Upgrading to a GTX 3090 (UK) - which brand should I buy?

14 hours ago, beats said:

My current PC SPEC: (updated)
GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Intel i7-7800X CPU @ 3.50GHz, 6 core

ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME (MB)

32 GB RAM ()
RiftS

- To summarise, its looking like a new pc build to house a 3090 card or upgrade system above with new processor and extra 32gb ram - comments on above system upgrade?

All three posts before this one (replying to yours) present good points, regardless of different opinions.

In my opinion, I think you should just get the RTX3090 or RTX3080Ti, for now use it in that system you have and enjoy it like that, and wait for about two months, to understand what are the better options for the new system that you want to build. 

And here's why...

Intel 12th gen "Alder Lake" will be released in next October/November.

It's an all new CPU, like a revolution instead of evolution. Supposedly there's over 20% increase in single-core performance, which is quite a big jump in raw performance when comparing to both the current Intel 11th gen and AMD Ryzen 5000 CPUs. Add to that a really dramatic multi-core performance increase.

Plus, it'll use DDR5 RAM, which will provide the biggest generational jump in RAM memory so far, with absurd speed and bandwith increases (reading speeds surpassing 90GB/s).

With that said, not everything is good. The problem with this new tech will be the prices, which will be salty:

- Intel 12th gen CPUs may now have higher price segments. (will be making a separate thread with info about 12th gen)

- Z690 motherboards are rumoured to be more expensive than Z590, rumours placing price increase at 25% and over. 

- DDR5 RAM will be about 2x the price of DDR4 initially. Which is even more expensive than expected, outrageously so for those getting RAM kits of 32GB, 64GB and 128GB.

Also, we don't know yet how this will translate into DCS performance.

As we know, DCS still has quite a few quirks and lacks optimization. It could be the case that all this jump in hardware performance does not translate all that well into performance increase in games like DCS, and people could end up paying 1.5x to 2.0x more(!) in parts, just to get small gains over what is currently available.

It may be worth it, or it may not - unknown at this point. So, caution is advised, before rushing headfirst.

Wait and see. 🙂

There'll be a time when all this is more clear, with reviews, dissections and user experiences shared for all to see, and we can discuss about this again.

Edited by LucShep
  • Like 2

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | UAD Volt1 + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

21 hours ago, BitMaster said:

47,62€ more than what that potential 64GB kit would cost. Just that the number stood for a Ryzen 5900X + Gigabyte Aorus Master X570S + 64GB Gskill Trident Z Neo DDR4 3200-14-14-14-34 4x16GB for a total of 1.367,62€ only 1 click away.  That is the difference between DDR4 and DDR5. Wow !  Indeed a bit shocked.

Very true, but my point was more that one should wait, even if he does not want to purchase Alder Lake, as the old stuff may have a price drop once the new stuff is released. Maybe you can even get a better deal once Alder Lake and DDR5 hit the market? IMO, it is very much worth to wait these few weeks...I've read, that there will be DDR4 Mainboards available for Alder-Lake in the beginning. So there is no need to pay the DDR5 prices if one is considering Alder Lake. IF this turns out to be true.

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2021 at 3:46 PM, ShaunX said:

What is an RV2 ? Do you mean a Reverb G2 ? I love mine.. I've actually just flown your Sunset Cruise with RAF Tornados sortie this morning in it. Very nice indeed 😉

If I were in your position, with the budget to spend on a VR-3, I'd instead get a new high spec build in a modern case with good cooling, dedicated to gaming/DCS and a Reverb G2 for pretty much the same money - or maybe a Vive Pro 2 for a bit more.

I've seen the VR-3 Youtube clips and it looks amazing, but pushing those extra pixels in the single threading DCS engine, on the Syria map with lots of AI, that's another matter and I reckon it's gonna be a stutter fest with even the highest spec rigs around at the moment. I have to make compromises with my 5900X/3090/G2 to maintain locked 45 FPS in some complex scenarios, and don't even get me started on the Marianas !

Just my opinion. Others MMV.

Hey glad you enjoyed the missions and thanks for the feedback. 

Optimisation is an important part of VR for DCS, agreed, and part of mission editing too as im finding out with all maps

14 hours ago, beats said:

Hey glad you enjoyed the missions and thanks for the feedback. 

Optimisation is an important part of VR for DCS, agreed, and part of mission editing too as im finding out with all maps

Had some visitors this week (VR & DCS virgins!). Sat them in my pit with the G2 and let them experience a track file I made of your "Sunset Cruise with RAF Tornados". Blew them away!

• Like 1

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

On 9/29/2021 at 9:08 AM, ShaunX said:

Had some visitors this week (VR & DCS virgins!). Sat them in my pit with the G2 and let them experience a track file I made of your "Sunset Cruise with RAF Tornados". Blew them away!

Ha excellent, its flying therapy! Thanks for letting me know, now im smiling

MSI or EVGA.

I'm so happy with my EVGA 1080Ti I would recommand it vs a 2080 no problem for the price, since I'm running MSI motherboard my next upgrade will be an MSI GPU.

• Like 1

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

Gear In Stock Tracker

Useful link for shopping.

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

If I may throw another option into the new build pot...

Although earlier posts are quite rightly suggesting that it might be very wise to wait for Intel's Alder Lake with DDR5 to hit the market, concerns have also been raised over initial price and initial DDR5 availability/compatability and even how much perfromance increase this will actually give in DCS. All unknown factors until the dust settles.

An alternative would be to go for an AMD build. The Ryzen 9 5900X and 5950Xs are arguably, currently the fastest gaming processors around. I personally have a 5900X with a 3090 and Reverb G2 and can testify that it's VR performance in DCS with high graphics settings is excellent with no overclocking required.

AMD, like Intel, will be bringing out a new line of even faster architecture (Zen 4) which will support DDR5 and which, like Intel, will undoubtedly require new motherboards. However, they're unlikely to be available for another year/18 months at minimum and in the meantime, they're planning to start producing 3D V-Cache variants of their 5000 series cpus which have demonstrated a further 15% average gaming performance boost. So there's an upgrade path on their existing x570 motherboards should you need one.

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/news/amd-unveils-more-ryzen-3d-packaging-and-v-cache-details-at-hot-chips

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/amds-prototype-zen-cpu-delivers-15-gaming-boost-and-will-be-in-production-by-the-end-of-the-year/

Just some further food for thought.

Life is short. Carpe Diem 😉

• Like 2

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards