Power Distribution and External Lights BUGs

Bricux

Dear ED crew,

I found another problem in "our" Viper. After in flight flameout (no fuel etc.) some plane functions don't work as desired.

Without engine GEN power doesn't work but should:

• Emergency Stores Jettison Button,
  • INS (HUD artificial horizon)
  • TACAN

Screen to proof:

Spoiler

Problem.png

Source:

Spoiler

1.16 removed

I described another problem in different topic, there was no response so i'll post it here also.

A simple matter, in the DCS F-16 it is impossible to light the position lights (wing / tail) without the wing tip position lights (form lights). The wing tip lights are determined by the intensity of the wing / tail lights. I found a picture of USAF showing the Viper AAR in the mentioned light config (wingtip OFF and wing / tail ON).

150310-F-MG591-356.jpg

I think the intensity of the wingtip lights should not depend on the wing / tail lights. We should turn off the wingtip lights with the FORM LIGHTS intensity knob, leaving the wing / tail ON. Now it's impossible because You can use FORM knob dimmer with only wing / tail lights OFF.

You can see different intensity setting on both lights (YouTube):

Spoiler

• ED Team

I will ask the team. 

please in the future do not post real world manuals here on the forum, rules can be found at the top of the forum, I have removed the image

thanks

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

Hi,

I have spoken to the team, for our viper the current implementation is correct. 

Thanks

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I don't want to pretend to be an expert, but with all due respect to the F16 team, the fact that the emergency jettison button cannot be operated without engine electric power sounds like absurd.

Can be right that the INS is powered by the emergency bus in Peace Xenia aircrafts only. But from the emergency diagrams and tables in GR1F-16CJ-1 (which describes blocks 50 and 52+), the emergency jettison button is powered by the emergency bus probably in every version described by the manual.

Edited by Bricux
  • Like 1

EJ certainly works with an engine out glide. Even if MMC and ST STA switches are off the EJ button overrides them on to accomplish it. It takes a lot to disable EJ.

INS is powered during engine failure. I don't know if the HUD still works as before but ADI should still.

The 5 position switche exterior light system this variant has is a little complicated but everything I've seen in DCS looks correct.

• Thanks 1

On 9/7/2021 at 6:58 AM, Bricux said:

I don't want to pretend to be an expert, ...

Why it will be easier to track bug reports when they are done individually.

Emergency Jettison should work with EPU power AFAIK, the other stuff, I do not know.

On another note:

They lights work as they should in DCS, AFAIK

Reference photo is from a Norwegian A motel and video from a Polish block 52+. Not the same aircraft we have...yes, lighting systems change also. Hell A models only had one generator and EPU for main electrical power. We should have Main gen, stand by gen and EPU in DCS...point, things change for versions to versions, country to country and year to year, etc.

That is wrong, not Norwegian, Netherlands, but it is an A model. Wing structural patches show that

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

On 9/7/2021 at 5:20 PM, Frederf said:

INS is powered during engine failure. I don't know if the HUD still works as before but ADI should still.

According to this video uploaded in 2008 the HUD should work without engine power.

• Thanks 1

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

5 hours ago, WHOGX5 said:

According to this video uploaded in 2008 the HUD should work without engine power.

And we can clearly see that TCN also working.

@BIGNEWY @Wags 

Bearing in mind the opinions and "evidence" presented by others. With all courtesy, please take a second look at this matter. Let's make Viper as good as possible, together 😉

Edited by Bricux

• ED Team

Hi @Bricux

are you able to tell me the block and tape number from the video?

I am happy to run it by the team again, but I need to be absolutely sure that it is from the version we are doing.

thanks

AFAIK, block 30. This happened in 1996

http://www.cnn.com/US/9606/29/spectacular.landing/

https://www.f-16.net/units_article16.html

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

• ED Team
26 minutes ago, mvsgas said:

thanks