Thrust to weight ratio: confused

bkthunder

I flew the MiG-29 quite a bit lately and enjoying the FM overall. 

However, while I read and hear everyone saying it has the best T/W ratio in game, I have the opposite experience. 

I test flew it, flying close to the ground at low speed (~150kts) and then going into a full A/B "vertical" climb, the aircraft doesn't accelerate. At low altitude where engine thrust is maxed, if T/W ratio is >1 it should indeed gain speed as it climbs, instead the MiG-29A bleeds speed. 

I have run the same test on F-15 and F-18, and they both slowly gain speed up to about 5000ft, where engine thrust seems to decrease to the point of being less than the weight of the aircraft, and airspeed starts to decrease. 

In all cases I am talking about clean aircraft with 50% fuel.

Then I read the DCS MiG-29 manual and I find this: 

image.png

So, the DCS manual says the aircraft is 10900 kg empty, and the maximum thrust is 8300 Kg. 

According to the manual the DCS MiG-29 has a empty T/W ratio of 0.76. 

I think that's for a single engine, so 16600Kg in total. a T/W ratio of  1.52

I have looked around and pretty much all sources I could find, from wikipedia (I know...) to "From Farnborough to Kubinka - An American MiG-29 Experience Benjamin S. Lambeth" state the A/B static thrust to be in the range of 18200 lbs or about 8200 Kg. So in line with the manual

Why then in game the performance seems underwhelming? 

Update 9/15/2021

I performed several tests and recorded the data with Tacview. 

Test 1: 

At sea level and in Full A/B, initiate a constant 3g pull at 300Kts(CAS) up to an attitude of 80 degrees. Record altitude at 300, 250, 200, 250 and 100kts intervals. 

Each test performed 3 times for each aircraft, the numbers you see are the average values of the 3 tests. 

image.png

It appears that the MiG-29A is the worst performer while the F-16 is the best, with the F-18 a close second.

Test 2: 

At sea level and in full A/B, initiate a high alpha pull up at 200kts, up to an attitude of 70 degrees. 

With a T/W ratio of 1.2 for each aircraft, I expect each airplane to be able to accelerate vertically at low altitude. 

This is proven correct for the F-18, F-16 and F-15: they all gain a few knots from 200 up to 213-215 while climbing at 70 degrees pitch. 

The speed starts to decay after passing 6000ft for all aircraft. 

For the MiG-29A it's a different story: given the same conditions above, the speed drops immediately as the attitude of 70 degrees is set. The aircraft is never able to gain nor to maintain speed in a 70 degree climb at any altitude.

Each test performed twice for each aircraft. 

I attach here the tacview file. 

The trk exceeds the allowable file size, can you suggest a sharing service that doesn't require to sign up?

Tacview-20210915-175010-DCS.zip.acmi

Edited by bkthunder

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

Usually static thrust parameter is the engine parameter - one engine, not all powerplant of aircraft. Regarding Thrust to Weight ratios your flight test of vertical climb is not appriopriate, as on high angle of attack, your lift to drag coefficient (L/D) may vary with different aircraft. In such test you took into account forces: weight, thrust, and you forgot about acting forces: lift and drag. If you would like to perform such test, I would suggest take-off-roll time and distance to chosen speed for example: 185 kias, it will also do not show correct numbers but will be much closer to judge T/W ratios.

Edited by Mateo
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mateo said:

I would suggest take-off-roll time and distance to chosen speed

I'd avoid adding ground friction to the equation as it's known to be different for some modules.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

On 9/5/2021 at 8:10 PM, bkthunder said:

Good question.

In DCS, some are overperforming, like F-18 and F14 (i remember reading french pilot telling how easy it was to win a dogfight vs the big F14), and some are underperforming, like Mig-29.

Why ?

mmmh.. i have some ideas, but....

Edited by sylkhan
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, sylkhan said:

Good question.

In DCS, some are overperforming, like F-18 and F14 (i remember reading french pilot telling how easy it was to win a dogfight vs the big F14), and some are underperforming, like Mig-29.

Why ?

Need to be clear though if its an F-14A that may be the case especially if flown by newer pilots.  The F14 is not a plane you fly well quickly and without a lot of practice.  Currently thrust wise we know that the A is overperforming in mil and underperforming in AB.  B was about right although a change a few months ago had a knock off effect that had a bunch of effects on its FM that they are fixing.  As far as i'm aware the MIG-29 is more or less right, it even went through another FM revision sometime last year or earlier this year.

Edited by nighthawk2174
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, sylkhan said:

Good question.

Why ?

Trolling attempt 4/10

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 3

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

• ED Team

Hi all, 

if you think there is a bug please add track replay examples of your tests. 

Feelings wont cut it for bug reports. 

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

11 hours ago, nighthawk2174 said:

Need to be clear though if its an F-14A that may be the case especially if flown by newer pilots. ....

It was in 2002, certainly against F-14D Super tomcat, flown by pilots from USS Theodore Roosevelt and  C. Stennis.

rafale vs f-1.png

On 9/5/2021 at 2:10 PM, bkthunder said:

The slow speed power curve on those engines isn't terribly impressive last I looked.  But I could be wrong.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

On 9/7/2021 at 9:32 AM, sylkhan said:

It was in 2002, certainly against F-14D Super tomcat, flown by pilots from USS Theodore Roosevelt and  C. Stennis.

You do know that even when the cat were retired there were more As in service than any other type, right?

