DCS F16 turn performance

Yeti42
Go to solution Solved by NineLine,

8 hours ago, karasawa said:

I really don't find any reason why a F-16C with 2 amraams and 2 sidewinders has lower STR than a similarly loaded 402 powered hornet.

IRL it isn't lower, it is similar.  As an aero engineer I could tell you why.  Drag.  The Hornet as a straighter and higher aspect ratio wing, the first will steepen the CL/AoA curve so more lift is made at lower AoA and the second will reduce any drag produced per unit lift.  This hornet has a notional 35,000lb thrust.  20% more than the Viper.  The Hornet has more features to reduce induced drag than the Viper, and the Viper has more features to reduce wave drag than the Hornet.

• Thanks 3

Well I dont want to sound rude here, but it wont be one of the few first times ED has fallen out of schedule. I consider consistency very important as a client. Nevertheless if they want to run on a loose schedule they should try to avoid public  announcement of timelines to prevent dissapointment.

• Like 2

Obsessed with FM's

2 hours ago, fapador said:

Well I dont want to sound rude here, but it wont be one of the few first times ED has fallen out of schedule. I consider consistency very important as a client. Nevertheless if they want to run on a loose schedule they should try to avoid public  announcement of timelines to prevent dissapointment.

and then people will complain that they're saying nothing.

Now I don't know about you, but personally I prefer a rough timeline over no word at all. At least we know it's close.

• Like 2

There is no way to prevent dissapointment.  Some customers want the "best guess" and some was "exact date or nothing".  They can't do both.  And it has nothing to do with "loose schedule", it is simply the nature of complex software.  You can force a release date, only to introduce more bugs than you fixed, or you can accept that release might be delayed if the issue became more complex than you initially planned.

• Like 2

The last statement was "we hope for autumn" so I am happy if it comes before the Apache is released. 

Fingers crossed that we see one or two major Viper update(s) before christmas.

The development won't get any faster regardless of how often we talk about the flaws in the forum. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • ED Team
1 minute ago, fapador said:

@BIGNEWY Can we expect FM update Tommorow?

Hi please have a read here, Wags explains the flight model tweaks that need to be made and are planned for the Autumn. 

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I dont understand why people keep asking. People at ED work on it, they know about it and they wont release anything until it is done and rock solid. If someone finds new errors again this endless discusion will start all over again. Nobody here wants that and nobody at ED wants that for sure either.

The most important question is if the Viper pilot also gets an updated G behavior. Because if not, a more accurate FM will also help to make the pilot blackout earlier.

Edited by darkman222
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, darkman222 said:

I dont understand why people keep asking. People at ED work on it, they know about it and they wont release anything until it is done and rock solid. If someone finds new errors again this endless discusion will start all over again. Nobody wants that and nobody at ED wants that for sure either.

The most important question is if the Viper pilot also gets an updated G behavior. Because if not, a more accurate FM will also help to make the pilot blackout earlier.

Totally agree. The entire G modeling in DCS needs to be tweaked, black out instantly at 9G is just ridiculous. Also modeling the inclined seat effect, which gives Viper pilots better G tolerance than pilots flying other jets. 

• Like 4

• ED Team

If you dont warm up for pulling G you are not going to be able to sustain it long, the black out is not instantaneous however. 

Please dont derail the thread with G discussion keep it about the flight model.

thank you 

• Like 1

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

8 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

If you dont warm up for pulling G you are not going to be able to sustain it long, the black out is not instantaneous however. 

Please dont derail the thread with G discussion keep it about the flight model.

thank you 

Does this also include a look at the FLCS?  As it just feels like there is something off, I can't quantify it but something doesn't seem right with it.

There's a real risk of this just being confirmation of my expectations, so at the risk of public internet embarrassment if my mind is playing tricks, I'm going to go out on a limb and say I think the FM changes this patch are really amazing.

I seem to have more G available at higher speeds and medium altitude. Pre-patch at ~10,000 ft I'd be in the 3.5-6.0 G range to sustain airspeed, and now post-patch I'm more like 5.0-7.5 G give or take. Rate fights seem easier.

It seems much smoother at lower speeds as well. For example if the hostile reverses the turn and I pull as hard as possible around 350 knots to switch to a 1C fight, there used to be way more shaking and buffeting. Now the F-16 seems really compliant. It just slots itself right where I want it to go.

So it seems like a more competent dogfighter compared to before. What does everyone else think?

• Like 1

Its better in the air but worse in landing. I cant seem to keep my nose up at 15 degrees AOA flare below 130 knots . Before I could keep it till 95 . Can anyone else

confirm?

PS: now when I touch down the aircraft wants to more violently  pitch down towards the front gear or it might be just me I am not to sure 

Edited by fapador

Obsessed with FM's

Hopped on a dogfight server and did some ACM and BFM. Against the hornet I had no chance. He was laughing while we were in a perpetual rate war and I could never get my nose on him. Even going vertical I had no chance. Just halfway pulling the stick still bleeds too much energy. I lost every match. 

Jumping into an JF-17 instead evened the odds.

On a different session, fighting with 4 amraams and 2 9x at 13k ft felt like turning like an airliner again. Is the store drag accurate?

• Like 3

• ED Team

1 hour ago, feipan said:

Hopped on a dogfight server and did some ACM and BFM. Against the hornet I had no chance. He was laughing while we were in a perpetual rate war and I could never get my nose on him. Even going vertical I had no chance. Just halfway pulling the stick still bleeds too much energy. I lost every match. 

Jumping into an JF-17 instead evened the odds.

On a different session, fighting with 4 amraams and 2 9x at 13k ft felt like turning like an airliner again. Is the store drag accurate?

by all means add your evidence in the form of a track replay we are happy to take a look. 

• Like 1

I'll have a look later, should easily be able to notice a difference if there is any. It was mainly at low speeds that STR suffered previously, and a bit at high speeds. 

Lack of ITR and G-onset was a bigger issue, and that aint fixed yet, but is planned based on the changelog. 

Edited by Hummingbird
  • Like 1