Custom CMDS Lua now breaking IC?

Moonshine
Go to solution Solved by NineLine,

Adding a vouch for DiCE to edit countermeasure programs, the F-5 RWR Fix, Vaicom Pro for adding a more natural control option for radio interactions, Helios for view export customization, and the Mirage 2000 serval lua file to edit the RWR display as suggested by the developers. 

Hopefully some avenues to enable these in some fashion are opened up soon. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Please exempt E:\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\<aircraft type>\Cockpit\Scripts\Macro_sequencies.lua from IC. Preferably by allowing it to be modded in Saved Games path.

This is the Autostart macro and losing the ability to modify this file is detrimental to MP quality of life.

Thanks in advance.

The following  bug fixes are affected by this change. Please fix the bugs. https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3317307/

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3317373/

Edited by =475FG= Dawger
  • Like 4

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

4 hours ago, Bailey said:

Hello, I am the creator of DiCE, a popular mod that enables you to use the ingame special menu to change aircraft countermeasure profiles, much like the JF17.  Here is the forum thread with links to the ED Userfiles download, UI pictures, and the Github which contains the code for DiCE itself. https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/247605-dice-dcs-integrated-countermeasure-editor-by-bailey

I have confirmed that changes to these files do not pass IC. I as well as others in the community believe that DiCE is a legitimate mod.

Just pitching in to add my support for DiCE, it's genuinely an incredibly useful tool that has saved me time and frustration.

If allowing the file to pass IC is too much to ask, then at the very least, some basic DTC functionality would be very welcome.

• Like 7

Vaicom and Dice are the only mods I really use. Now none of them pass IC.

Dice is needed, because DTC is still not implemented, so instead of setting up countermeasures every time you sit down in a plane, having something by default is such an immense time-saver.

Vaicom is just the best. I can't imagine going back to navigating through the com menus in the old fashion.

Seems like you flushed the baby with the bathwater with this decision ED.....

Edited by Photon
  • Like 16

Personally I never play on public servers that use IC, but I can see this being incredibly frustrating to a whole bunch of people who do.  I routinely use Helios, and have invested a fair bit of cash into setting up a pit that makes use of it.  Many people have spent quite a bit, or a LOT, more.  If all of that stops working in any IC server then the reality is probably that most servers will have to switch of IC, which sort of defeats the point.  There appears to be some move by ED to "stop cheating" but all the people I speak to on discord who play PVP (I don't) say taht it's extremely rare.  There doesn't seem to be a problem to be fixed here, and "it's stopping cheating" as a reason for encrypting files and adding more folders to IC doesn't appear to be backed up by any evidence or data.  This is why so many people then go on to question what the real motivation is.  

At the very least if ED are going to do something like this that will wholesale destroy years of work/thousands of dollars of hardware and software then it would be very nice to have some warning.  Personally I think if I lost the ability to export any displays I'd probably just quite DCS and go and fly "that other sim"...

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

Helios, dice, vaicom. 3 mods I regularly use are now broken. Honestly at this point I am loosing any and all hope from ED, Instead of moving in the direction of supporting the community that supports ed, they are going against it. People spend their hard earned money in home cockpits and dcs as product itself and they are not allowed to use them because now exporting mfds and setting up cmds is considered cheating. Ridiculous! Absolutely ridiculous!

Edited by Obsidianwolf
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

It looks like we can no longer export the RWR for the Mirage to a separate Monitor since this requires modifying those lua files. The Radar export works.

Please get RAZBAM to update the RWR luas so that it can be exported.

In fact, just allow people to export all the instruments as they please in the M2K. Basically replicating this userfiles pack: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/2317118/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am the developer of Helios' viewport patching and monitor setup functionality, and I can tell you with certainty that we can't work around this IC.    So really the only way we will end up with a working solution for IC servers is if Eagle Dynamics can back out this change.   This is OpenBeta, where they try out stuff.  It doesn't HAVE to be released this way.   

So we really need them to change course on this and come up with something else to do, like for example moving whatever parameters were involved in the cheating to another file that can be controlled, or something like that.   But clearly someone on the dev side had some reason for locking this down, maybe they themselves are a PVPer who does not use extra screens or a cockpit build.   Clearly they were not aware of what would happen with this change.   Who knows...  but that's why we have OpenBeta, right?

So let's maybe just document what the effect is, including your stories and anecdotes and so on, but without burning any good will we might have?   I'm worried about the degree of hatred in this thread, and whether this will make it less likely that we get what we want.    BIGNEWY has been really responsive and has been collecting the data about what the effects on various mods are to take back to devs.   So let's give them some time to try to come up with something? 

