Strange Livery Issue

dresoccer4

back again but with a slightly different livery problem, hoping someone can help. I want to use this cool Canadian livery: RCAF F-86 Sabre Mk. 5 23314 (digitalcombatsimulator.com)

I install it at \Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Liveries\f-86f sabre, however when I open the sim it looks like this. What would cause a USAF logo to pop through with this livery?

1-canada.jpg

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

Seems to work OK here, although I admit I tend to put all custom liveries via OvGME in Bazar folder rather than Saved Games one (using capital "F-86F Sabre" sub-folder name by the way 😉 ).

And I added "USA" to description.lua to change the skin in cold-start instant mission faster. 

Screen_210819_213628.jpg

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

1 hour ago, Art-J said:

Seems to work OK here, although I admit I tend to put all custom liveries via OvGME in Bazar folder rather than Saved Games one (using capital "F-86F Sabre" sub-folder name by the way 😉 ).

And I added "USA" to description.lua to change the skin in cold-start instant mission faster. 

Screen_210819_213628.jpg

now i'm even more confused. Shouldn't the correct folder name be  f86-f sabre?

1-folder.jpg

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

It should and it is on my PC (above you put the "-" in the wrong place, though, a typo I suppose?). Upper case or lower case letters don't seem to make any difference, so you can name it either way. Just checked it, by installing the skin in the Saved Games location as you wanted to do it originally, once in f-86f Sabre folder and once in F-86F Sabre folder. The skin loaded correctly both times. Are you sure you're extracting it properly from the archive?

path.jpg

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

12 hours ago, Art-J said:

It should and it is on my PC (above you put the "-" in the wrong place, though, a typo I suppose?). Upper case or lower case letters don't seem to make any difference, so you can name it either way. Just checked it, by installing the skin in the Saved Games location as you wanted to do it originally, once in f-86f Sabre folder and once in F-86F Sabre folder. The skin loaded correctly both times. Are you sure you're extracting it properly from the archive?

path.jpg

this is good to know. i think it's installed in the right place, below are screenshots

1-folder1.jpg

1-folder2.jpg

3 hours ago, cromhunt said:

Bad "roughmet" file

open your folder and check out the two in there files you will see that schemes are not corresponding

what do you mean exactly?

Were you tinkering with the content of the downloaded zip apart from renaming the original folder? There are only 3 files in it - should be 11 total, although even with these three at least the airframe itself should be skinned allright.

Is that the actual description.lua file that came with the zip downloaded from ED repository you linked to in your first post? Your game seems to load default US skin roughmet file instead of "F-86F_DIF_Canada_Roughmet.dds" it should, which happens either when the correct roughmet file cannot be found in the same folder (but it's there, isn't it?), or when description.lua doesn't point to it for whatever reason.

Edited by Art-J

1 hour ago, Art-J said:

Were you tinkering with the content of the downloaded zip apart from renaming the original folder? There are only 3 files in it - should be 11 total, although even with these three at least the airframe itself should be skinned allright.

Is that the actual description.lua file that came with the zip downloaded from ED repository you linked to in your first post? Your game seems to load default US skin roughmet file instead of "F-86F_DIF_Canada_Roughmet.dds" it should, which happens either when the correct roughmet file cannot be found in the same folder (but it's there, isn't it?), or when description.lua doesn't point to it for whatever reason.

Those were the original files that came with the download, however the download must have gotten corrupted because there definitely weren't enough files in there! I downloaded again and this time it worked. thanks for help solving this mystery 🙂 

FWIW, my Sabre liveries do have the same effect.

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

Even a file coming directly from site could be a corrupted one,with file missing.

When loading skins the software looks for files pointed in the lua file,

that has to point the files in your folder,

if the file is missing in folder ,

the software loads a generic file.

1-Simply find a "rougmeth" file corresponding to your scheme and replace.

2-Or rename the file existing in your folder to point to the correct file

3-Or check out your lua file to see what is the file pointed.

good game

Edited by cromhunt

On 8/20/2021 at 2:49 PM, dresoccer4 said:

this is good to know. i think it's installed in the right place, below are screenshots

1-folder1.jpg

Its not, actually. You don't even have the folder corresponding to the skin in your directory. It's called 'Canada STU Chatham 314', which you don't have at all.

Open the zip, then copy the entire folder called 'Canada STU Chatham 314' into your liveries directory.

Megalax's Livery Studio

My Liveries in the User Files

I'll stick a maple leaf on anything...

On 8/22/2021 at 3:36 PM, Megalax said:

Its not, actually. You don't even have the folder corresponding to the skin in your directory. It's called 'Canada STU Chatham 314', which you don't have at all.

Open the zip, then copy the entire folder called 'Canada STU Chatham 314' into your liveries directory.

i didn't think the folder name mattered to the actual livery. just what appears in the in-sim drop down menu

13 hours ago, Nealius said:

Folder name doesn't matter. The drop-down menu name comes from the name line in the livery's description.lua.

yes you're right. i actually know this because i always go in and modify that as i'll know it's a downloaded livery 😄 

2 hours ago, dresoccer4 said:

yes you're right. i actually know this because i always go in and modify that as i'll know it's a downloaded livery 😄 

Are you trying to install this livery into a default livery folder? If you are the game will revert it to the original every time you update.

It could be just me, but I'm extremely confused as to what you're trying to do here. The livery is meant to be dragged and dropped into the livery folder, and that alone should be enough to get it to work.

Edited by Megalax

Megalax's Livery Studio

20 hours ago, dresoccer4 said:

i didn't think the folder name mattered to the actual livery. just what appears in the in-sim drop down menu

It doesn't but if you don't have the folder which contains the livery you want in your livery folder, then you won't get the livery you're looking for.

Megalax's Livery Studio

25 minutes ago, Megalax said:

Are you trying to install this livery into a default livery folder? If you are the game will revert it to the original every time you update.

It could be just me, but I'm extremely confused as to what you're trying to do here. The livery is meant to be dragged and dropped into the livery folder, and that alone should be enough to get it to work.

this got solved already if you look a couple posts above yours. issue was the downloaded livery somehow got corrupted and only a few of the files were unzipped, which caused the other livery to bleed through. the same file was re-downloaded and unzipped and this time all of the files were present so it worked 🙂 

• Thanks 1