Easiest WWII fighter to learn and fly

badger7966

Hi

Im thinking about buying a WWII flying machine and I dont know which one to pick....but I would like it to be a German one.Id like something with a bit of a mix....good air to air and a good attack too.

What are the easiest to learn to fly and operate.....take off,Nav,landing and so forte.

Thanking you for your time and replys.

Depends what your priorities are…

Personally I found the Anton to be the easiest to get going on - taxi, take off, circuits, landing, basic A2A and A2G gunnery.  A good Jabo, but very difficult to get results against AI fighter opposition

Dora is quite similar but better for A2A.

I will second the A8 as an easier fly. It is much easier to keep level. But if your looking for the Ferrari in the pack to jump in where most of the business is down low, go with the Messerschmitt. But to be honest, IMO you are really going to want at least one  plane on each team, and I can't recommend the P51 more. The ED version is simply pure pleasure. The beautiful thing is you can use the free trainer to get a taste before committing.

But to be honest, I really don't think you will be disappointed in any of the available modules. Do a little research first to get an idea of what each of the modules is about in terms of the type of flying to expect as a preface to what your looking for, and I think you will pretty much get what your expecting as advertised.

Good luck with your decision. 

• Like 1

P-51 is definetely the easiest one. Very stable in flight easy taxing thanks to steerable tail wheel.

In dora there is problematic part when to stop pulling stick to lock tail wheel in early part of take off, often ending with stalling during take off.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

I agree with graf on the Mustang. However learning how to fight with it is a neverending struggle as it does not like high AoA maneuvering, and 100% of fights with AI require high AoA maneuvering to get a shot unless they are distracted on another target or you catch them unaware with a boom n zoom. 

Don't forget you can add auto-rudder and take-off assist under the Special tab in Settings to help you get started. 

My favorite prop training exercise is to go river racing from Poti to Kustaisi on the Caucasus map.  Try to stay between the river banks and below tree top level while avoiding the bridges and power lines.  There are some nice hairpin turns on the river that will allow you to practice your Immelmann turns.

• Like 1

Looks like I'm in the minority then, finding the P-47 the easiest. Once you check the Special Option to auto-correct side slip during flight and set Y-saturation for pitch at around 80%, I found it to be a very docile aircraft to land, and easy to control in a dogfight.

• Like 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

I guess it depends on everyone own experience, I find the P-51 the easiest despite Komandogerat feature, it's not just management, it's also the ease to master with regard to flying the thing. Anyway my impression might be biased by the fact that P-51 is like a big Cessna engine management wise. Still the easier to learn and the best ground since you can apply everything you learn with it to any other plane. Germans on the other hand aren't that alike, there are important changes between Bf109 and Fw190 with regard to management.

My feeling is from a pedagogical perspective you can learn P-51 and then go Spit and you're at home, then P-47 and it's only a step forward but still similar, then go German and you perfectly know and appreciate what they "simplified" with Komandogerat and everything so you will be able to fly them right away with just a couple tips for 190 or 109. The other way around on the other hand means you can learn to fly a 190, it's not exactly the same as 109 so you'll have to get used to it, but then if you go allied you'll have to learn again how an actual aircraft is flown, and I mean to these days since they are exactly the same management wise as today standards, so in my experience it's not as optimal as a learning curve.

S!

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar
  • Like 1

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Checking auto rudder and take off assist takes 90% chalange off learning to fly ww2 planes. How good you will fight very depends on your ability to correct side slip this will determine how close to aircraft's limits you can fly. After auto rudder uncheck, you will have to learn almost everything again.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

I love them all, but if I had to recommend one for a beginner it would be the P-51.

As @Callsign112 said above, It's free. If you have never flown a taildragger before,

you can use the TF-51D to learn all the basics before you commit to a purchase.

The only downside being no weapons.

I do not recommend using "auto rudder" unless you don't have pedals.

Auto Rudder is for joysticks with a twist grip. As @grafspee mentioned above, if you

learn with it on, you will have to learn all over again if you turn it off. You might as well use game mode. 

To start learning, set the "Take Off Assistance" to 50 and then reduce it 10 at a time until you can take off consistently without it.

The Bf-109 K  is the only German plane I own and except for last year's "free to play" event

I haven't flown the Anton or the Dora very much, but IIRC I liked the Anton best.

I found all three DE planes difficult to taxi, but once you get them off the ground and trimmed they all fly really nice.

Once you get the hang of flying a taildragger, the differences between the WW11 birds are minor.

The hardest part for me to get used to is that touchdown speed is only about 5mph above stall speed.

Be mindful of that and you'll have lots of fun.  Good luck with your choice.  HVYapur.png

• Like 2

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

Good advice from rayray. I see some have recommended the FW 190 A8. Yes, easy to fly and a great strafer but lacks in dogfight mode. It's a beast to land...long, flat approach and as he says, touchdown and stall are a bee's dick apart. If you get her, watch those safety latches on the gear. Had me flummoxed for a bit...The P 51 is a gem. Simple, honest and has loooong legs.

Edited by Hornetjock

Trying out the TF51 is a great call.  It’ll give a very good indication of what it’s like to fly a warbird, with their various quirks.  If you’re comfortable with that, then have a think about whether you’d prefer a dog fighter, multirole or primarily ground attack

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.