• Like 21

3 minutes ago, rurounijones said:

It looks like we can no longer export the RWR for the Mirage to a separate Monitor since this requires modifying those lua files. The Radar export works.

Please get RAZBAM to update the RWR luas so that it can be exported.

In fact, just allow people to export all the instruments as they please in the M2K. Basically replicating this userfiles pack: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/2317118/

Yes I suggested a similar thing in the DCS Discord.   Helios and other tools (like that user files pack) pretty much all just add the same viewports and give additional plane-specific names to the MFDs and such.   If it was possible to coordinate with all the third parties to make these changes to the aircraft as shipped, that would eliminate a lot of the mods and patches, but not all of them.   

Another class of changes we need to make with exported screens (especially on the Hornet) is to change the graphics settings so the exports are actually legible, which degrades the cockpit views and so can't be done by default.   The only answer I see for that is to separate those graphics options from any that were involved in cheating by putting them in separate files.   

I am not hopeful we can get enough coordination for either of those.   It's not a trivial problem with so many parties involved.

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, derammo said:

I am the developer of Helios' viewport patching and monitor setup functionality, and I can tell you with certainty that we can't work around this IC.    So really the only way we will end up with a working solution for IC servers is if Eagle Dynamics can back out this change.   This is OpenBeta, where they try out stuff.  It doesn't HAVE to be released this way.   

So we really need them to change course on this and come up with something else to do, like for example moving whatever parameters were involved in the cheating to another file that can be controlled, or something like that.   But clearly someone on the dev side had some reason for locking this down, maybe they themselves are a PVPer who does not use extra screens or a cockpit build.   Clearly they were not aware of what would happen with this change.   Who knows...  but that's why we have OpenBeta, right?

So let's maybe just document what the effect is, including your stories and anecdotes and so on, but without burning any good will we might have?   I'm worried about the degree of hatred in this thread, and whether this will make it less likely that we get what we want.    BIGNEWY has been really responsive and has been collecting the data about what the effects on various mods are to take back to devs.   So let's give them some time to try to come up with something? 

Well there's going to be absolutely huge amount of frustration, I've personally spent uncountable hours setting up my multi-monitor config, and mine isn't even that complicated, but it took time to scour through all the threads to find the information needed to do it.
Can't imagine what it's like for people who have literally sunk hundreds if not thousands of dollars on their full on replica of a particular cockpit. 

It's all very well saying list this app and this mod, but most of mine are done by me, for me, for my monitors. Things like making the Kneeboard open where I want it, not on my MFCD screen, which requires an edit of the device_init.lua for every aircraft because ViewportHandling-resize.lua was locked already.

The controls indicator, I have nice transparent ones made by the community, and I moved them to where I want them, especially the autopilot indicator in the Mi8 which would show up in the bottom corner of my MFCD screen.
Moving the crew indicator for Huey and Mi8, which would show up on my MFCD screen. Then we get onto the RWR, CMSP, Viggen Radar (meh). Moving the Petrovich AI helper, and the Sight camera because it wasn't in the right place for my setup. I'm sure a lot of other people who use multiple monitors have gone through the same process including those who use your app. 

I have literally never read or heard once, anyone complaining about people cheating. Using the search on this forum for cheat, or exploit, returns zero results of people complaining about cheats in the game. Am I missing that topic?

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

Tacca's (Modified by Waze) NVG mod 1.2.1

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3316348/

(have to delete the Bazar\shaders\MaterialFactory\laserbeam.hlsl to pass IC prior to 2.7.6.12852)

In the Viper in VR it allows you to see 'under' the NVG like you can IRL so that you don't have to flip the NVGs up and down constantly to use the MFDs -- night missions pretty terrible without it.

Edit:  To be clear it would pass IC after removing the laserbeam file prior to 2.7.6.12852 (side effect that you could see faint red laser beam outside of the NVGs but inside of the default NVG mask) -- now mod just doesn't work.

If ED would give the ability to increase/decrease apparent 'distance' of NVG and position from your VR eyes like you can IRL to see around the goggles and use instruments this mod would not be needed.

Edited by Blackdog
Clarification
  • Like 6

• ED Team
  • Solution

I have asked for people to list the mods and what they use them for here, I don't need the extra commentary, it will be considered off topic and you will be warned, you are not helping me get the message to the team by clogging it up with a bunch of grumpy text. Thanks.

