Combined Arms appreciation thread

I haven't opened DCS in more than a month now because of travel, but the break has allowed me to catch up on some of the DCS YouTube videos I've missed. More importantly, it has helped reaffirm my belief in the amazing potential and huge value that Combined Arms represents. As just a single example from the ever growing list of reasons why CA is that "MUST HAVE" download, the linked video of the Arleigh Burke class Destroyer does a good job at showing off the benefits of CA and what it brings to the "Digital Combat Simulator" table. I had also recently asked if ships were controllable in CA, and the answer is yes they are! 

The video gives a pretty good review of the systems modeled in DCS for this class of Destroyer, but anyone interested in just the action and how to control a ship in CA will want to start at about 1:03:00 in the timeline.

While the list of what needs to be added/updated/fixed in terms of ground/naval assets/capabilities is long to say the least, I thought a "Thanks" to ED for all the hard work it has already done on CA was in order.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The ships are incredible. They fully defend themselves as well as lob Tomahawk missles wherever you direct them.

IF anyone has not yet created a red/blue Naval battle group and had them go at each other from 50nm away, while cruising toward each other, I would highly recommend it.  There are 50+ missles in play and nary a single frame/second loss.   Pretty kickass damage model too onseveral of the ships.

Am I the only one that creates scenarios just to watch sometimes?

There's also a Chinese sub that dives, attacks, and defends itself. I think it's the 093.

I like CA a lot.  Most of the armored vehicles work quite well.

Edited by Rex
  • Like 2

DCS user since November 2019

Intel i9-9900K 8-Core 3.6-5Ghz (4.7Ghz Typical)| NZXT Kraken x72 | Nvidia 2080Ti 11GB @ 2.05Ghz | 64GB DDR4 @ 3200Mhz

ASUS Hero XI Wi-Fi | Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSD 1TB | Samsung 980 Pro 2TB  | WD 4TB spinner

Warthog HOTAS stick + throttle | Pendulum Pedals | 49" Samsung monitor & VR | Track IR + Oculus Rift S

7 hours ago, Rex said:

The ships are incredible. They fully defend themselves as well as lob Tomahawk missles wherever you direct them.

IF anyone has not yet created a red/blue Naval battle group and had them go at each other from 50nm away, while cruising toward each other, I would highly recommend it.  There are 50+ missles in play and nary a single frame/second loss.   Pretty kickass damage model too onseveral of the ships.

Am I the only one that creates scenarios just to watch sometimes?

There's also a Chinese sub that dives, attacks, and defends itself. I think it's the 093.

I like CA a lot.  Most of the armored vehicles work quite well.

Add a couple of carriers in there to put some jets (clients) in the mix is always fun too. When we have the assets/planes to do aerial sea battles WWII style, it will bring the action that much closer. Makes for some really great videos, but the game play can be almost as good as Multi-player if you build it right. 

Although I agree that CA has enormous potential and a lot of market value if done right for DCS, at least for ships, currently there are a lot of issues in regards to their controllability in CA.

They can work in an AI environment, where aircraft can spot them from hundreds of miles, but in a player vs player environment, they are borderline broken

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

• 2 weeks later...

Playing around with WWII Combined Arms to see the effects of the flak 88. The sound/flash when you fire a tank gun in Combined Arms is not too bad, but not so much so for the sound/blast of shells that land near you. At least this is what I thought until I saw the flak 88 in action!

Edited by Callsign112
  • Like 1

I would love to see a gun stabilization in the leopard 2 though. The real thing keeps the gun pointed at 60km per hour offroad while you can't fire when going 20 in DCS.

But apart from that it is pretty awesome. I mean there is no other sim out there combining helos, fixed wing and ground units into one.

Edited by TobiasA
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, TobiasA said:

I would love to see a gun stabilization in the leopard 2 though. The real thing keeps the gun pointed at 60km per hour offroad while you can't fire when going 20 in DCS.

But apart from that it is pretty awesome. I mean there is no other sim out there combining helos, fixed wing and ground units into one.

Agreed, the vehicles are still in a pretty rough/unfinished state in terms of what is modeled. Infantry... well you kinda just have to leave them out of the equation for now.

But in terms of game play, whether you are a single player or a large group, CA really does add significantly to the experience. For me, CA has improved my single player game play immensely, but I think it was really designed with larger groups (MP) in mind where its unique features are multiplied by the dynamics of player vs player matches.

There are many large groups of people running private servers who design their own missions. Anyone fitting this category that doesn't use CA is missing out on what is probably the single most effective tool for creating the most rewarding and intense missions in DCS World.

There are other SIMS/arcade games that try to combine air/land/sea game play, but not at DCS World level. That doesn't mean DCS is perfect, just that its developers seem to have the right outlook on how to do it IMO.

• Thanks 1

vor 16 Minuten schrieb Callsign112:

Agreed, the vehicles are still in a pretty rough/unfinished state in terms of what is modeled. Infantry... well you kinda just have to leave them out of the equation for now.

But in terms of game play, whether you are a single player or a large group, CA really does add significantly to the experience. For me, CA has improved my single player game play immensely, but I think it was really designed with larger groups (MP) in mind where its unique features are multiplied by the dynamics of player vs player matches.

There are many large groups of people running private servers who design their own missions. Anyone fitting this category that doesn't use CA is missing out on what is probably the single most effective tool for creating the most rewarding and intense missions in DCS World.

There are other SIMS/arcade games that try to combine air/land/sea game play, but not at DCS World level. That doesn't mean DCS is perfect, just that its developers seem to have the right outlook on how to do it IMO.

I have probably not yet really used CA. I'm almost only interested in jumping into vehicles like AD or probably doing JTAC some day.
The potential of CA is huge, and it has just begun.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2021 at 3:39 PM, TobiasA said:

Disable platform shake from the special options.

• Like 2

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

Very happy to have received the last update. While the recent additions to the WWII Assets pack keep adding to its value, they also really help add to the combined arms capabilities of DCS WWII. All four additions are very nicely detailed, including beautifully modeled effects.

The Wespe doesn't only go BOOM, its also a lot of fun to use.

What's missing to complete the new units are crews, above ground fortifications, and destructible ammo crates/supplies. It would be nice to be able to place ready-made fortifications (sandbags) that fit each of the field/AT guns, as well as ammunition supplies in the mission editor to complete each emplacement.

For the Wespe, and WWII tanks in general, the bino view you get with the "B" key should be replaced with an appropriate binocular view for WWII. For vehicles like the Wespe/Elephant, it would also be great if we had something that could assist more for ranging targets like scissors binoculars. At the moment, the commander is able to range find using a laser even though it is not accurate. 

It would also be nice if Combined Arms could be made a little more WWII friendly. Like for example, the JTAC feature is very cool and one of the modules best features, but it would be nice to see the feature also make it into WWII. Instead of a JTAC marking targets with a laser, Commanders in vehicles like the Wespe relied on forward observers using radio/phone lines. Could this functionality be added to the command menu for WWII?

Excellent update ED, thanks!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

As a DCS Combined Arms user, I know that Ai logic and path finding can be a real challenge at times, but I have also noticed that a lot of the problems I encounter are the result of me simply not knowing how to do something, or what to expect. Taking into consideration things like distance between way points and their direction have helped a lot in terms of getting Ai units to do/go what/where I want. Its also nice to know that we can make large formation battles consisting of numerous groups of vehicles, and the Ai logic assigned to each group stays intact even as the battle progresses and units get destroyed. 

I'm linking a couple of videos showing some of the things I've learned while exploring the CA feature set, and how I am able to improve my experience using it.