is there any way to set up fully manual countermeasures?

Skwirl865

i mean like the hit the flare button and 1 flare comes out, hit the other button, 1 chaff comes out.  is this bpssible and if so, is it complicated to make happen?

having to drop both at the same time OR having to stitch programs in the heat of the moment is just horrible.

18 minutes ago, Paganus said:

It can be changed. There are 4 programs that are fully configurable. Early access guide pages 300-301.

I know the programs are programmable but u only have access to 1 at a time right?  Like u can’t fire program 1 and then immediately fire program 2. U have to change programs and THEN fire program 2. 

im hoping there’s a way to edit the panic button profile and just set it to be either chaff or flare and set the other one as the other so I can have a chaff button and a flare button and not have to turn a knob between the 2. 

7 minutes ago, Skwirl865 said:

I know the programs are programmable but u only have access to 1 at a time right?  Like u can’t fire program 1 and then immediately fire program 2. U have to change programs and THEN fire program 2. 

im hoping there’s a way to edit the panic button profile and just set it to be either chaff or flare and set the other one as the other so I can have a chaff button and a flare button and not have to turn a knob between the 2. 

If you have enough buttons you can bind one for 1 or 2 specific programs.

8 minutes ago, Ignition said:

If you have enough buttons you can bind one for 1 or 2 specific programs.

That’s actually what I did but it would be really nice to have that extra spot or 2 free and be able to just chaff or flare in the moment instead of one, then switch programs and then do the other.  
if we could just edit the panic button program, that would be perfect

22 minutes ago, Skwirl865 said:

That’s actually what I did but it would be really nice to have that extra spot or 2 free and be able to just chaff or flare in the moment instead of one, then switch programs and then do the other.  
if we could just edit the panic button program, that would be perfect

You can.

DCS World\Mods\aircraft\F-16C\Cockpit\Scripts\EWS\CMDS\device\CMDS_ALE47.lua program 5 is panic.

Keep in mind every time DCS updates you need to change it again

• Like 1

Edit two programs. The first program can be any but program 5. The second should be program 5. This way the HOTAS CM command would be chaff for example, and the panic button would be flares.

• Like 2

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

yep read the manual 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

22 minutes ago, Hawkeye_UK said:

yep read the manual 

I didn’t know that was in the manual. Gotta admit I only read the chucks guide. This is my first module and starting out can be a bit overwhelming.  I also don’t have any of gaming experience so not only trying to learn dcs and the f16 but controls, hotas systems, graphics stuff, 3rd party mapping software, product research and reviews and all the rest of the mountain of Information that comes with being brand new. 
I’m workin on it. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Hawkeye_UK said:

yep read the manual 

19 minutes ago, Skwirl865 said:

I didn’t know that was in the manual. Gotta admit I only read the chucks guide. This is my first module and starting out can be a bit overwhelming.  I also don’t have any of gaming experience so not only trying to learn dcs and the f16 but controls, hotas systems, graphics stuff, 3rd party mapping software, product research and reviews and all the rest of the mountain of Information that comes with being brand new. 
I’m workin on it. 

It's not in the manual and is in no way intuitive, so don't worry. The manual specifically says you can modify the 4 actual CMS programs "Any of the four programs may be changed using the Increment/Decrement switch on the ICP to select each in sequence." (DCS: F-16C Viper Early Access Guide, 10 August 2021, p. 301).

There's nothing in there about the slap switch or program 5. I use DICE and don't know if program 5 can be modified using CMS DED pages. And of course in the first place you'd have to know that program 5 is the slap program.

So even though reading and re-visiting the manual once in a while is advisable in general, you would not find this information there.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, itn said:

don't know if program 5 can be modified using CMS DED pages.

It can be done. I always program #1 and #5, which I can then activate through the HOTAS. So I always have to programs available to activate immediately if needed.

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

17 hours ago, Skwirl865 said:

I’m workin on it. 

Yep it must be a steep learning curve coming into DCS i guess but keep with it and patience and perseverance is the key (along with frequency of virtually flying).

The more you learn the more you get a reward from playing.  I cannot recommend enough reading the procedures and also setting up simple missions to practice what you have learnt.

Good luck.  Also if you struggle quite often you will find things on you tube, red kite is one to pay attention to as his videos are generally excellent  also many features are covered by Wags in his videos also which are worth watching.  Avoid people like spudknocker and grim reapers they are generally low on knowledge but do get some aspects over and can provide an initial visual guide if that helps.  But yep manuals and chucks guides.  Have to remember also just as in real life, only get proficient by having to study and the slog pays off as you acquire knowledge that you can then use to manipulate systems or tactically apply to a situation.

