hung start on latest update is not a real thing

Simba11

1 hour ago, Simba11 said:

Dear ED i dont know who told you that you will get a hung start if you don't stable lize a 20% before going to idle but that's actually not a thing. 

You need to start with who told you it is not a thing, what are yours, his or hers qualifications on the matter etc... then after that, when you introduced the source and made it credible you can say this or that is not a thing.

Otherwise who on earth will believe that what you are saying is true?

• Like 23

Colleague of mine and former F-16 C/D instructor in the Chilean Air Force completely confirmed this is in fact real…

He tells me if engine isn’t sufficiently turned by the time Fuel-on is selected, the N2 will not accelerate and it will hung start.

so, yeah, thanks ED for the realism!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, EagleA25 said:

Colleague of mine and former F-16 C/D instructor in the Chilean Air Force completely confirmed this is in fact real…

He tells me if engine isn’t sufficiently turned by the time Fuel-on is selected, the N2 will not accelerate and it will hung start.

so, yeah, thanks ED for the realism!

Just to add to that, it’s usually not good for N2 turbine (gas generator) to stay in a hung start condition for too long. Usually leads to thermal damage (similar to a hot start, also bad) and at least an engine inspection. 

• Like 4

PC: MSI X670E, Ryzen 9 7900X, 64GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 3090 Ti, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight pedals, Opentrack

Link to my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DieselThunderAviation

Commander, 62nd Virtual Fighter Squadron

Join the 62nd VFS today! Link to our discord server: https://discord.gg/Z25BSKk84s

Patch_v1.2 small.jpg

For what is worth, I do not know of anyone IRL ( pilot or maintainer) that has ever tried to move the throttle to idle from cutoff on purpose without RPM being at 20% or higher (PW-220E, 220 or GE-100). I know some that have made a mistake (rushing or not paying attention) that have started the JFS with throttle on idle, but corrected immediately and terminated the start because IRL, starting the engine is a critical thing. Everything happens very fast and you are paying attention to RPM, FTIT, oil pressure, main gen and stand by gen lights. Started the JFS with throttle in idle could raise FTIT rapidly, which is signs of a anticipated hot start. Manuals have a very specific terminology for anticipated hot start we all have to memorize to qualify as an engine run person. This also would be sign of autoaccel condition, also cause you to terminated engine start.

So, whom ever said is not a thing IRL, has never been run qualified in USAF on any F-16. GE engines can not go from 0 to 100 and I can't think of anyone would try IRL. In the last couple years I work on F-16 with PW engine (Luke AFB in 2009 to 2011) you had to run the JFS for 2 minutes before going to idle, to allow the bleed strap time to close.

So IRL, you pay close attention when starting the engine and this is not a problem. In DCS, people just what to flip switch while drinking coffee and start as quickly as possible to airquake and are not paying attention, the only reason this is a problem.

Some will say: "Well, we do not have those engine in DCS" your right, I was never run qualified in GE-129. They can also say: "You have never started the JFS with throttle in idle, so you don't know what will happens". Again you are right on that also.

Edited by mvsgas
spelling
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

People with enough engine knowledge will know to high certainty what will happen without actually doing it. There exists someone who knows the GE129 inside and out and can say "oh well yeah you won't get any start because there's a special interlock that inhibits fuel if commanded idle with less than 13.37% RPM" or "I dunno, you'd probably get a fire dumping in fuel at low RPM when ignition hit the pool sitting in the bottom of the chamber."

• Like 1

Correct me if I’m wrong, but also isn’t it proper procedure to make sure the SEC annunciation goes out before going to idle? Not just stable 20%?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 4

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

2 hours ago, Eagle7907 said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but also isn’t it proper procedure to make sure the SEC annunciation goes out before going to idle? Not just stable 20%?

That's how I do it too.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Please correct me but i thought so far that throttle Inputs are handed from the Cockpit to a Computer and then to the engine and therefore setting the throttle to idle too early does Nothing as the computer will only start up the engines in the proper conditions. I have No sources for that but i Wonder why the digital Interface has Not been discussed Here yet. Maybe in Startup the Computer System is Not running yet or bypassed for safety reasons?

• Like 1

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Interesting. After viewing the linked thread, since some people labeled some posts on there for scrutiny, I decided to look at a document that can’t be posted that seems to be referenced by many. I will tell you that it doesn’t really mention the words “stabilized”, but it does mention 20% minimum, and also includes maximum rotation speed when ambient temps above 90 degrees F. The SEC is mentioned, but doesn’t specifically say wait until SEC light goes out. It just says the light goes out reaching 20%. So in another way of thinking this, you would wait until it goes out? I think it doesn’t particularly say this because of the conditions that would warrant a later activation from OFF to IDLE.

FYI, this is particularly pertaining to the -129 engine.

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

On 9/21/2021 at 12:01 AM, Badlego said:

Please correct me but i thought so far that throttle Inputs are handed from the Cockpit to a Computer and then to the engine and therefore setting the throttle to idle too early does Nothing as the computer will only start up the engines in the proper conditions. I have No sources for that but i Wonder why the digital Interface has Not been discussed Here yet. Maybe in Startup the Computer System is Not running yet or bypassed for safety reasons?

