"Cool" setting aim9's , doesn't stick. Should it ?

DCSoping

21 hours ago, DCSoping said:

When i go into dogfight mode, and turn my aim9's to 'cool' and switch between modes it reverts back to 'warm' . 

Is that supposed to happen ? 

I read somewhere on the forum, pls don't ask me where, this is what happens in DCS.  What I don't know is whether this is the case IRL.  So +1... 

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
=============================
Intel Core i7 5930K 3.5GHz (Six-Core OC to 4.4Ghz), 32Gb RAM// Radeon RX Vega // SSD only // Saitek X65F Throttle / TM Warthog FCS / Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals / Physical Cockpit // TrackIR // Win10Pro 64bit //

I am just guessing here. But if you get ready for a dogfight activate the Aim9 but decide to bug out instead of fighting and the Aim 9 would be still cooled for nothing while running out of cooling liquid, that would not be good if you happen to find yourself in a dogfight again later in that sortie.

You can always set AIM-9Ms to COOL or WARM at any time manually and it will stay that way forever until manually turned off. The only time that AIM-9M changes automatically from WARM to COOL is under specific conditions (master armed, when switching to dogfight and it looks like missile override too). It's a sort of safety in case you get in a dogfight without remembering to prepare the missile beforehand.

Right now you can't change between COOL and WARM manually unless the master arm switch is ARM. This is wrong. The behavior of the COOL/WARM switch is almost exactly (not auto cool in MO) correct when master arm switch is ARM. In OFF or SIMULATE you should be able to set WARM/COOL freely and the automatic COOL doesn't apply.

Edited by Frederf
  • Like 1

It certainly doesn't stay cool forever for me. I've been in numerous situations when I set sidewinders to cool beforehand, then when I cycled modes/weapons a few times it was set to warm. Basically every time when I switched weapons to aim9s I had to check that they were cool, no matter how many times I did that before

Edited by Mivina
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

No one is simming the duration of the argon gas cooling for 9L/Ms to their real world limits.  Around 30 ish minutes max.  Depends on pressure in the bottle.  I think (guessing) that the DCS community wouldn't understand and probably set the forums on fire for their AIM-9s not working lol.

• Thanks 1

"It's amazing, even at the Formula 1 level how many drivers still think the brakes are for slowing the car down."

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group 1 | Discord

4 hours ago, Scrape said:

No one is simming the duration of the argon gas cooling for 9L/Ms to their real world limits.  Around 30 ish minutes max.  Depends on pressure in the bottle.  I think (guessing) that the DCS community wouldn't understand and probably set the forums on fire for their AIM-9s not working lol.

i'd want to politely disagree. i think those that would potentially complain are not those that keep their aircraft alive for more than 30min, not because they were necessarily bad at the game, but because i'd assume that those were the players that play mostly PvP and other fast paced game modes.

i'm pretty sure that every player that flies longer missions (singleplayer, coop etc.) will approve the added realism of simulated cooling and lack thereof.

• Like 3

My personal wishlist after half a decade with DCS: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=216873

8 hours ago, Scrape said:

I absolutely hope that aspect is simulated as it is in non DCS sims and DCS simulates similar things like Maverick heat, MiG21 coolant.

Anyway this topic is about the SMS setting and not the physical coolant.