We dont test the game with mods, so this is what Open Beta is for, to find issues beyond what we can reasonably test. These changes were made to protect the integrity of the sim, so either the mod creators need to fix their mods, we need to look at how things are blocked or the functionality needs to be added to the sim. 

So I am pleading with you, only post the mod, how and what it tweaks and its use if its not already posted here, if it is, then nothing else needs to be said.

Thanks.

PS I marked this as the solution, its not, but the path to one, thanks.

• Like 1

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

35 minutes ago, NineLine said:

I have asked for people to list the mods and what they use them for here, I don't need the extra commentary, it will be considered off topic and you will be warned, you are not helping me get the message to the team by clogging it up with a bunch of grumpy text. Thanks.

We dont test the game with mods, so this is what Open Beta is for, to find issues beyond what we can reasonably test. These changes were made to protect the integrity of the sim, so either the mod creators need to fix their mods, we need to look at how things are blocked or the functionality needs to be added to the sim. 

So I am pleading with you, only post the mod, how and what it tweaks and its use if its not already posted here, if it is, then nothing else needs to be said.

Thanks.

Not a mod, but a manual edit of the F-16's CMDS_ALE47.lua file. 

Use: edit the default countermeasure profiles to my preference so we don't have to do that through DED every time I spawn in a new jet. DTC has not been implemented yet so this is the only way for us to do this. Thx

• Like 10

FA-18C MFD & AMPCD Colour and Clarity Mod for DCS 2.7 ONLY

link: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3311626/

This mod alters the colors of the F/A-18C Hornet DDIs (MFDs) to a yellow-green color and sharpens the fonts on the AMPCD. This file was further modified to suit my personal color preferences.

Affected files:

mods/aircraft/fa-18c/cockpit/scripts/materials.lua

mods/aircraft/fa-18c/cockpit/scripts/multipurpose_display_group/common/indicator/mdg_strokesdefs.lua

mods/aircraft/fa-18c/cockpit/scripts/multipurpose_display_group/ampcd/indicator/ampcd_specifics.lua

DiCE: DCS Integrated Countermeasure Editor v4.2 by Bailey (F18C, F16C, A10C, A10C2, AV8B, M2000C)

link: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3312680/

This mod adds chaff and flare programmability to suit the user's preference. It prevents manual CMDS setup EVERY time the player spawns in a new aircraft.

Affected file:

mods/aircraft/fa-18c/cockpit/scripts/tews/device/cmds_ale47.lua

F/A-18C Controls Indicator : scale for trimming

link: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3300978/

This mod adds a scale to the Controls Indicator axes and also adds white tick marks to identify trim settings. This is especially helpful during take-off and landing. This file was further modified to account for my personal multi-monitor configuration.

Affected file:

mods/aircraft/fa-18c/cockpit/scripts/controlsindicator/controlsindicator_page.lua

• Like 5

Eagle Dynamics\Custom\Mods\aircraft\F-16C\Cockpit\IndicationResources\Displays\MFD_stroke_font.svg

Readability for the MFD font for those of us that have trouble reading the white text.

Eagle Dynamics\Custom\Mods\aircraft\F-16C\Cockpit\Scripts.fonts.lua

Eagle Dynamics\Custom\Mods\aircraft\F-16C\Cockpit\Materials.lua

Eagle Dynamics\Custom\Mods\aircraft\F-16C\Cockpit\Scripts\Displays\Common\indicator\StrokesDefs.lua

Readability for the HUD, similar to the MFD, for those that have a hard time reading the default.

Eagle Dynamics\Custom\Mods\aircraft\P-51D\Cockpit\Scripts\clickabledata.lua

Fix for the RAM air control.  In the default aircraft, you can move the control, but it does nothing.

Edited by Rhayvn
  • Like 1

• ED Team

Thanks guys, I do appreciate it. I am starting to enter these in Jira, and I have emailed management about the concerns, right now the biggest ones being our simpit builders. As I said elsewhere, I know we are working on a viewport tool, so I am kind hoping that will help the issue and maybe we can push it out, but anyways, just know as gruff as I come off here, I am sinking my teeth into this and getting some answer.

Also if you are a mode creator and you find a work around, feel free to post it here as well. If you are a creator and there is absolutely no work around, post here as well.

