Taliban take control of Air Force

Xilon_x

They now might have access to some US made aircraft, but they can't really operate or maintain them.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

1 hour ago, QuiGon said:

They now might have access to some US made aircraft, but they can't really operate or maintain them.

Unless there's a black-market, which there probably is.

Safe to say, they won't have all their aircraft airborne at the same time. But it will be enough to be scary to those that are supposed to be scared.

So ein Feuerball, JUNGE!

1 hour ago, Bremspropeller said:

Safe to say, they won't have all their aircraft airborne at the same time. But it will be enough to be scary to those that are supposed to be scared.

Could also be a propaganda edge to things - Terry Taliban could rally public opinion to their cause if a supposedly "US" crewed aircraft strafed a market or something :cry:

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

if the Taliban are supported by some other state X ...? and they manage to get hold of biological or chemical weapons at low cost, using their planes to disseminate the country of VIRUSES or CHEMICAL ELEMENTS will be very easy.

1 hour ago, Xilon_x said:

using their planes to disseminate the country of VIRUSES or CHEMICAL ELEMENTS will be very easy. . . . . . .

Whaaaat??????????? :dontgetit:

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

4 hours ago, Xilon_x said:

if the Taliban are supported by some other state X ...? and they manage to get hold of biological or chemical weapons at low cost, using their planes to disseminate the country of VIRUSES or CHEMICAL ELEMENTS will be very easy.

Seems a little like hysteria to me.

If they have the backing of some mysterious 3rd party Govt, you don't think it would be simpler to just use a fake passport to hire a plane in the country that you're targeting than to try to fly a military aircraft out of Afghanistan and to another country ?

Or use a truck and an agricultural mister

Or any number of other methods that are easier and less likely to be stopped ?

Cheers.

"Taliban with a plane....OMG...

Same as a monkey with two guns... thanks to God, they  can`t wear a fly helmet over their fancy "hats"

So what are you saying ?

That they can't run an air force because they're Muslims and have to cover their heads ?

How does that work for observant Jews in the Israeli air force ?

Unfortunately, as far as I can see, religious beliefs (of any faith, creed or denomination) and intelligence seem to have very little correlation.

Some very clever people think the earth was formed in 7 days, some very stupid people think there is nothing more important than themselves.

I'm sure there are as many people in the Taliban (& their supporters) capable of maintaining and operating those aircraft as there are in any other country in similar circumstances.

Which given the history of Afghanistan over the last 20 years and it's level of impoverishment, will be a small but non-zero number.

The US has said it will have no boots on the ground, but that it will still be 'securing its interests' in the region from the air.

I'd imagine that once we have everyone out of the country that we want out of the country, flying those aircraft - even for training purposes inside Afghanistan (or probably even standing by them on the tarmac) will become quite a dangerous pastime.

Edited by Weta43

Cheers.

11 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

They could do that with the russian made helos, but I very much doubt that this will work with the US ones.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Best (or worst in western eyes) they can do with the aircraft as far as I can tell is sell them on. Maybe even to Russia and/or China if there are any novel avionics systems in the aircraft they might be interested in studying.

Don't think we need to fear them using them, at least not very effectively.

Edited by Hummingbird

hace 15 horas, Weta43 dijo:

So what are you saying ?

That they can't run an air force because they're Muslims and have to cover their heads ?

How does that work for observant Jews in the Israeli air force ?

Unfortunately, as far as I can see, religious beliefs (of any faith, creed or denomination) and intelligence seem to have very little correlation.

Some very clever people think the earth was formed in 7 days, some very stupid people think there is nothing more important than themselves.

I'm sure there are as many people in the Taliban (& their supporters) capable of maintaining and operating those aircraft as there are in any other country in similar circumstances.

Which given the history of Afghanistan over the last 20 years and it's level of impoverishment, will be a small but non-zero number.

The US has said it will have no boots on the ground, but that it will still be 'securing its interests' in the region from the air.

I'd imagine that once we have everyone out of the country that we want out of the country, flying those aircraft - even for training purposes inside Afghanistan (or probably even standing by them on the tarmac) will become quite a dangerous pastime.

i think the main thing with the aircraft will be learning how to fly them as well as mantain them more then anything, also parts availabilty, iran still runs f14s to my knowledge but parts are so scares i believe they've modified them to keep them going. i had this thought with the humvees and mraps left behind, its all well and good running them but how would they get parts to repair them? its why pick up trucks are so common, cheaper and easier to obtain.