Thrustmaster Warthog or something else?

DevPreach

Hi All,

I'm looking at upgrading my HOTAS from the Logitech X56 which is starting to fail to the Thrustmaster Warthog as I have found them in stock or should I purchase something else?   Looking at my options I can get the Thrustmaster Warthog or WinWing Orion setup(if it ever comes off of backorder).    Should I get the Warthog or wait?    What do you guys like about the Warthog?   Is it truly plug and play with DCS or will there be some customization and tweaking needed on my part?    Any advice and assistance you all can provide is greatly appreciated.

DevPreach

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X OC'd to 4.4 GHz on all 8 Cores, Asus ROG STRIX GAMING-E MOBO, 3XWD Blue 500GB SSD, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250GB PCIE SSD, Seagate 4TB 7200RPM HDD, GIGABYTE AORUS AMD RADEON RX VEGA 56 Graphics Card, EVGA G2 SUPERNOVA 1000W PSU, THERMALTAKE VIEW 71 TG CASE, Saitek X56 Rhino HOTAS

Warthog throttle is OK, stick gimbals are not (coming from a frictionless modded TM Cougar).

I replaced the gimbal main spring first, then did some other modding and sanding + re-greasing. Still a no go for my taste.

Replaced the TM Warthog stick base with a Virpil WarBRD one and placed the TM stick on that one, i'm a happy camper.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

The Warthog HOTAS is "plug and play" but as Lange_666 has stated, it can be improved upon. Hardware-wise you will likely not think highly of the micro-stick (nipple) on the throttle and want the Deltasims mod to replace it. The stick movement is an objective issue, if you come from an easy to move stick (like a CH Fighterstick in my case) it can be a bit of a workout to use. The main friction spring can easily be replaced with the Green Spring mod to lighten it up if you don't like the OEM feel. I did the Deltasims mod right off the bat and for me it's 100% better. I weighed the pros and cons of putting the Green Spring mod in (€42) and decided to put those €€ toward a new VirPil WarBrd base instead. It is head and shoulders above the stock TM base in feel and build quality, just look at the videos on greasing the TM that show its construction and then the VirPil. The TM stick just screws right on, and with a couple quick setting changes your system will see it as a standard TM Warthog stick. Having said that the Warthog is an excellent choice and certainly can be used as-is. If you don't want to mess with LUA files there is a basic TARGET script that gives the throttle a DX# assignment for every switch\hat\button so all you do is assign each position in DCS settings.. 

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 552.12 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3447 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR

Honestly, the Warthog served me very well for numerous years without any sticktion, buttons failing or anything braking. Yes, there are better (and more expensive) solutions out there and the Warthog has it's flaws (slew control and gimbal, both design and material) but it is a solid entry HOTAS, coming with a decent throttle and good grip. I still use the grip on my WarBRD base and the throttle is still working like new for one of my friends. If you can afford it, i would recommend to go with the Warthog HOTAS and switch the slew control for the already mentioned Deltasim mod as well as replace the Joystick base with tha Virpil WarBRD base ASAP. This way you get a decent throttle and a realy good grip with a superb joystick base for a reasonable amount of cash.

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

If you never used a HOTAS then the Warthog gimbal might do the job because you don't know any better (but honestly, even a cheap joystick moves a lot better then Warthog gimbal imo). Coming from a Uber modded TM Cougar the Warthog gimbal just sucked, even when it felt a lot better the the original Cougar gimbal.

Once you go the decent gimbal road (Virpil, VKB...) there is now way you will return to the original Warthog gimbal.

As mentioned above, same can be said about the slew control. I changed mine with a Deltasim one. No return there either.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I’m going 2 years with the Warthog and I must of got lucky and got a good one / good QA because I actually love it for the Hornet and Tomcat. If you like the Viper you may want to put RealSimulator on your list it’s a force sensing stick with a very good program. The R3L base and the F16 stick I have setup as a side stick for the Viper kinda like the real deal. Just check it out he’s the link

https://realsimulator.com/

other than that I have no experience with any other brand but I’m glad I got the TM warthog as my very first Hotas. It really is a good product.

but honestly I have been looking at the Virpil design and I can see how everyone likes it. The cams and the springs look amazing. I’m sure it’s a great product too.

Edited by Burt

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020