Head in cockpit with VR

StankFaust

Hello,

I am new to the game and the site and have an older rift headset that I am using with the game.  

The first thing I noticed is that there is no cockpit limit to head movement.  Meaning I can stick my head outside the glass.  The sound gets louder and everything. If I stand up, Im literally standing in the cockpit. It's cool and stuff, but not realisitic.

Is there a way to restrict or limit head movement in game so that it doesnt push past the 3d modeling of the aircraft' cockpit?  my head will even go through the seat bakck behind me when looking around. 

it's an effect that breaks the immersion

thanks for the help and sorry if this has been covered before.

• Like 1

A virtual boundary wil break the immersion even more than the possibility to stick your head outside the cockpit.
You can limit your head movement physically by limiting your movement like the glass of the cockpit would do but this will involve some DIY.

• Like 1

The team is looking into it.

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | Asus TUFF nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Dark Hero | 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 RAM | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Virpil MT-50 CM2 Throttle | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD base |  Virpil Ace 1 Rudder Pedals | Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant (x2) |Acer x34 P 3440 x 1440 | Valve Index VR | DCS on NVME

There is a very easy way to limit your head movement to the cockpit.

Just don't move it outside of it. I don't know about others, but I would have to make a real concerted effort to stick my head  outside the cockpit.

So I never find myself - with my head outside the cockpit.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Same here Don, it takes a lot of movement but I do like popping the F18 hornet canopy off when dogfighting sometimes and the sounds when merging and the other  jet sounds are really cool.

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

I've said it many times, but for me this is a non-issue.  I just treat it like I'm in a real cockpit, where I can honestly say I've never had the desire to press my head against a canopy or window in flight.  It hurts and leaves a smudge.  🤪

• Like 1

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

if you are moving and then the 3D view stops because it reaches the hard canopy, it´s motion sickness big time. That´s why it´s not an easy solution.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Typically the people that want this for VR players are Track IR users that have insta-snap views to check six.

:doh:

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

11 minutes ago, dburne said:

Typically the people that want this for VR players are Track IR users that have insta-snap views to check six.

:doh:

Yes. And they seem to have organized themselves into a roving band of Karens intent on spoiling DCS for VR. 

Edited by =475FG= Dawger

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

Cockpit limitations really makes no sense to me. Realistically are they gonna make a stopping point and a knock sound ? I’d say move on to bigger and better things. It’s good as is.

Edited by Burt

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

I have about 1000 hours in DCS VR and haven't managed to stick my head outside the cockpit by accident once.

DCS in VR still has several issues that need fixing but I don't think this is one of them...

• Thanks 1

System: 7800X3D / Asus RTX 4090 OC / 64GB 3600mhz / Pimax Crystal / VKB GF3 Ultimate

I don't know what aircraft you guys are flying or where you calibrate your head to be at in VR. I try to line up my head and shoulders with the VR pilot. Many of the aircraft I fly have canopies that are close to the pilot's head. If you move your head much at all, you go through the glass. The aircraft that are the worst for this are the ones that look like they have bubble canopies, but between the seat and the small canopy, there isn't much room to look behind you. I don't use any kind of check 6 cheats. I physically strain to look over my shoulder from one side to the other while scissoring to shake an opponent. I sit in a mock up of an F-4 ejection seat. The most annoying aspect of going through the glass is the sound.

I fly other air combat sims, and in those sims I cannot go through the glass and I don't get motion sickness. So, my suggestion is for DCS to implement optional constraints similar to competitor's sims. Key word optional: if you don't like it don't use it. I prefer head constraints. Most TrackIR games had head constraints. You could only move you head so much no matter how far you physically moved your head. You could not use TrackIR to stick your head through the glass to look behind you. Right now, the MiG-15 essentially has as good a visibility out o f its cockpit as the F-86 in VR, because there is nothing keeping you from turning around and looking straight back even though the real cockpit didn't have the room to do this. For the sake of fairness/realism in multiplayer it would be worth it to limit head movement in VR. 

Edited by streakeagle

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

And when they eventually do come around to imposing limits your probably not going to be able to see the extremes on your side panels no more, nor much of the hidden switches either.  Say goodbye to easy engine starts, or relatively pain free emergency procedures in some of the jets.  In the C-101 the pedals adjustment is nearly impossible as it is, and you can't advance some of the missions without adjusting them.

F-10 is your friend, place your head where you think it physically should be, press it, than relax and return your body to your standard comfortable position, hit the recenter VR command, done.  If your on a wheeled chair that swivels, even with limits your still going to suffer issues, this won't be the fix you think its going to be.

18 hours ago, =475FG= Dawger said:

Yes. And they seem to have organized themselves into a roving band of Karens intent on spoiling DCS for VR. 

I hear there's a new squad looking for members. The "Roving Karens".

Karen it's not a name. It's a rank you earn...

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook current version 8D available here:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/172905/

I use VRNECKSAFER so I don't have that issue.  You can make it as much or as little help as you want, but its the only way to play VR IMO, especially with the lack of FOV and peripheral vision compared to normal eyesight.   

But I have stuck my head out of the cockpit on accident leaning too far, so I just...don't do that...

MSI X790 Carbon Wifi, 13900K, MSI 4090 Suprim X, 64gb DDR5 6400CL30, HP Reverb G2, VKB NXT Evo, VKB STECS Max, Thrustmaster rudder pedals

On 8/25/2021 at 5:02 PM, dburne said:

I would have to make a real concerted effort to stick my head  outside the cockpit

Very easy, just flew last night in Su-25 and looked at the ground target passing by. It's natural.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

Very smart - can we now remove performance hogging collision models from trees, buildings, mountains and any ground other than runway or a boat since real pilots should not touch them?

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

Very smart - can we now remove performance hogging collision models from trees, buildings, mountains and any ground other than runway or a boat since real pilots should not touch them?

Completely different issue.
In my game I hit trees sometimes. You don't?
Even though I try not to bank 90° when I can touch something. You do?

This is a tricky problem… Yes, moving your head outside the virtual canopy is unrealistic. Stopping the virtual head without stopping the physical head feels unrealistic. I did not like that feature in that other sim..! Thankfully they allowed the user to turn it off.

I actually use a harness in my simulator seat. That adds to the immersion and restricts your movement some, making it harder to put your head through the canopy.

Maybe if ED added virtual limits that are slightly generous, so you can move just outside the canopy, but not too far. That way nobody could cheat and we who try to stop by ourselves won’t feel restricted.