F/A-18C DataLink - Is this the dumbest question ever?

Toni Carrera

Hi Fellow Pilots,

I have just watched a video by Matt Wagner (2019) regarding the apparent awesomeness of the DataLink capabilities of specifically using it in the F/A-18C. I know it is available in some other jets, but my question relates to the 18.

Do you need to fit a DataLink Pod to the aircraft, or is it built in. I only ask because either way I have tried, I can't get anywhere near the kind of information that Matt displays in his video. I have powered it on etc, and tried to replicate the mission, but still can't get anywhere near the amount of data. 

I did try and find a mission tutorial or something that I could run, to see if it is working etc on my system, but could not find such a mission.

So, the ultimate stupid question is, do I need to always fit the pod to use one, and then I will try to work out how to use it

Thank you 

Toni Carrera (Ice Rhino)

ThrustMaster HOTAS Warthog Throttle & A10C Stick, ThrustMaster F/A-18C Stick, ThrustMaster TFRP Pedals, ThrustMaster Cougars x 2, fitted to CubeSim USB Screens, TrackIR 4 Active LED & Cap Reflector, Stream Deck XL

Intel® Core™ i7-5820K 12 Core Processor, 32GB RAM, 1 x 500GB SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD, 1 x 1TB SSD 4 x 4TB Western Digital Mechanical. 2 x ASUS GTX 1080's SLI, ASUS 29" Ultrawide flanked by 2 x 22" IPS Monitors

Nope, the MIDS LVT is a built in terminal. The datalink pod is only for man in the loop weapons.

Mobius708

For the link 16 datalink,  you just need to press the D/L pushbutton on the UFC and the press ON/OFF to turn the system on. (also interconnected with TACAN) Most likely you don't have SAMs or an AWACs in the mission to populate/clutter the SA format.

• Like 1

Thank you for the response. I do have a DarkStar roaming about and three different enemy Track and Search Radars, which I was using for HARM practise and then just saw his video and thought I would add an AWACS and three unarmed Hawks to come at me, just so I could test it all. Even though the AWACS is within 40 miles of me and the Hawks, even AWACS does not see them. My radar does, and they do show on the SA until they merge with me, and then they are gone from the SA

Anyway, I will keep persisting and also see if I can find a training mission to use

Thank you for you advice

Toni Carrera (Ice Rhino)

ThrustMaster HOTAS Warthog Throttle & A10C Stick, ThrustMaster F/A-18C Stick, ThrustMaster TFRP Pedals, ThrustMaster Cougars x 2, fitted to CubeSim USB Screens, TrackIR 4 Active LED & Cap Reflector, Stream Deck XL

Intel® Core™ i7-5820K 12 Core Processor, 32GB RAM, 1 x 500GB SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD, 1 x 1TB SSD 4 x 4TB Western Digital Mechanical. 2 x ASUS GTX 1080's SLI, ASUS 29" Ultrawide flanked by 2 x 22" IPS Monitors

4 hours ago, Ice Rhino said:

I will keep persisting and also see if I can find a training mission to use

This old mission still works, it uses Moose to spawn a couple of low skill AI F-5 or L-39 to practice.

AWACS is on 251 MHz for bogie dope calls etc.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

I have checked what you suggested re the AWACS and as you can see, the setting is there

Screenshot 2021-09-09 115415.png

Toni Carrera (Ice Rhino)

4 hours ago, Ice Rhino said:

I have checked what you suggested re the AWACS and as you can see, the setting is there

If still having issues getting the data-link to work, can you share the mission or a short track file.

Note that as DCS doesn't model frequency "hopping", the data link can be "jammed" by certain tacan channels i.e. a poorly chosen tanker frequency, etc. that operates in the same range.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

1 hour ago, Xamik75 said:

What TACAN channels should be avoided for tanker? 🤔

Avoid A/A TACAN on channels 01-36 and 64-99 on X and Y.

Edited by Tholozor
  • Like 1

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

Interesting... is this modeled?  It seems my Liberation missions always assign tanker TACANs sequentially starting at 1.
Well yes, it's a bug...

The datalink should be frequency hoping so TACAN should be a non factor.

Mobius708

Interesting... is this modeled?  It seems my Liberation missions always assign tanker TACANs sequentially starting at 1.
Well yes, it's a bug. (DCS limitation)
The datalink should be frequency hoping so TACAN should be a non factor.

Mobius708

2 hours ago, Stearmandriver said:

... so it seems like AA TACAN channel assignment really doesn't matter.

It does but it doesn't cover as broad a range of channels as some have suggested and it can be a bit of "pot luck" if it causes an issue.

IIRC Ch 07-09 used to be problematic but that was a couple of years ago, now I have a "white list" of channels that I know don't cause problems, there was a list posted on the forums of channels to avoid but it never quite matched up with my experience in game.

You'd soon know if there was an issue, as everything for the datalink would be setup correctly but no data received from the AWACS.

As Ice Rhino made no mention of other aircraft/TACAN's  in his mission, I'm assuming that isn't his issue but thought it worth mentioning as it's caught out a few mission makers.

Edited by Ramsay
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ramsay said:

It does but it doesn't cover as broad a range of channels as some have suggested and it can be a bit of "pot luck" if it causes an issue.

IIRC Ch 07-09 used to be problematic but that was a couple of years ago, now I have a "white list" of channels that I know don't cause problems, there was a list posted on the forums of channels to avoid but it never quite matched up with my experience in game.

You'd soon know if there was an issue, as everything for the datalink would be setup correctly but no data received from the AWACS.

As Ice Rhino made no mention of other aircraft/TACAN's  in his mission, I'm assuming that isn't his issue but thought it worth mentioning as it's caught out a few mission makers.

All good to know; thanks for the explanation! 

Datalink seems to be broken on Marianas, possibly Persian Gulf too.

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

On 9/10/2021 at 7:37 AM, MARLAN_ said:

Datalink seems to be broken on Marianas, possibly Persian Gulf too.

No data link issue here in either map when testing in SP.

The E3 AWACS @20,000ft was loosing contact with notching enemy flying at lower altitudes (15,000ft) but that's perhaps due to the recent radar changes or the geometry of the mission.

In neither test did the AWACS callout a radio contract that wasn't also displayed on the Hornet's SA page etc.

Tested using USA E3 vs Russian MiG-23 and Tu-142, Andersen and Sirri, DCS 2.7.5.10869

On 9/9/2021 at 11:56 AM, Ice Rhino said:

Screenshot 2021-09-09 115415.png

You should put AWACS in a Race-Track instead of Orbit because the high wing when turning reduces/cuts the radome radar scan. 

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

Yeah, the racetrack option was not there, but maybe I need to add an additional waypoint to make that option appear

Thanks

Toni Carrera (Ice Rhino)

8 hours ago, Ramsay said:

No data link issue here in either map when testing in SP.

Only breaks in multiplayer.

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

On 9/11/2021 at 3:33 PM, Ice Rhino said:

Yeah, the racetrack option was not there, but maybe I need to add an additional waypoint to make that option appear

Thanks

Yes it doesn´t show up if you only have 1 waypoint. I use 2 waypoints, then racetrack option from WP1 to WP2.

Regards.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

Thanks Fagulha, all sorted now

• Like 1

Toni Carrera (Ice Rhino)