Supercarrier radar as the intercept agent

Gierasimov

In addition to E-2 and E-3 aircraft, there are a number of surface based radars that are used for AIC (Air Intercept Control) functions.

These include the AN/SPS-48, a shipboard, 3-dimensional radar, the AN/SPS-43, a shorter ranged system found on carriers which provide ASR and carrier controller approach functions as well as doubling as an AIC asset, and the AN/SPS-49, a two-dimensional search radar that provides range and bearing information to airborne contacts. The AN/SPS-49 is a complement to the SPS-48 system.

I would love if we could use the Super Carrier to have the intercept control capabilities so that I don't need to put blue units EWR 1L13, EWR 55G6, E2 or E3 assets. It seems somewhat not that complex to achieve, or maybe I am wrong, still...

...a wish on a Super Carrier wish list.  

sps48.jpg

• Like 5

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

Well as an IADS all should communicate, yes, I am sure that large vessels do provide EWR in real life. 

By the way, what's that grape doing there? - I must look into my carrier deck script I guess.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

First they need to define those 2 RADARs (which specifically, are the AN/SPS-48E NTU and the AN/SPS-49(V)5 NTU).

At the moment there are only 2 RADARs defined for these ships:

• "carrier search radar" - which is a generic surface-search RADAR, shared with the Kuznetsov (despite the 2 using completely different RADARs)
  • "seasparrow tr" - this refers to the Mk95 illuminators, which are used as part of the Mk91 FCS to provide illumination to the RIM-7M (should be RIM-7P for our ships though) for some reason these have acquisition capability - IRL acquisition is provided by either the AN/SPS-48E, AN/SPS-49(V)5 or possibly the AN/SPG-9B.

Past that, absolutely +1, ships should data-link (AFAIK, our ships have Link 4A, Link 11, Link 14) to other units, and should be able to act as GCI stations. Our Hornet should be able to receive Link 4A, as with the Tomcat, I'm pretty sure NTDS is still around as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

There are periods of time when the boat does go into harms way where we would go full EMCON, the only RADAR's Rotating and Radiating were on board the E-2's and AWACS on station. Ships RADAR was used for search of incoming threats and returning Air Wing aircraft.  Now the Ready five could of been vectored to a target, but that was usually done by the Ticonderoga class AEGIS Cruisers.  The Carrier is too important of a platform to risk giving away it location.  Of course that's a moot point if there are hostile subs in the area, they will hear us a continent away from the four giant screws beating the water and that Jet noise on deck carriers underwater too.  

:drinks_cheers:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sempre Fortis