P-47D 20-RE Razorback as an option

River

As the P 47D 20 RE Razorback is the same aircraft as our current DCS P 47, I'd recommend ED doing this as and additional option like the Clipped Wing Spitfire. 

The only changes as far as I can tell is the missing Dorsal Fin and the Bubble canopy. 

These aircraft were built in big numbers, flew during WW2 in Europe and are even more iconic than the later P 47D versions we have in DCS. 

As the changes between the two are minimal it shouldn't be to much effort giving us a Razorback P 47D.

It would be a great addition to the existing plane set we have right now. 

Thank you

Edited by River
  • Like 18

• River changed the title to P-47D 20-RE Razorback as an option

+1 too here please.....it would be a great addition to the collection 👍

• Like 1

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with MFG 10cm Extension/WINWING Orion Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition)/TrackiR5/Windows 11 Home

• 2 weeks later...

Would be cool, but I wouldnt necessarily say its a simple task to make it from the one we have. Its fairly well known that there are differences in stability characteristics between bubble top and razorback aircraft, on both the Jug and the Mustang. Considering that alot of the work for the 47 in DCS had to be done on CFD etc due to the scarcity of original data, its may not be as easy as one would assume to create a razorback on the basis of what we currently have in DCS.

• Like 2

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

On 9/13/2021 at 4:34 PM, River said:

As the P 47D 20 RE Razorback is the same aircraft as our current DCS P 47, I'd recommend ED doing this as and additional option like the Clipped Wing Spitfire. 

The only changes as far as I can tell is the missing Dorsal Fin and the Bubble canopy. 

These aircraft were built in big numbers, flew during WW2 in Europe and are even more iconic than the later P 47D versions we have in DCS. 

As the changes between the two are minimal it shouldn't be to much effort giving us a Razorback P 47D.

It would be a great addition to the existing plane set we have right now. 

Thank you

Hear Hear I wish they had released this version first.

6 minutes ago, capt_bob007 said:

Hear Hear I wish they had released this version first.

did you mention the Razor Back did not have the the cut down rear fuselage ??  this was why it was called the JUG as it looked like a milk bottle. check your grammar or facts.

Edited by capt_bob007

I'd prefer a D-22 or D-23 just because they'd still be competitive with the later war stuff that we have (they have the paddle props, D-22 has Hamilton Standard and D-23 has Curtis Electric. D-22/23 could be used in scenarios from late 43/early 44 up to the end war scenarios. Best version of the razorback imo.

Once they add earlier German aircraft like the G-6, etc. I'd be fine with the D-20.

Edited by Legioneod
  • Like 2

D-22/23 would be perfect

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...
On 9/14/2021 at 1:59 PM, Reflected said:

I would love a razorback too. I like it more than the bubble canopy version.

Actually come to think of it so do I......but I'm glad you said it first Greg,lol 🤣

Edited by Basco1
  • Like 1

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with MFG 10cm Extension/WINWING Orion Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition)/TrackiR5/Windows 11 Home

• 4 weeks later...

No, the D23 would make the most sense. It was the last of the razorbacks and the closest in performance to the ones we have. They wouldn't even have to change the fm. I wouldn't mind if some modder who knew what he was doing, used the D30 model and made a razorback out of it. 

And no Malcolm hood. That's missing the point of doing the razorback version, in my opinion.

On 12/13/2021 at 9:50 AM, Ercoupe said:

No, the D23 would make the most sense. It was the last of the razorbacks and the closest in performance to the ones we have. They wouldn't even have to change the fm. I wouldn't mind if some modder who knew what he was doing, used the D30 model and made a razorback out of it. 

And no Malcolm hood. That's missing the point of doing the razorback version, in my opinion.

D-22 and D-23 are identical except for the prop and they have similar performance, D-22 being slightly faster. Even the D-20 would be similar in performance when using the same engine settings.

FM would need to be reworked to some degree due to the difference in fuselage.

Edited by Legioneod

Just bumping this up again.............please ED is there a chance of this happening ?

15 hours ago, Legioneod said:

D-22 and D-23 are identical except for the prop and they have similar performance, D-22 being slightly faster. Even the D-20 would be similar in performance when using the same engine settings.

FM would need to be reworked to some degree due to the difference in fuselage.

Performance and handling wise, the D22/23 would be slightly better than the bubble top D30/40. By “slightly” I means that you would have to be very familiar with them to feel the difference.

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Razorback would be wonderful, even if it was a separate module. WW2-centered portion of ED is small, sadly, but this won't be a full scale module development either, and post-release support would be pretty much completely shared with existing D-30/40. And razorback does look better )

• Like 1