Leopard2 AP rounds - no laser distance correction

Wychmaster

All variants of the Leopard 2 MBT seem to ignore the distance measured by the laser range finder. The projectiles always fall short at higher distances. The HE rounds are just fine. I have attached a track file to demonstreate the problem for all 4 variants. As reference, I also fired some shots with an Abrams that does not have this problem.

bug_leopard2.trk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

@Flappie I did some more testing today and it seems that all tanks with the Abrams being the exception are affected by this bug. Additionally, I found out that the "bug" only occurs if the lased target is farther away than 3500 meters. Below these ranges, the AP rounds hit as expected. Since this is the same behaviour as with the coax machine gun if you exceed 1200(???) meters, I guess it is  just a maximum range number that needs to be tweaked. I can provide another track that demonstrates this, if you need it.

On 9/1/2021 at 5:55 PM, Wychmaster said:

All variants of the Leopard 2 MBT seem to ignore the distance measured by the laser range finder. The projectiles always fall short at higher distances. The HE rounds are just fine. I have attached a track file to demonstreate the problem for all 4 variants. As reference, I also fired some shots with an Abrams that does not have this problem.

bug_leopard2.trk 242.27 kB · 14 downloads

That seems to be a long-standing issue. I remember seeing this at least one year ago. I always thought it was related to effective range figures for AP rounds, as the AI tanks would also use HE rounds only at distances > 4000m.

• Thanks 1

Am 21.1.2022 um 18:52 schrieb Pilot Ike:

That seems to be a long-standing issue. I remember seeing this at least one year ago. I always thought it was related to effective range figures for AP rounds, as the AI tanks would also use HE rounds only at distances > 4000m.

I just searched for effecive engagement ranges for the APFSDS rounds and somewhere I read (didn't store the link 🤦‍♂️ - will search for it again if I have the time) that the targetting computer of some tank (can't remember if it was the Leopard 2 or the Abrams) will actually refuse to compute a solution for shots over 3500m because of its low POK. So I guess this is more or less "correct as is" and the true problem here is the missing feedback that no valid solution was computed and the gun is reset to the minimum distance (as with the COAX). In SPAAA systems with radar like the Shilka or the Tunguska you get at least an "In Range" indication as a hint.

vor 8 Stunden schrieb Apocalypse31:

In real life...

The Abrams will flash "0000" when a invalid range is lased.

The Leopard will show "F000A" when an invalid range is lased. 

It would be really nice to have this in game. The Abrams currently maxes out at 5000.

Agreed.

I tested nearly all playable units now and some tanks actually give you an indication if you got a valid firing solution or not (red, orange and green lights).

Also, the Abrams seems to be the only tank that gives you a 5000m solution on AP rounds. Most others max out at 3500m. Some older ones have even less range. Not sure if this is correct for the most recent tanks simulated in DCS (T-90?, latest Leopard 2?).

Anyways, I think some sort of indication that you have no valid firing solution is needed. Otherwise, people just wonder why their bullets drop short and conclude it is a CA bug (like I did 😉 ), while it isn't.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hey gents! Devs answered and they agree with you about the APFSDS rounds effective range, which seems to be inferior to that of HE rounds. Can you please share a declassified, rule 1.16 compatible document showing the "0000" and "F000A" warnings?

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

• ED Team
53 minutes ago, Apocalypse31 said:

I'd prefer to not invest any more energy into this effort unless I knew that it was getting fixed. 

My time is valuable too. 

Flappie is asking if you have any unclassified evidence, if you do please PM me. 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

@Apocalypse31 I'm asking because devs answered the report yesterday. They agree on current behavior being wrong. Now, they need more info in order to fix it for good.

Questions in need of unclassified sources are:

• What are the respective true ranging distance limits for AP and HE? (currently in DCS: 3500m for AP, 4500m -or maybe 5000m?- for HE)
  • Should the rangefinder "F000A" message be displayed at a different distance depending on selected ammo type? (e.g. appears with AP at +3500m / appears with HE at +4500m)
  • If not, what is the max ranging distance in a Leopard? (probably changed from version to version)

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2023 at 4:02 PM, Apocalypse31 said:

It was reported in September of 2021. I don't work for Eagle Dynamics and I'm not on call to support things when they clearly aren't supported from our end.

I'm not going to discuss that with developers, definitely not ones from a .ru website 

That is very rude Apocalypse...

I would really love to help you guys out here, but for several month now I am lacking the time to play DCS or do anything related. So I hope someone else will be able to provide the data. The only thing I might be able to do is starting another well known SIM that specializes on those "beasts of steel" and see what happens there. Since it is also sold to professional customers, I guess they depicted it correctly. However, I think you want some "first hand" sources for understandable reasons.

• 1 month later...