Official transport aviation module in DCS World!

ThorBrasil

As you can see. ED is planning to launch a transport aircraft. Which aircraft would you like to see on DCS as your first transport aircraft? I would like the C-130J, KC390, C-17 globemaster III or C-2B.

9 hours ago, Minsky said:

Key moments from the just released interview with Eagle Dynamics (in Russian)

- ED is going to make a transport/cargo plane (the devs gave it a thought and decided that it's worth a shot). Details will be announced "in due time".

There's a VERY small hint that this could be a WWII era module, but this is just my assumption, so don't quote me on this - ED haven't said anything specific.

- AH-64: still on track to be released this year, there shouldn't be any delays. More than 15 SMEs are working on it (for comparison: typical ED module only has 2 or 3 assigned experts). Still, the team prefers real-world documents and data (if available) over the SMEs opinions, especially when they contradict each other.

- At the moment, no 3rd party modules are queued for ED's review/certification. They haven't seen Kiowa or F-15E yet, so have no idea of their current status and quality.

- F-4 Phantom is "definitely coming to DCS, and quite soon".

- GCI/AWACS module: on the wishlist, but is kinda challenging. Maybe someday.

- VR. This is now a priority task for ED to make it significantly better.

- Updated manual for the Mission Editor will be released this Fall.

- In development: improved infantry models with new animations. Improved infantry' pathfinding logic. "We're actively training our paratroopers right now". All older AI units will get the new models, eventually (inlc. S-3B).

- The World War II Marianas will be released as a standalone map - not as a "time layer" for the current map, as suggested earlier. The map is still in pre-production.

- Users should expect "appropriate vehicles, ships and planes" to be released for the 1944' Marianas.

- The devs are still committed to make the full fidelity MiG-29 once the Black Shark 3 is released.

- Dynamic campaign: initial release will be limited to single player. Multiplayer mode will be added later. "We're big fans of Falcon BMS".

- Chizh: the devs are quite satisfied with the controversial R-27ER's FM rework. Another round of fine-tuning in different modes is planned for later, but this could result in a slightly nerfed stats. Same overhaul is planned for the R-77, but it will be much more challenging, because of the missile's grid fins and the lack of unclassified data.

- Several dedicated devs are currently assigned to upgrade all air-to-air missiles to the new flight model. Once done, they'll gonna rework the proximity fuzes.

• Thanks 3

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

I think a DC-3/C-47 would probably be the most versatile, given it would fit with the WWII modules, and is still in service today with private cargo operators.  My personal pick would be the C-130.  In use with air forces all over the world, from the 1960s to present day.  The IL-76 already has a big presence in DCS, a  FF version would be nice too, though perhaps less prolific than the Hercules (probably not by much).  Either way, tactical transport makes much more sense than strategic lift, so doubtful we'll see a C-5 or 141 any time.

The C-2 is more a personnel than logistics transport, most carriers would be replenished by other vessels, so although it would be nice to have, I don't think the COD would play a critical role in a dynamic campaign.

Personally, I would be happiest with a C-130K.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

Or one of these to start with:

C-160, CN235, F27, An-26 or -30 (or maybe an An-2)

This would avoid also having to deal with the 2+ engines issue

Edit:

I'm not opposed to the C-47, but it wouldn't be very realistic or useful in our semi-modern '90s scenarios

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I’d like a Ju-52 🙏

• Like 3

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I would purchase a DCS C-47/DC3 in a heartbeat.

• Like 2

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

Oh man I would kill for an official Hercules. I would settle for any modern(ish) cargo plane in DCS though as I feel that it would be an awesome addition, especially in multiplayer where currently the only way to ship cargo is via Helicopters. 

Transporting material and personnel to forward airbases, or recently captured airstrips quickly, to aid the war effort would add another tactical layer to the game. It would also provide more priority targets for enemy jets to engage and destroy. 

This is great news, all in all. 

• Like 3

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

Remember ED has talk about "paratroopers" training. On the 3D vehicle develop document from some months ago, ED show russian paratroopers, and actually we have WW2 US airborne troops (Without parachute) on WW2 assets pack.

The DC-3 / C-47 has on progress by ED to WW2 assets pack and can be a perfect testbed to start all initial transport, parachuting, glide towing funtionality. Others can be a il-76 (the russian parartroopers and a BMD-1 with parachute), an-26 and an-32, and US C-130s and future new C-17 AI with a US parachute soldier.

Edited by Silver_Dragon
  • Like 1

If it's WWII, then it's DC-3. I mean, what else could it be? 🙂 Plus, it also fits, lets see... every era we have in DCS. It's still flying in 2021, and not only as a heritage aircraft! 🙂 You probably wouldn't see it flying around the modern Persian Gulf very much, but North Korea still uses them, and they're still around in civilian use in less affluent countries.

If modern, probably the C-130. Ubiquitous (if not quite to the level of DC-3), small enough not to be a total hog, and it even has an option to turn it into an armed AC-130 somewhere down the road, opening up combat missions.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sirrah said:

This would avoid also having to deal with the 2+ engines issue

This needs to be highlighted.

One of the most common limitation that is always brought up by almost every developer in relation to heavier aircraft is that more than two engines is horrid, for… reasons. Whether clearly explained or not, that reason must sill temper any and all expectations for rumoured future modules.

Unless they have been contracted by an outside party to create a new engine sim (similar to how the Yak and CE2 came about), it's supremely unlikely that this rumour would yield a modern 4+ engine aircraft… or even a 3-engine Junkers. This quite significantly reduces the odds of it being a modern aircraft.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

29 minutes ago, Dragon1-1 said:

There are modern cargo planes with just two engines (Transall C-160, CASA C-295), but they're non-US planes.

And we need yet another US plane? Why? 🤨

How about a C-123 then? Not modern, but closer to modern than a C-47 😉

As you might notice from my suggestions, I haven't taken the DCS WW2 plunge yet, hence I'd rather see a more modern transporter.

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I hope it's a more modern aircraft. Like a C-130. If the ED can make an F-18 and F-16. A 4-engine aircraft will be very easy for them.

• Like 1

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

Here is a good reminder of just how much of a workhorse the C-130 was during the Vietnam war. Often times they got shot up putting out an engine just trying to get to their destination.

If you don't have much time to see the whole thing I recommend watching from 11:07min.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThorBrasil said:

A 4-engine aircraft will be very easy for them.

The sim had been coded with the intention of flying fighters, which generally have one or two engines. There might be technical issues with more than that. I hoped there won't be, but if there are, a 4-engine aircraft would potentially require a lot of recoding. 

17 minutes ago, Dragon1-1 said:

O sim foi codificado com a intenção de pilotar caças, que geralmente possuem um ou dois motores. Pode haver problemas técnicos com mais do que isso. Eu esperava que não houvesse, mas se houver, uma aeronave de 4 motores potencialmente exigiria muita recodificação. 

ED has done a great job on the DCS and I'm sure they are capable of doing all 4 engines. I still dream of the day a C-130 arrives at the DCS.

• Like 1