There are two input to the engine, Main is throttle position switch that sends Power Lever Angle (PLA) to the Digital Engine Computer (DEC). The second input is physical push/pull wire the connects the throttle control linkage on the Main Engine Control (MEC). This is the only physical connection to any control in the F-16 (any versions). The DEC is like you car engine Electronic Control Module (ECM). The MEC is like very complicated carburetor (not even close in reality, but same concept )

The DEC nor the MEC  will prevent you from introducing fuel to early to the combustion chamber AFAIK. Other aircraft the start is very automatic, for example A-10 seem way easier. But in the F-117, F-15 and F-16 you can't just put throttle to idle and hit start.

• Like 2

To whom it may concern,

• 3 months later...

Tripped over this first try on F-16.  The throttle defaults to idle if you do a hot or air start, so your first landing and repair will result in this, then video tutorials, then a forum bug search.

On 9/22/2021 at 10:45 AM, mvsgas said:

The DEC nor the MEC  will prevent you from introducing fuel to early to the combustion chamber AFAIK.

If this is the case, what should happen?  In the game, if you move the throttle too early, it gets bricked and you have to respawn or restart the mission.  Nothing actually happens except the aircraft becomes unstartable.  It implies that there's a bug, there was an update that made the video startup tutorial obsolete, or the  plane was junked and needs to be repaired or replaced, but with nothing occurring to indicate that.

If we must have the noob trap at least set the plane on fire or make a alarm light come on or something.  Put an option in the radio menu for a supervisor to come and reset the plane because you were naughty.  The canopy must be open and his model appears at the side, shaking his head as he reaches in to flick the hidden reset switch.  e.  You also have to look away while he flicks the switch.  There should be a text or audio message to the player to look away, otherwise it's just another noob trap.

Edited by Preendog

3 hours ago, Preendog said:

If this is the case, what should happen? 

In real life? Many things. You can get a No start, hung start, anticipated hot start or a hot start. The question in my mind is: Do we really expect Eagle Dynamics to modeled all of this behaviors when it seem so many do not want to follow a simple thing? The simple thing being no moving the throttle to idle if the engine is not ready.

3 hours ago, Preendog said:

There should be a text or audio message to the player to look away, otherwise it's just another noob trap.

How is this a "noob trap"? Try this: Start the JFS, once you have a JFS run light, start the clock (conveniently the cockpit has its own). If you used start one, wait 30 seconds, if you use start two, wait a minute. After the elapse time, check engine gauges. If RPM is above 20% and sec light is out, move the throttle to idle. If you follow that to the tee, do you encounter any problems? If not, why change anything? If yes, record a track and submitted in a separate post as a potential bug.

• Like 1

To whom it may concern,

9 hours ago, Preendog said:

and you have to respawn or restart the mission.

Just ask ground crew to do a repair, wait 3-4 minutes to let them finish, have fun starting up the F-16 again.

• Like 1

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

10 hours ago, unknown said:

Just ask ground crew to do a repair, wait 3-4 minutes to let them finish, have fun starting up the F-16 again.

Thx unknown, that works.  If the plane is undamaged the player will have to break something, like jettison the canopy, to repair.

IRL, it should be possible to attempt another start after aborting the first one. As long as you don't fry the engine with a hot start (which means being quick enough to recognize it and take correct action), you should be able to purge it by running JFS, and then try again. This is similar to a crank start in other aircraft. Just keep in mind JFS isn't unlimited, although it can be recharged by a hand pump IRL. 

• Like 1

Interesting. Is an external air start not possible?

7 minutes ago, Eagle7907 said:

Interesting. Is an external air start not possible?

There is no way to start an engine in the F-16 externally. All starts use the JFS ( if the engine is installed obviously)

To whom it may concern,

Oh wow. Huh. Interesting it’s designed that way. So I take it any cart that’s hooked up to it is just ground power? Also interesting to know that if the accumulators gets depleted then you got a delay getting started. I guess that’s why ED just decided to require a repair instead of creating a new scripted ground crew item.

Thanks!

48 minutes ago, Eagle7907 said:

So I take it any cart that’s hooked up to it is just ground power?

You can use several carts. I don't remember their official names and don't feel like researching them but, for electrical power you can use a -60 or -86. For cooling you have C-10 ( C-10 require a -60 hook up to it to provide bleed air) You can also use a -60 to provide bleed air to the aircraft directly, but it uses the aircraft own environmental control system (ECS) to cool the avionics or pressurize the fuel system. This was commonly used for years but someone realize they where putting time on the ECS turbine so its not the prefer choice. To pressurize the fuel system only we used a small air compressor cart (small being relative) and for hydraulics we could used a Mule ( again don't remember the technical names). Non of them could motor or spin the engine. There are other carts for servicing nitrogen and other things.

Edited by mvsgas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To whom it may concern,