• Like 11

64Sig.png

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• ED Team
12 hours ago, Bailey said:

Hello, I am the creator of DiCE, a popular mod that enables you to use the ingame special menu to change aircraft countermeasure profiles, much like the JF17.  Here is the forum thread with links to the ED Userfiles download, UI pictures, and the Github which contains the code for DiCE itself. https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/247605-dice-dcs-integrated-countermeasure-editor-by-bailey

I have confirmed that changes to these files do not pass IC. I as well as others in the community believe that DiCE is a legitimate mod.

Thank you Baily, I have reported this issue with a link to your mod. 

12 hours ago, MYSE1234 said:

Hi,
My mod for the Viggen RWR is being "blocked" by IC after today's patch.

In my mind it's not really able to be exploitable, but adds more and more realistic sounds to the otherwise very inaccurate RWR that is in there by default.

Hi, is it only a sound mod? And if its more realistic have you approached HB about it?

11 hours ago, derammo said:

It appears that viewport export changes are no longer allowed:

- we need to rename exported viewport names like LEFT_MFCD to make them unique across aircraft

It appears that adding viewport export calls is no longer allowed:

- we need to export things like RWR that are not exported by default

This affects all Helios users (approximately 2000 DCS users, we don't track users exactly) and all cockpit builders who use additional displays for things like RWR.

Helios also changes rendering settings in fonts.lua and across several instruments files (MFDs and such) to make exported viewports look legible on the F/A-18C.   I can see that this could be considered an IC violation, so I would say this last part is optional but really convenient.

[edit: attached a diff of changes made by Helios against a recent DCS release, for example]

Helios.diff 42.91 kB · 6 downloads

I have this reported with your example. Thank you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

64Sig.png

• ED Team
10 hours ago, Hollywood_315 said:

Hi,

VAICOM PRO dev here. 
https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/329-vaicom/
https://www.vaicompro.com/

Confirmed VAICOM PRO plugin currently no longer passes IC in DCS .12852 open beta.
cockpit/scripts/device_init.lua referenced.
Only becomes apparent once entering a slot: before green shields are shown. 
No such issues in DCS stable version .10869

Thanks,
Hollywood

Thanks Hollywood, this is reported to the team.

9 hours ago, acceleraptor said:

+1 on Helios being completely broken- it's a huge part of my being able to easily manage MFDs in the A-10, F18, and F-16. BIGNEWY- this page should have a list of the files that Helios modifies for you to pass along to the developers:

https://github.com/HeliosVirtualCockpit/Helios/tree/master/Patching/Patches/DCS

This change was clearly not thought through... If mods are going to be whitelisted manually, how do we verify those? Does every unique release of mods have to be whitelisted? Are these then tied all of a sudden to DCS releases? 

This is reported, but please understand we do not test DCS with mods, this is what OB is for. The team will take a look.

• Like 3

64Sig.png

• ED Team
9 hours ago, Tippis said:

There exists exactly zero evidence to support that stance and an overwhelming amount of evidence to support that the RWR actually functions as an intelligently designed RWR. If those internal doubters have anything to say to try to bolster their case, present it, otherwise it will — entirely correctly — continue to be seen as an inaccurate and bugged implementation.

There's an argument to be made that the F-5 has the wrong RWR, but that is something very different. In that case, the proper solution would be to give it the correct and properly functioning RWR, not to keep the wrong and incorrectly modelled one.

In a way the same thing goes for this entire IC debacle: is there any actual evidence to support the notion that the supposed problems that this is meant to fix even exist? The simple fact of the matter is that this wholesale banning of much-needed adjustments has broken the game. I hope this was not the intent and that the breakage will be fixed in short order.

I have told the team if the believe its right we need to explain why and with evidence. I am still waiting. 

5 hours ago, Blackdog said:

Tacca's (Modified by Waze) NVG mod 1.2.1

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3316348/

(have to delete the Bazar\shaders\MaterialFactory\laserbeam.hlsl to pass IC prior to 2.7.6.12852)

In the Viper in VR it allows you to see 'under' the NVG like you can IRL so that you don't have to flip the NVGs up and down constantly to use the MFDs -- night missions pretty terrible without it.

Edit:  To be clear it would pass IC after removing the laserbeam file prior to 2.7.6.12852 (side effect that you could see faint red laser beam outside of the NVGs but inside of the default NVG mask) -- now mod just doesn't work.

If ED would give the ability to increase/decrease apparent 'distance' of NVG and position from your VR eyes like you can IRL to see around the goggles and use instruments this mod would not be needed.

I will talk to Wags about this in the morning and see if this can be a feature request for the Viper, seems to make sense. Thanks

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

64Sig.png