Variables

Exnom

Hello, 

I would like to set simple variables, like x=400 or y=20000. And then I can use x as speed in knots and y as height for different tankers in a mission for example. If I want to change the speed now, i only have to change my variable and not every single waypoint of every single plane. 

Thanks

• Like 1

That is something we are hoping for some time now. Note that this falls into multiple categories:

• Named Variables -- in ED we currently have a simple numerical 'variable' that is called 'Flag' and can be referred to by an index number. For some time we would like ED to expand on this by being able to refer to these flags by name (e.g. "minSpeed"), not only by number. Note that this already exists when you are working in Lua, there is no access via ED, though)
  • Change ED GUI to be able to access named variables instead of static numbers. This is an update to all actions that currently only take numerical input, to be able to accept a flag/variable as input. DCS backend already does this and requires no update; this is 'only' a GUI change, albeit a large one

• Like 2

I think what Exnom is saying is he would like to set custom values for different waypoint inputs that reference the same value. For instance creates "tankerSpeed" and sets it to 400, then when placing any aircraft he could set the speed to be "tankerSpeed" instead of an actual number. If he decided the speed was to fast or to slow he'd adjust where tankerSpeed was defined at and then every waypoint with that assigned value would adjust accordingly. 

• Like 1

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

I like both of you answears but what Grimes says is basically that what I want. Just a simple system for variables. In the first step there is no need to integrate it in the flag system. In my simple mind it should not be a problem, but I have no idea how difficult it is, to bring it into the DCS code.

So there should be a new window called "Custom Variables", where I define things like "Speed_Carrier_Group= 10" or "Altitude_AWACS = 20000". And then I put in the variables instead of numbers when I define my waypoints for examples.

As addition there could be a checkbox for every variable called: "Personal variable" Every variable that is marked as a "Personal variable" is saved somewhere outside the current mission and is available for every mission I create. Then I would even save time, because I dont have to define the variables every time again.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...