HARM Lofting Modes

dresoccer4

I'm following the steps in chuck's guide for both a/c loft and hrm loft mode. but in both cases after the harm is away it just goes straight forward and usually into the side of a mountain (since you launch these very low to the ground). 

in the guide video, after launching, the HARM's go into a steep climb in order to max their distance. but when i launch they dont loft, just go straight. has this happened to anyone else?

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

12 hours ago, dresoccer4 said:

I'm following the steps in chuck's guide for both a/c loft and hrm loft mode. but in both cases after the harm is away it just goes straight forward and usually into the side of a mountain (since you launch these very low to the ground). 

in the guide video, after launching, the HARM's go into a steep climb in order to max their distance. but when i launch they dont loft, just go straight. has this happened to anyone else?

As I understand it, the “decision” to loft or not is made by the missile on a preplanned launch, depending on what it calculates is necessary. IE, a missile launched in close and low would only expend energy (and time) lofting that are likely unnecessary. 

What distance and altitude are you launching from?

On 8/28/2021 at 8:11 AM, Brass2-1 said:

As I understand it, the “decision” to loft or not is made by the missile on a preplanned launch, depending on what it calculates is necessary. IE, a missile launched in close and low would only expend energy (and time) lofting that are likely unnecessary. 

What distance and altitude are you launching from?

i'm about 19nm from target. i've attached the mission file i threw together to practice it. i believe the LOFT mode should enable

Syria AA Practice.miz

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

ok i think i may have gotten it to work. still experimenting. 

i started the mission further away from the SAM sites and flew towards them for a bit. now when i try and launch with the HRM launch mode, i hold the release button down and slowly pull up until the missle fires, then the missile begin and nice long arc up into the sky. 

The trouble with PB mode is that the SAM would need to have its radar on in order for the HARM to find it. I’m not sure why the SAM would do that if you’re 40-50 miles away. It would have to be engaging another aircraft right at the moment your missile arrives. 

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

3 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

The trouble with PB mode is that the SAM would need to have its radar on in order for the HARM to find it. I’m not sure why the SAM would do that if you’re 40-50 miles away. It would have to be engaging another aircraft right at the moment your missile arrives. 

how do SAMs know when to turn on their search radars without a radar to see if it needs to turn on? The SA-2 and SA-3's PB-19 seem to be truckin away pretty often in the sim 

2 hours ago, dresoccer4 said:

how do SAMs know when to turn on their search radars without a radar to see if it needs to turn on? The SA-2 and SA-3's PB-19 seem to be truckin away pretty often in the sim 

I suppose they would be alerted by a longer range search radar. Keeping their own radars on constantly would just make them targets. 

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Does anyone know if DCS models the radar elevation limits of the SAM systems it depicts? AFAIK certain PGMs (perhaps HARM) ought to be able to enhance the likelihood of penetrating SAM defences by high diving on the emitter from above their sensor coverage.

On 8/30/2021 at 8:22 AM, dresoccer4 said:

I recalled that the Russian air defense system have some datalink, so any SAM site on the datalink chain can monitor a contact without activate its own radar, once the contact is within its firing range, it will activate its radar and shoot the missile quickly. 

• PC Specs: Intel i7 9700, Nvidia RTX 2080S, Corsair 64G DDR4, MSI B360M Mortar Titanium, Intel 760P M.2 256GB SSD + Samsung 1TB SSD, Corsair RM650x
  • Flight Gears: Logitech X56 HOTAS & Flight Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2
  • Modules: F-14A/B, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AV-8B, A-10C I/II, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

Project: Operation Hormuz [F/A-18C Multiplayer Campaign]