance with the Mosquito 

3. Nobody asked you for your opinion and when I need to get advice from a fanboy, I'll reach out to you.

Here is an idea: maybe they shouldn't release something until it works well on a flatscreen AND in VR, at a minimum, even in early access. Thanks for your poorly written input though. 

37 minutes ago, DirtyMike0330 said:

I have posted the issue here as well. The response from ED on the matter is a joke: reduce resolution to 60%. Ignore the fact that my settings are great for every other module except this one lol.

Ive posted in that thread too 🙂 Honestly check out the VR shader mod if you haven’t already, it really helps. So does the FSR one but that one has a more noticeable effect on the visuals imho. I use both though and now I can fly the Mossie without getting a headache 👍

• Thanks 1

Just now, Digitalvole said:

Ive posted in that thread too 🙂 Honestly check out the VR shader mod if you haven’t already, it really helps. So does the FSR one but that one has a more noticeable effect on the visuals imho. I use both though and now I can fly the Mossie without getting a headache 👍

Thanks, I will do this today. I used shaders prior to the update and was hoping to be able to stay vanilla, but clearly that won’t work out 😄 What are you running with fsr? .77 and .9 sharpening or something else? 

10 minutes ago, DirtyMike0330 said:

I used shaders prior to the update and was hoping to be able to stay vanilla, but clearly that won’t work out 😄 What are you running with fsr? .77 and .9 sharpening or something else? 

Exactly the same with me (and the shader mod wasn’t working with the new update at first, but SoH has fixed it now) but it just doesn’t seem playable without them (especially WW2 stuff). It’s a shame because it certainly looks a lot nicer without the mods.

As for FSR I have render scale (is that what it’s called?) at 8 and sharpening off (0) as it create too much shimmer for me. Also using the Sharper Eye mod but I think I’m going to turn that off too because of the shimmering. Shame cause it makes things on the ground much clearer but the shimmering makes my eyes hurt.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, AdrianL said:

Performance always improves during early access. 

Please provide one example of where this has happened. Just one. I'll wait. I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just saying that I have never noticed this. My solution so far has been to buy better and better hardware. 😕

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 1

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick.