growling sidewinder pvp question

Viciam1

Hi guys,

Quick question...why does my radar lock in the f16 keep droppping enermy targets? I use RWS mode SAM.

Its so annoying and frustrating...the amount of missiles that I waste or take the time to get into advantagous positions only for radar to keep dropping.

Am I doing something wrong?

Edited by Viciam1

If a contact turns to the notch (as it should if you’ve shot at it) then that’s correct that the radar drops lock. Fighter radars use Doppler to reject slow moving contacts. 

so the defence for being shot at is to notch and descend to break the lock. Add countermeasures and it works even better 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Most people on that server just cruise wide open at 40k’ and start slinging 120s at 40 miles out then dive to the deck and run home. Its a tired ass strategy but thats about all you get on there. I find it much more fun sneaking around the mountains and engaging people inside 10 miles. It can get pretty exciting down in the valleys. You get a better feel for what people are doing and why you drop lock like people ducking behind mountains. At high altitude its hard to tell why you lost lock at 20 miles out. 

• Like 1

Try TMS right long to switch to TWS tracking after you have achieved SAM lock. TWS is much more stable compare to SAM at the moment. Also SAM symbology is WIP according to ED, it's kind of confusing now. 

Don't use TWS in the beginning to find your target tho, it's slower than RWS in terms of finding the target. 

SAM, AFAIK, does not auto center elevation as the target manuevers, and if you move the elevation manually it will not stop you from breaking lock

1 hour ago, slowfinger23 said:

Try click CNLT page in FCR , select Low MTR, to search in Low PRF ...  Don't know if this option is working as should be, you can test it.. Good Luck.

LOW MTR has nothing to do with LPRF even if it were modeled, thats referring to the notch filter (MTR = Moving Target Reject)

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

29 minutes ago, SCPanda said:

Don't use TWS in the beginning to find your target tho, it's slower than RWS in terms of finding the target. 

It’s not a case of “finding” the target slower in TWS, but the fact that you’re asking the FCR to Track While Scan. The computer has to build a track file and needs to see the tgt twice within 6.2 seconds to start tracking and build a file. TWS is still affected by notching same as RWS. It’s how the FCR processes and filters out low Doppler returns. 

RWS on the other hand is showing you “raw” returns on the FCR page (by raw I mean still has processing carried out). 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

6 hours ago, Florence201 said:

It’s not a case of “finding” the target slower in TWS, but the fact that you’re asking the FCR to Track While Scan. The computer has to build a track file and needs to see the tgt twice within 6.2 seconds to start tracking and build a file. TWS is still affected by notching same as RWS. It’s how the FCR processes and filters out low Doppler returns. 

RWS on the other hand is showing you “raw” returns on the FCR page (by raw I mean still has processing carried out). 

Yeah I know all you said... "Finding" is a easier explanation for OP to understand. IDK why you are ASSUMING OP dropped lock bc of target notching tho. He didn't mention the target maneuvering in his post. 

The current fact is SAM is WIP and it's kind of buggy, and ED hasn't fixed the bug with SAM that radar scale sometimes will automatically cut by half and thus drops the lock for no reason. TWS is simply much more stable to use for now. And TWS will automatically change the radar scale for you, it's simply a better radar mode to use in PvP scenarios. 

Oh btw, SAM also doesn't automatically change the radar elevation for you now, but TWS does, which is another helpful factor in BVR when target or you are changing altitude drastically. Like what dundun92 said:

6 hours ago, dundun92 said:

SAM, AFAIK, does not auto center elevation as the target manuevers, and if you move the elevation manually it will not stop you from breaking lock

So the solution to OP's problem is simply use TWS instead of SAM to hold the lock until missile pitbull. SAM is garbage in the current build. 

Edited by SCPanda

On 8/23/2021 at 10:59 AM, SCPanda said:

Yeah I know all you said... "Finding" is a easier explanation for OP to understand. IDK why you are ASSUMING OP dropped lock bc of target notching tho. He didn't mention the target maneuvering in his post. 

The current fact is SAM is WIP and it's kind of buggy, and ED hasn't fixed the bug with SAM that radar scale sometimes will automatically cut by half and thus drops the lock for no reason. TWS is simply much more stable to use for now. And TWS will automatically change the radar scale for you, it's simply a better radar mode to use in PvP scenarios. 

Oh btw, SAM also doesn't automatically change the radar elevation for you now, but TWS does, which is another helpful factor in BVR when target or you are changing altitude drastically. Like what dundun92 said:

So the solution to OP's problem is simply use TWS instead of SAM to hold the lock until missile pitbull. SAM is garbage in the current build. 

Thx a lot guys, that saved me a lot of time.