In TWS mode, what is the difference between EXP mode and SCAN RAID mode?

JoeAce

59 minutes ago, JoeAce said:

Both modes have the scan zoomed in and centered on the L&S at 10 nm range.

Check the AZ/EL page, you'll see what @Hulkbust44 is talking about.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

RAID is for when you are unsure of the numbers in a group and want the radar to use some of its processing power to try and figure out if there are more targets in the location of the L&S.  EXP is simply an expanded view of what you have.  So if you have the contacts you want to shoot in TWS and they are closely spaced: shoot the L&S, hit expand, enjoy a zoomed in view as you step to the next target to verify it stepped correctly and shoot again.  What is supposed to happen with EXP is that as you shoot in EXP, it automatically exits EXP and returns you to the scale you entered EXP in. 

If you need to let the radar do some work, TWS RAID to get your track files and then shoot both.  It won't automatically exit RAID, so you should do so in order maintain SA on the radar azimuth.  Both are similar, just different uses- if you have it all sorted, EXP to make sure it steps correctly on closely spaced track files, if you need to break the targets out, RAID until you have your targets.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/6/2021 at 9:25 PM, Mo410 said:

RAID is for when you are unsure of the numbers in a group and want the radar to use some of its processing power to try and figure out if there are more targets in the location of the L&S.  EXP is simply an expanded view of what you have.  So if you have the contacts you want to shoot in TWS and they are closely spaced: shoot the L&S, hit expand, enjoy a zoomed in view as you step to the next target to verify it stepped correctly and shoot again.  What is supposed to happen with EXP is that as you shoot in EXP, it automatically exits EXP and returns you to the scale you entered EXP in. 

If you need to let the radar do some work, TWS RAID to get your track files and then shoot both.  It won't automatically exit RAID, so you should do so in order maintain SA on the radar azimuth.  Both are similar, just different uses- if you have it all sorted, EXP to make sure it steps correctly on closely spaced track files, if you need to break the targets out, RAID until you have your targets.  

I was just playing around with RAID and as long as bandits were not too far from each other in vertical (if they were stacked... forget it) and was able to plink away 4 120s with all connecting. Nothing changed in ED's implementation of RAID in months. I was able to designate each bandit on RAID page with TDC. First press created a tiny diamond on bandits track, the second press designated it as L&S. 

I marked the vid on entering the RAID mode. Disregard the other 'stuff' in the vid, just goofing off with HUD + HMD setup... imagining I was flying fat amy:biggrin:

On 9/25/2021 at 7:00 PM, Gripes323 said:

I was just playing around with RAID and as long as bandits were not too far from each other in vertical (if they were stacked... forget it) and was able to plink away 4 120s with all connecting. Nothing changed in ED's implementation of RAID in months. I was able to designate each bandit on RAID page with TDC. First press created a tiny diamond on bandits track, the second press designated it as L&S. 

I marked the vid on entering the RAID mode. Disregard the other 'stuff' in the vid, just goofing off with HUD + HMD setup... imagining I was flying fat amy:biggrin:

You can do this same thing in EXP and not worry about vertical stacking and you won't have to slew the cursor to bug a target, you can use the NWS button to step as normal, though the update speed will not be as fast.

Apart from what was already mentioned, in DCS they are fairly similar since radar cell resolution isn't modeled, so the radar doesn't *need* to break apart contacts since we never have the issue currently. RAID solves a problem that doesn't really exist in DCS right now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.