• Like 3

Yeah idk about this thread, for me when I'm cooking along at max AB I need almost full forward trim and some forward stick deflection just to keep it from going into orbit. 

Seems like it has the best T/W in the game from where I'm sitting. F-14A/B, 15, 16, 18, su-27/33, and mirage don't even come close, in the acceleration department. So if it is under performing I don't think it really matters all that much you still have power in spades. 

Doesn't seem underwhelming for me at all.

Edited by Wizard_03
  • Like 3

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

3 hours ago, bkthunder said:

Please see the first post, I updated it 😉

I am not an expert, but you need to remove drag from the equation in order to check T/W ratio. I mean, if you mount MiGs engines on a sphere that is the same weight as the MiG you will have the same T/W but the performance will be different since a sphere has much higher drag coef. than the actual plane.

Cmptohocah=CMPTOHOCAH 😉

But this is looking more like an FC3 vs. new aircraft turning.   The F-18 and F-16 should be losing thrust much faster than the fighters with variable ramps in those climbs.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I guess the only wayt to test T/W in DCS is to somehow have the airplane in vertical (like a space rocket), at sea-level and with full after-burners on.

If it starts climbing, then its T/W is indeed greater than one and the rate of climb would indicate how much it is. Or rather vertical acceleration.

Cmptohocah=CMPTOHOCAH 😉

Well, if you consider testing like this alone, you're exactly right, you have to somehow remove drag from the equation.

But, you can't even really guarantee that the thrust you're getting is correct.

So, at slow speed drag is pretty much not that big of a deal, right?  But at the same time the motors lose a lot of thrust when installed and at slow speed.

What we do have or well, ED has for the F-18 and F-16 are acceleration charts.  The eagle and miG-29 have them too, and I'm sure those two aircraft match their charts quite well.  I don't know about the other two though.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

7 hours ago, Cmptohocah said:

I guess the only wayt to test T/W in DCS is to somehow have the airplane in vertical (like a space rocket), at sea-level and with full after-burners on.

If it starts climbing, then its T/W is indeed greater than one and the rate of climb would indicate how much it is. Or rather vertical acceleration.

Exactly, and that’s what I tried to do with test 1 and test 2. 
Especially in test 2 I put the aircraft at low speed and almost vertical. Low speed means drag is less relevant (drag increases with square of speed) and by being nearly vertical in both tests I tried to rule out lift as much as possible. 

Either way, the difference between the Mig-29 and F-18 is massive, and this doesn’t go well with the widespread knowledge/legend that the Mig-29 has a massive advantage in thrust. 
The F-15 also looks weak compared to the F-18 and F-16.

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

1 hour ago, bkthunder said:

Exactly, and that’s what I tried to do with test 1 and test 2. 
Especially in test 2 I put the aircraft at low speed and almost vertical. Low speed means drag is less relevant (drag increases with square of speed) and by being nearly vertical in both tests I tried to rule out lift as much as possible. 

Either way, the difference between the Mig-29 and F-18 is massive, and this doesn’t go well with the widespread knowledge/legend that the Mig-29 has a massive advantage in thrust. 

You could also try the ground roll test suggested above. Or cutting the engines at high speed at a given altitude and using the deceleration to measure drag directly. You could then do the opposite and accelerate at that altitude and work out thrust (not exactly, but it should be close).

I haven't performed tests like those you have, but anecdotally the F-16 seems to vastly outperform everything in the transonic except maybe the F-14B. I've never noticed the F-18 to be particularly good, but I usually test with stores on. The MiG is dominant at high speed though, above Mach 1.5 or so the acceleration just becomes ridiculous. Something that seems odd about the F-15 is that in level flight it accelerates well, but even a shallow climb hurts it more than the F-16.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

13 hours ago, GGTharos said:

So, at slow speed drag is pretty much not that big of a deal, right?  But at the same time the motors lose a lot of thrust when installed and at slow speed.

Thrust-to-weight ratios are given for max. weight and installed engines at sea-level altitude, so basically "static thrust". Pretty much all the engines are rated for this condition, as far as I am aware.

Cmptohocah=CMPTOHOCAH 😉

Empty T/Ws with AB

F-15C - 1.69

X2 F100-PW-220 @ 47540lbs combined

empty weight - 28000lbs 

F-16C BLK 50 no CFTs - 1.58

X1 F110-GE-129 @ 28984lbs

empty weight - 18238lbs

F/A-18C - 1.53

X2 F404-GE-402 @ 35400lbs combined

empty weight - 23000lbs

MiG-29A - 1.51 

X2 RD-33 @ 36680lbs combined

empty weight - 24251lbs

Sources: wiki/F-16.net

Take these with a grain of salt but it seems I was wrong the MiGs perceived performance advantage may have a lot more to do with lift then thrust. Very interesting. 

(F-15 though 🤪 lol)

Edited by Wizard_03
  • Like 1

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

55 minutes ago, Wizard_03 said:

Take these with a grain of salt but it seems I was wrong the MiGs perceived performance advantage may have a lot more to do with lift then thrust. Very interesting. 

(F-15 though 🤪 lol)

You are correct. It has to do with lift-to-drag ratio. That's how airplanes that don't have T/W higher than one, get up in the air.

For example, if you deploy an air-brake on the F-15 it will still have the same T/W ratio, but it won't fly as fast.

Cmptohocah=CMPTOHOCAH 😉