How do I get 6-dof with G2?

Lurker

Hi, total G2 newb here. How do I get 6-dof movement with my G2 in DCS? Currently when I move my head forwards and backwards, the whole "space" moves with me. I don't know how to explain it better. Any ideas anyone?

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

sounds like you havent "zero'd" the headset.

Turn on WMR, go into WMR first then "do the moves" it asks you to do ... should work ok, also make sure you have enough light.  then go into steam VR

Edited by speed-of-heat

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

12 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

sounds like you havent "zero'd" the headset.

Turn on WMR, go into WMR first then "do the moves" it asks you to do ... should work ok, also make sure you have enough light.  then go into steam VR

Is this WMR for Steam or Windows WMR? 

I think I have done so. I've done so twice since reinstalling windows actually. Can you please elaborate on doing the moves? I've chosen the "seating" position where you don't really have to move or anything. Is that wrong? Do I have to circle my PC? 

Edited by Lurker

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

Hi Lurker,

When you first setup the WMR G2 headset you are using Windows WMR and in there it asks if you are using seated position or Standing/Walking profile. If you select Sitting you will come up to a screen where it asks you to turn your head left and right to scan your area in the  Seated position..

For this to work the best you need to have a well lit room plus it is not reccomended to have a blank/empty room. like if you are seated at your Desk and have speakers and such on the desk it should see them to base a reference point vs a blank wall..

Edited by The_Nephilim
  • Thanks 1

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

7 minutes ago, The_Nephilim said:

Hi Lurker,

When you first setup the WMR G2 headset you are using Windows WMR and in there it asks if you are using seated position or Standing/Walking profile. If you select Sitting you will come up to a screen where it asks you to turn your head left and right to scan your area in the  Seated position..

For this to work the best you need to have a well lit room plus it is not reccomended to have a blank/empty room. like if you are seated at your Desk and have speakers and such on the desk it should see them to base a reference point vs a blank wall..

Okay, thanks Nephilim. I guess I'll have to redo this part. 

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

Is this WMR for Steam or Windows WMR? 

I think I have done so. I've done so twice since reinstalling windows actually. Can you please elaborate on doing the moves? I've chosen the "seating" position where you don't really have to move or anything. Is that wrong? Do I have to circle my PC? 

WMR, i use seated 

• Thanks 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Most of the time when I plug my G2 in and put it on, I have a message telling me to look up and down, and side-to-side.  Doesn't matter if you're sitting or standing when you do this, but I'm usually standing.  After I do that, its ready to go with 6DOF.  Does yours ever ask you to do that, Lurker?  Also, if you have Steam VR and Steam VR for WMR installed on your machine, there's no reason to manually enter SteamVR.  Once you plug your headset in and look up-down-left-right to get it calibrated, you'll be in the WMR environment in VR.  After that, what I do, is to sit down in my "pit", lift the headset enough to see my monitor and double-click on my DCS icon like I normally do.  Pull the headset back down and get into your flying position, and SteamVR will automatically start as DCS starts.  You'll see an orb of exploding triangles in VR as SteamVR starts on its own, and shortly thereafter, you'll be in the DCS hangar.  I have also found that the G2 doesn't need as much light to operate properly as the G1 did.  The only time I have completely lost 6DOF due to lighting in the room was when all of the lights, and the monitor were turned off.  Too much light can also lead to strange behavior, so its all about experimenting and finding what works best for you in your gaming environment.

Edited by eaglecash867

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

It's odd as I have never seen this message (6DOF is working fine) yet a friend has. If I get this issue, I do the requisite head movement or just reset the seated position in WMR and it tends to go. It seems more prone to happen in low light conditions.

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

2 minutes ago, zildac said:

It's odd as I have never seen this message (6DOF is working fine) yet a friend has. If I get this issue, I do the requisite head movement or just reset the seated position in WMR and it tends to go. It seems more prone to happen in low light conditions.

Back when I was using the G2 I never saw that message either, but I also never really had a tracking issue with it.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Do you guys keep your headset plugged into your computer all the time and turn it on and off with the power cord for the power brick?

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Just now, eaglecash867 said:

Do you guys keep your headset plugged into your computer all the time and turn it on and off with the power cord for the power brick?

I do.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

1 minute ago, eaglecash867 said:

I used to unplug the cord, now I have one of the newer USB cables I still unplug the cord even though it has a switch 😀

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

Interesting.  Wonder what the difference is.  Maybe its the low light conditions observation you made, Zildac.  My gaming area is also my workshop, so I have some REALLY bright lights in there that I have to shut off when using the G2 because it really freaks out with those.  Once I do the up-down-left-right thing though, it works great, even in the lower light.

I'm at work now so I can't yet comment on what caused this but my guess is: I actually don't put on the headset until DCS loads in. So basically I start WMR, start Steam VR, start DCS and only then put on my headset. That's probably what was causing the issue. 

Edited by Lurker

My room is fairly low lit as well.

Don B

Ye

12 hours ago, The_Nephilim said:

Hi Lurker,

6 hours ago, Lurker said:

I'm at work now so I can't yet comment on what caused this but my guess is: I actually don't put on the headset until DCS loads in. So basically I start WMR, start Steam VR, start DCS and only then put on my headset. That's probably what was causing the issue. 

Yep, this was it. Thanks for all the help guys.