encoders too slow ...

condor64

Hi
I had mapped buttons 23/24 on my constallation in order to zoom in  /out (slow zoom) of the view. It works (buffered encoders) but extremely slowly. Is there a way to speed up the movement? I don't find any tutorial about

Edited by condor64

• condor64 changed the title to encoders too slow ...
On 9/17/2021 at 10:16 AM, condor64 said:

Hi
I had mapped buttons 23/24 on my constallation in order to zoom in  /out (slow zoom) of the view. It works (buffered encoders) but extremely slowly. Is there a way to speed up the movement? I don't find any tutorial about

Map the encoders to a virtual axis and use the axis instead.

DCS:A-10C / DCS:Ka-50 / DCS:UH-1H / DCS:Mig21bis / DCS:P-51D / DCS:Mi-8MTV2 / DCS:Fw190D9 / DCS:Bf109K4 / DCS:C-101EB / DCS:L-39C / DCS:F-5E / DCS:Spitfire LF Mk. IX / DCS:AJS37

On 9/25/2021 at 10:49 AM, Skwirl865 said:

At minute 8:05 but I highly recommend watching all his videos.  They helped me greatly. 
https://youtu.be/ZtgR6HUJE6U

As I said when you posted this in a thread on the Virpil forums, HavocCompanyClan's (aka HC_Official) videos are very valuable tools for people who are new to how Virpil devices work. However, some of them are outdated and are not relevant any more.  The one you link to is a good example of this.  This video was done some time ago, and is using software that is well over 2 years old.  The section on Encoders - what we are discussing here - is not really relevant any more. The types available, including Encoder12 and Encoder24 no longer exist, and the way delays are managed have changed also from the 0/1 options of the Delay Timer in the video.

I know it's very time consuming, but @HC_Official, it would be nice to refresh some of the incredibly useful, but older, videos to catch up on the software.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

1 hour ago, imacken said:

As I said when you posted this in a thread on the Virpil forums, HavocCompanyClan's (aka HC_Official) videos are very valuable tools for people who are new to how Virpil devices work. However, some of them are outdated and are not relevant any more.  The one you link to is a good example of this.  This video was done some time ago, and is using software that is well over 2 years old.  The section on Encoders - what we are discussing here - is not really relevant any more. The types available, including Encoder12 and Encoder24 no longer exist, and the way delays are managed have changed also from the 0/1 options of the Delay Timer in the video.

I know it's very time consuming, but @HC_Official, it would be nice to refresh some of the incredibly useful, but older, videos to catch up on the software.

well Ian ................... been waiting on the "new" version of Virpil software for many many months now and still no sign of it, I am holding off until that is released

because it has some new cool features, so not updating any videos for now

I have tagged any very old videos with OUTDATED in the title and links to a newer updated version of the video, but wont be doing the buttons one until new version released

Back when Virpil were just starting out, there was a new build every two weeks for a very long time, it was like hitting a moving target

• Like 1

No more pre-orders

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

I totally understand. No criticism intended!

I really am a little concerned about various things re Virpil atm.  The software is one. I have been testing the beta version for months now, and the new features work really well, and have done for a long time. I am mystified by why this was not released some time ago. I am also concerned about NVV. He has not responded to my feedback for a long time now and doesn’t reply to messages. I also haven’t seen him on the forums for some time. Could be related. 
I also have some concerns about the fact that stuff bought on their site now has 1-2 week lead time. It used to be months! Add to that summer offers re delivery etc., I really wonder what is going on at Virpil. 
Might be nothing, but…..

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

On 9/29/2021 at 4:00 AM, imacken said:

I just got my throttle about a month ago, updated to the newest firmware amd software and while there were some differences, I was still able to get my encoders set to work quite well for radar elevation and hmd brightness knob in the f-16. 
I agree that a refresh would be nice but I wouldn’t have posted the video if it hadn’t just worked so well for me and I’m not only brand new to dcs but brand new to pc gaming all together.  Dcs is my first and only game and this is my first time setting up controllers in software. 
I figured if I can figure it out as clueless as I am, anyone can. 
either way, it couldn’t hurt to watch.  
bound to learn something helpful from it🤷🏾‍♂️

Edited by Skwirl865

• 2 weeks later...

I have a similar issue. I like to map the encoder dials to HSI heading/course knobs but it is so slow it is almost unusable. Does anyone know of a good workaround?

RTX 3080 12GB  *  i7-13700K  *  64GB DDR5  *  Windows 11

Not yet. The 2 encoders on the base of the throttle are fine for me: I use them for NVG brightness etc, but the button 14/15 one on the right throttle I use in the F-16 for MAN RNG CW/CCW, which is annoyingly slow indeed, and no matter which options I change in the software, it stays slow: untick "delay for encoders", change EncoderDial to EncoderScroll, or to Button, ...

• Like 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

I too am confused.  I just received my CM3 last week and have been scrambling to get things setup. The two scroll wheels on the throttle (Left buttons 2-3 and the right buttons 15-16) are useless as they are setup out of the box. Even changing them to "EncoderScroll" doesn't help.  I believe that it is possible to change these to a virtual axis, however, I am mystified on how to do it. I would like to use the left scroll wheel for RPM settings in WWII aircraft. Right now I am using the left throttle axis for single engine planes. What am I gonna do for the Mossie?

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Edited by Leadbottom
spelling errors

• 2 months later...

I set the encoder delay to 140 ms and that helped a little but still have to turn the encoder many times to go from full zoom out to zoom in. I would like that to be 1 revolution at most. In fact it would be nice if it had an 'acceleraion feature' like mice do. Spin the dial fast-send a lot of keypresses, spin the dial slow-get high resolution.

I tried using joystick gremlin to map each encoder direction to a macro. 
The macro consists of many keypresses for zooming out or zooming in. Unfortunately, this is not much faster and is also stuttery-so you never know how much you will end up with. Currently I have the flaps axis set up as zoom but I would prefer using the encoder for this. Any updates on this issue?

This is how to create a virtual axis from buttons in virpil software directly. No need for joystick gremlin

https://forum.virpil.com/index.php?/topic/850-setting-delta-encoder-wheel-as-virtual-axis-and-hardcoded-axis-precision/

Edited by skypickle

4930K @ 4.5, 32g ram, TitanPascal

Guys, why are you not using the ‘normal’ zoom axis, i.e. the one under your 3rd finger’, for zoom? It is perfect. The encoders work well for other controls, but not zoom.