Radar and Sam sites . ??

KoN

So what's the lowest you can fly in real life below radar . 

Is it 200 meters . 

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

• KoN changed the title to Radar and Sam sites . ??

Well I'm flying at 70m above tree top level and Sam's are picking me up locking me and firing and getting good hits . 

and I'm very low in my Hind .

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

70m above the trees is not very low.  Especially for a helicopter. 

Edit - I know this isn't a Hind, but any excuse to post this classic video

Edited by Lace
  • Like 6

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

11 minutes ago, KoN said:

Well I'm flying at 70m above tree top level and Sam's are picking me up locking me and firing and getting good hits . 

and I'm very low in my Hind.

What SAM systems/RADAR systems are you going up against?

And to answer your question it strongly depends on the RADAR system, as well as background clutter, as well as numerous other factors.

Bear in mind though that outside of a select few modules, RADARs in DCS are uber simplified, and almost none of their RL limitations are simulated - the best you get is a detection range in look-up and look-down, a mimimum radial velocity limit (think notch filter) and an update rate - that's it.

But as DD_Fenrir said, when getting close to air defences, you really want to be putting something in between you and them, and only pop-up sparingly, though 70m doesn't sound that low at all, it's certainly low but for helicopters you kinda want to be really low.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I know from the SAM System I used to work with, flying 70m in a helicopter gave me sufficient time to get a coffee and ruin someone's day after that. 

Usually helos are a hard target for a SAM System, but you have to fly in accordance. We used to be "scared" of helos and hoped the AAA was staying sharp. 

Really depends on the sam system , and in the one i worked with: how its configured , whether the operators have slow movers filtered out, what the terrain was behind you (its possible to be masked by terrain while completely in the open)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

9 hours ago, KoN said:

and I'm very low in my Hind .

70m is pretty high for a helo (considering how high it’s RCS, how slow it moves and how low it CAN fly. You should be at tree-top or below. So maybe 10-20 meters.

in the end, the radar can see you unless there is a hill between you and it….70m or not.

DCS does not model the curvature of the earth so there is no horizon 

7 hours ago, ngreenaway said:

Really depends on the sam system , and in the one i worked with: how its configured , whether the operators have slow movers filtered out, what the terrain was behind you (its possible to be masked by terrain while completely in the open)

Unfortunately though, DCS basically models none of it, the only limitations (or even parameters) the RADARs of SAMs have is the following:

• Detection distance in both upper and lower hemispheres (presumably look-up/look-down)
  • Minimum radial velocity of the target
  • Update rate

That's it - it's very simplified.

7 hours ago, Mikeck said:

DCS does not model the curvature of the earth so there is no horizon 

It does use a workaround to approximate realistic LOS on a curved Earth, but I'm not sure how well it works.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

17 hours ago, Northstar98 said:

Unfortunately though, DCS basically models none of it, the only limitations (or even parameters) the RADARs of SAMs have is the following:

• Detection distance in both upper and lower hemispheres (presumably look-up/look-down)
  • Minimum radial velocity of the target
  • Update rate

That's it - it's very simplified.

its true, in many  ways the systems dont work as in real life, but i pretty much expect that. theres a lot of specialized info thats either not available, or doesnt make much sense outside of the air defense field. the amount of work needed to get them all right outstrips what we can reasonably expect them to spend on a lower priority such as this .

"reasonably well" should be good enough

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

8 hours ago, ngreenaway said:

its true, in many  ways the systems dont work as in real life, but i pretty much expect that. theres a lot of specialized info thats either not available, or doesnt make much sense outside of the air defense field. the amount of work needed to get them all right outstrips what we can reasonably expect them to spend on a lower priority such as this .

"reasonably well" should be good enough

True, it's just when you get into the fact that DCS doesn't account for things like whether a RADAR is 2D or 3D, pulse, pulse with MTI or pulse-doppler etc.

Let alone approximating sidelobes or other properties of the beam.

System: