Module Icon Customisation Mod - change the main DCS screen icons however you want

I've used the "DCS Module Enabler" tool in the past, but I wasn't really satisfied because it disabled full functionality of modules once they were turned off. Some planes I don't fly like the TF-51 and I don't want it in my modules list, but are needed active to join MP servers. I also got annoyed at the ordering of the icons and wanted to clean it up.

So I've made a small mod:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3317939/

To get full use out of it you need to edit the file and add/remove the modules you want in the order you want, the readme.txt explains this it's actually really easy.

Folder structure is setup to work with JSGME or similar, since you probably need to re-add it after every patch in the main game folder.

Integrity check passes, logged into Growling Sidewinder server ok. I've never failed an IC though so assuming it should tell me straight away.

• Thanks 2

Pimax Crystal VR & Simpit User | Ryzen CPU & Nvidia RTX GPU | Some of my mods

Thanks you, I will give it a try ... I wish ED would update the DCS desktop such that we coul place the icons whenever we want and thus do away with the icon scrolling thingy.

Edit: OK, I got it to work .. it's not too hard, but some people may hesitate at having to edit a LUA file 🙂  by the way, your sample file has the Hornet appear twice.

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

5 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

Thanks you, I will give it a try ... I wish ED would update the DCS desktop such that we coul place the icons whenever we want and thus do away with the icon scrolling thingy.

Edit: OK, I got it to work .. it's not too hard, but some people may hesitate at having to edit a LUA file 🙂  by the way, your sample file has the Hornet appear twice.

Hi Rudel, I recognise your name from the A-4 training missions 👍

Thanks yeah that's probably low priority to make draggable icons, it looks like they started trying to sort them but only moved Nevada and then stopped. Spotted the Hornet twice thanks, updated the file.

On editing the lua file - it depends how important it is to them to cleanup the screen. It's a pretty easy edit, just depends on the will to do it. I don't actually know lua I just hacked it together with persistence lol.

In any case I've left a message on the DCS Module Hider mod - it would be great if he could integrate re-arrangement into his GUI and change the method of hiding modules.. the interface would just need some up/down arrows along with the output change. I didn't see a post in the forum for that mod, so hopefully he sees the message on user files.

Edited by TAIPAN_
  • Like 1

On 8/15/2021 at 5:52 AM, TAIPAN_ said:

Hi Rudel, I recognise your name from the A-4 training missions 👍

Thanks yeah that's probably low priority to make draggable icons, it looks like they started trying to sort them but only moved Nevada and then stopped. Spotted the Hornet twice thanks, updated the file.

On editing the lua file - it depends how important it is to them to cleanup the screen. It's a pretty easy edit, just depends on the will to do it. I don't actually know lua I just hacked it together with persistence lol.

In any case I've left a message on the DCS Module Hider mod - it would be great if he could integrate re-arrangement into his GUI and change the method of hiding modules.. the interface would just need some up/down arrows along with the output change. I didn't see a post in the forum for that mod, so hopefully he sees the message on user files.

Hello! I just stumbled onto this. I sure do wish the userfiles had a comment notification feature. 

If you are comfortable with github and code, here is the git. Feel free to edit at your leisure. https://github.com/asherao/DCS-Module-Hider-DMoHi

I have used your mod and I am pretty excited. Not only does it work well, but it also seems to solve a requested feature from people that use DCS: DiCE. 
When I have time I'll gladly integrate your solution into DMoHi! 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bailey said:

Hello! I just stumbled onto this. I sure do wish the userfiles had a comment notification feature. 

If you are comfortable with github and code, here is the git. Feel free to edit at your leisure. https://github.com/asherao/DCS-Module-Hider-DMoHi

I have used your mod and I am pretty excited. Not only does it work well, but it also seems to solve a requested feature from people that use DCS: DiCE. 
When I have time I'll gladly integrate your solution into DMoHi! 

Great thanks! I saw a message from you I'll check it out

On 8/20/2021 at 5:06 PM, tugais said:

Thank you for this mod, I wanted to get rid of all these icons for years.

No worries, they've annoyed me for ages.

@Baileyhas now integrated similar code into his DCS module hider where you can make the changes using a GUI:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3312052/

• Thanks 1