As for air combat, in all honesty the best thing you can read as to regards tactics in ACM that is not classified and publically available is Shaw's book on Fighter Combat - Tactics and Maneuvering.  Still applicable now.  Luckily ive just googled to see if available and this link has it free http://falcon.blu3wolf.com/Docs/Fighter Combat-Tactics and Maneuvering.pdf.

Enjoy!

• Like 2

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

15 hours ago, Hawkeye_UK said:

Yep it must be a steep learning curve coming into DCS i guess but keep with it and patience and perseverance is the key (along with frequency of virtually flying).

The more you learn the more you get a reward from playing.  I cannot recommend enough reading the procedures and also setting up simple missions to practice what you have learnt.

Good luck.  Also if you struggle quite often you will find things on you tube, red kite is one to pay attention to as his videos are generally excellent  also many features are covered by Wags in his videos also which are worth watching.  Avoid people like spudknocker and grim reapers they are generally low on knowledge but do get some aspects over and can provide an initial visual guide if that helps.  But yep manuals and chucks guides.  Have to remember also just as in real life, only get proficient by having to study and the slog pays off as you acquire knowledge that you can then use to manipulate systems or tactically apply to a situation.

As for air combat, in all honesty the best thing you can read as to regards tactics in ACM that is not classified and publically available is Shaw's book on Fighter Combat - Tactics and Maneuvering.  Still applicable now.  Luckily ive just googled to see if available and this link has it free http://falcon.blu3wolf.com/Docs/Fighter Combat-Tactics and Maneuvering.pdf.

Enjoy!

Actually, I didn’t come up with the idea of changing the panic button profile myself when I said it in the beginning. I had heard or seen in before or at least I thought i had but i just couldn’t think of where or how. 
turns out, it was one of redkite’s videos.  I found it again after everybody said “.lua” files.  I just punched in YouTube, “dcs countermeasures .lua” and redkite’s video popped up first.
 I immediately remembered that’s where I seen it.
 I actually watch them all or at least have.  Wags is always the first person I go to. 
 I don’t like grim reapers cuz his videos don’t really teach u anything. He is good for 1 thing tho. Anytime I need to know the name of a function I want to map, I can reference his video on in and know that in the first couple minutes, he’ll pull up the controls and I can see the keyboard commands for the controls for whatever the topic is. 
I’ll start focusing more on redkite but not having any background or experience in aviation at all, even chucks guides would be Chinese to me or at least a lot less beneficial.  
it's a lot easier to remember things, when u have some understanding of them so I use videos to add context to the functions in the guide and manual. 
Even just the terminology.  Being able to hear them in context over and over from different people from video to video for someone who doesn’t play games, knows nothing about aviation systems or terminology and who’s never sim’ed anything before, they all helped in some small way of for nothing more than helping show that the mountain of information in the manual isn’t insurmountable. Seeing the things actually happen, makes the literature make more sense, especially in the very beginning.  
Actually, growling sidewinders videos are the root of how I found dcs. My youngest son (13) started watching his videos and within a week he downloaded the game. 
a few months and a few thousand dollars (entire pc rebuild, 2 hotas’ and modules/maps for 2 accounts) later, here I am asking for help editing .lua files for countermeasure programs pissed off at Doug masters and Chappy Sinclair for making it look like all I needed was to “keep my big mouth shut” and play some good music in the background. 
ain’t life grand? Lol

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2021 at 1:42 AM, itn said:

It's not in the manual and is in no way intuitive, so don't worry. The manual specifically says you can modify the 4 actual CMS programs "Any of the four programs may be changed using the Increment/Decrement switch on the ICP to select each in sequence." (DCS: F-16C Viper Early Access Guide, 10 August 2021, p. 301).

There's nothing in there about the slap switch or program 5. I use DICE and don't know if program 5 can be modified using CMS DED pages. And of course in the first place you'd have to know that program 5 is the slap program.

So even though reading and re-visiting the manual once in a while is advisable in general, you would not find this information there.

@Skwirl865 - yes do not worry. some people knew everything about F16 straight from the womb. the rest of us read the manual, fly, read the manual, fly. each time we are visiting the manuals and watching various videos makes more sense.

• Like 2

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

On 9/10/2021 at 6:43 PM, Hawkeye_UK said:

Luckily ive just googled to see if available and this link has it free http://falcon.blu3wolf.com/Docs/Fighter Combat-Tactics and Maneuvering.pdf.

ugh page 5 (24) "F-14, F-15, F-16, and F-18, which mount a single M61 Catling gun"

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

On 9/26/2021 at 8:46 AM, silverdevil said:

ugh page 5 (24) "F-14, F-15, F-16, and F-18, which mount a single M61 Catling gun"

Little known variant of the Vulcan cannon which fires miniature felines (catlings) that tear the enemy apart with their claws. Pretty sure using it against ground targets is considered a war crime by most nations, but the US of course didn't sign that treaty. 

• Like 5