Slewing the AGM-65F when locked with ARFLIR

84-Simba

Hi guys !

I've had problems recently of fine tuning the lock of the AGM65F (IR Mav) when I have a locked with the ARTFLIR.

I cannot slew the Mav seeker.

I have to unlock the POD to slew the Mav.

If the POD is on point track or scene, (un)caging the Mav does not allow me to slew the seeker.

So basically I have to lose my focus on the POD to move the seeker.

I find this extremely difficult in terms of workflow.

Is that something correct regarding the real aircraft or is it something like a bug or WIP ?

Thx

2 hours ago, RoxSy said:

So basically I have to lose my focus on the POD to move the seeker.

As a workaround create a markpoint prior undesignate to re-focus quickly to the target location. But this doesn't make sense with moving targets, of course.

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC
[Maps] PG, NTTR, Normandy, Sinai, Syria, TC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
[Checklists] A-10C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H

The overall idea that you use a TPOD to designate a target and then can automatically snap Maverick seeker to it is good. Unfortunately in my case Mav seeker does not always lock to the target tracked by TPOD or looses the track (moving targets). Pressing cage/uncage button should fix it, but from my experience when I cage/uncage the seeker it usually locks to the position where the target was when I (point) marked it with TPOD (even if it's still being tracked with it). I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or this doesn't work as it should yet.

But I agree that it would be handy to be able to make some tweaks and adjustments with Maverick seeker after it slews to TPOD tracking target. Of course if in RL such option is possible.

Mark points is indeed a work-around but with moving targets it is still a PITA.

I think I found a flow :

- find my target with the POD,

- start a slight dive engines in idle,

- SSS left to Mav to uncage and hand-off the Mav seeker,

- SSS right go back to the POD and switch VVSL (2 quick push on Target Unlock)

- SSS left to go to the Mav again and fine tune with the TDC (I use the realistic)

You'd better start from 10nm at least to give you time to fine tune.

I've been launching Mavs almost point blank a couple of times but it kinda works.

That's a hell of a terrible workflow just by not being able to slew the Mav seeker when the POD is locked.

The cage/uncage repetition works a little when the target is static and in the open.

But as soon as there are a couple of heat signatures in proximity or the targets are moving, you're screwed. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure if this is set as intended so ED would be good to chime in here, but it USED to work that once soi on mav you could undesignated and slew right away the mav... now it seems stuck to target. Even when I soi back to flir and undesignated it refuses, i see the VVSL blink on then off right away and it won't unlock... very bizarre behaviour. 

• Like 2

I tried using MAVF only with A/G radar in GMT mode and it worked nicely. Cage/uncage works perfectly in this case. The seeker locks on the radar tracked target (when in range of course). Still it's not possible to slew the MAVF seeker in this situation as well. But for moving targets using MAVF with radar in GMT mode may be a better solution.

22 hours ago, Jascha said:

I tried using MAVF only with A/G radar in GMT mode and it worked nicely. Cage/uncage works perfectly in this case. The seeker locks on the radar tracked target (when in range of course). Still it's not possible to slew the MAVF seeker in this situation as well. But for moving targets using MAVF with radar in GMT mode may be a better solution.

It depends if 

1- you can actually pickup moving targets in the open (try it in canyons or forest, it's way harder)

2- the Mav actually targets the very vehicule you want to shack if they are in a convoy,

3- there aren't any other heat signatures in close vincinity ...

All in all, if the Mav isn't picking up the good target you're scr*wed.

Yeah I reported it in the bug section after talking with other Hornet drivers that are experiencing the same problem.

If you guys want to take some flying to time to provide a track then feel free.

I won't spend 2 hours to imagine something with a GoPro to film my hands and my screen when it takes literally 5 minutes to put a target on a map, hop in a Hornet and verify that the Mav isn't slewing when it's been handed off from another sensor.

I think that ''cannot reproduce / need track'' has been a very popular answer from ED lately and I find it very unpleasant.

I kindly report bugs (if it is one in the first place) as a good willing customer.

I'm not a paid Beta Tester.

(Sorry dor the rant, it's been a long day)

Happy hunting everyone !

What bugs me most with IR Mavs here is inability to designate the target for the Hornet's MC with other sensors following the designation. If you only have MavF's loaded with no Tpod and have to attack multiple targets in the same area, designating the first target with the first Mav's seeker should keep the designation for the second missile to uncage onto, after the first one has been fired. The second missile would already be looking at the target area and would only take a quick slew to get it to the second target. Currently, the second missile is bore sighted after the first one is fired. Lots of wasted time to get the seeker back onto the area. I don't think it works like this in RW. 

13 hours ago, RoxSy said:

If you guys want to take some flying to time to provide a track then feel free.

I won't spend 2 hours to imagine something with a GoPro to film my hands and my screen when it takes literally 5 minutes to put a target on a map, hop in a Hornet and verify that the Mav isn't slewing when it's been handed off from another sensor.

What are you talking about a GoPro? If you can reliably reproduce the issue, why don't you create the requested track yourself? Do what you said: take those 5 minutes to put a target on a map, hop in a Hornet and verify that the Mav isn't slewing when it's been handed off from another sensor. Finish mission -> save track -> upload track to your bug report -> done.

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

Hmmm I did not realize that track replays would include switch presses and other stuff. I was thinking I needed to show my hands to check on my procedure.

That said I don't understand how it could work at ED's since it is widespread that is not working.

I have little to none free time for enjoying DCS.

They want a short track meaning I cannot just save my next mission (generally 1+ hour) and won't have anytime in the next couple of weeks.

If someone can do it, feel free ...

But you said it takes all of 5 minutes: put a target on a map, hop in a Hornet and verify that the Mav isn't slewing when it's been handed off from another sensor.

Where's that 1+ hour coming from?

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

Track here

Окурок, выброшенный в урну, гораздо патриотичнее флажочка на автомобиле

TM Wartrhog Stick + VPC MongoosT-50Base + VPC TMW Extension 150mm / TM Wartrhog Throttle / CH Pro Pedals / 2-VPC Deck Mount / TrackIR5/

i5-10600K Over to 5.0MHz/32GbDD4-3200/RTX4070/System-SSD1 DCS-SSD2/32" 2560x1440

6 hours ago, doomie said:

Untick 'realistic TDC slew' within one of the menus.

Some controllers (Do you have a virpil throttle?) cannot process both the button depress & direction (U,D,L,R) concurrently.

You lose 'realism', but gain functionality.

My controller (TM WARTHOG Throttle) can process both the button depress & direction (U,D,L,R) concurrently !
Discussion here, in bugs

Edited by SMN

Окурок, выброшенный в урну, гораздо патриотичнее флажочка на автомобиле

TM Wartrhog Stick + VPC MongoosT-50Base + VPC TMW Extension 150mm / TM Wartrhog Throttle / CH Pro Pedals / 2-VPC Deck Mount / TrackIR5/

i5-10600K Over to 5.0MHz/32GbDD4-3200/RTX4070/System-SSD1 DCS-SSD2/32" 2560x1440