AIM-120 Missing Contrails

Cmptohocah

16 minutes ago, GGTharos said:

Oh please.  You know all of that is BS, this is all about said targets knowing when they're being launched on in TWS. 😉

All for the sake of realism (and fairplay).😁

Besides there will still be cloudy days, and they can still fire u ndetected below 8km(well due to  loft a bit lower).

Visualy it will be exciting to see a novice pilot trying to inrease PK, drawing trails in the sky up there.

Son: Look dad! There is an eagle in the sky!

Father: Hurry up son, before somebody else catches him!

• 6 months later...

Short reliable tracks are always welcome because they make testers save some precious time (to check or document more bugs, or to test fixes for instance) In this case, I think what we need most is real life videos of pilots testing various air-to-air missile types from a high altitude, so devs can see what it looks like (contrail size, transparency...).

If you can gather 4 or 5 good videos for different missiles, I'll make a request.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

4 hours ago, Flappie said:

Short reliable tracks are always welcome because they make testers save some precious time (to check or document more bugs, or to test fixes for instance) In this case, I think what we need most is real life videos of pilots testing various air-to-air missile types from a high altitude, so devs can see what it looks like (contrail size, transparency...).

If you can gather 4 or 5 good videos for different missiles, I'll make a request.

Thanks a lot for replying.

On page one of this thread there are three separate real life videos of 120 contrailing. Some of them are contrailing even before the actual launching platform starts contrailing, but since we don't have any data on altitude, it would be safe to say that as soon as the aircraft start contrailing, the missiles should too.

I can't really prove that missiles that smoke contrail also, since the trail they leave behind a smoke anyway, but I think it's safe to say thay if smokeless one leave contrails, so should the classic ones.

Only altitude info about the Slammer contrailing that is known to me, comes from 1999 Eagle-Fulcrum engagement where according to the F-15C pilot, missile launch happened around 24-27 thousand feet. Fulcrum pilot visually confirmed the contrails and hense ordered evasive maneuvers. I can leave a link to YT videos veirfying these claims, if needed.

Thanks again.

Edited by Cmptohocah

Cmptohocah=CMPTOHOCAH 😉

Thanks, these should do for the AIM-120 alone. I think we need some more videos showing other missile types being fired at high altitude, so all A2A missiles get contrails at the same time. Do we have something on R-3, R-27 or R-77 missiles?

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

10 hours ago, Flappie said:

Thanks, these should do for the AIM-120 alone. I think we need some more videos showing other missile types being fired at high altitude, so all A2A missiles get contrails at the same time. Do we have something on R-3, R-27 or R-77 missiles?

It's quite difficult to find videos of high altitude Russian/Soviet missile shots. I will do some more research in the next days.
Here is one of, what I presume, is R-77-1

Another high-altitude R-77-1 shot

Here's a high-alt R-73 shot

High-alt shots from Su-27, but I am not sure what type of missiles are being fired. I guess it can be either/or R-27, R-73

As I have mentioned before, it's very difficult to tell with "smokey" missiles which part is their smoke and which part is the contrails, but it's a pretty safe bet to say that as soon as the "smokeless" missiles start producing contrails, so should the "smokey" ones.

I see no reason why an 120, for example, would contrail but R-27 would not - you can substitute 120 and R-27 for any air-to-air missile in this sentence really.

• Thanks 1

Cmptohocah=CMPTOHOCAH 😉

• 8 months later...

https://youtu.be/V0QgHZuYx7Q

Based on the other videos and this one I would say the contrails should be more visible at altitude 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...